Notices

New to the board.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the board.

Hey guys,I've finally taken the decision to make a change in my life.The past 15 years from the age of 15 I could probably count with 2 hands the number of sober weekends I've had.

Although I stay away from it during the week I am not silly enough to let that get in the way of knowing I have a problem.I can't go for one drink on a Friday after work as it leads to 24/48 hour binge with little or no sleep.The big factor in my decision is when I decided to start using other things during these binges after years of disliking anything and anyone associated with it.

So today sees me 2 weeks away from alcohol and struggling to get the day in as my buddies are away out for the weekend enjoying themselves with a realitivly responsible drink.This brought me to creating my first post and hopefully another stepping stone to a healthier and happier life.

So hello everyone
Old 07-12-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi SpiceFire, I am only 3 days in so not much advice for you..Welcome and good luck
Old 07-12-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi & Welcome SpiceFire

Great job on 2 weeks glad you found SR
Old 07-12-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR SpiceFire! Read and post here often. You will find a ton of advice and support. Good luck on your journey.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR SpiceFire! 2 weeks is a great accomplishment, congratulations! You will find a lot of support and info about all the different recovery methods/plans here for the taking.

One of the changes most of us need to make when we start our is the types or places we hand out and the people we hang out with. It's pretty common to find that a lot of our "friends" are reality just drinkng buddies. Once alcohol is out of the relationship, there is really nothing left in common. That doesn't mean you have to entirely cut off contact with everyone you know, but you will learn which of your friends are true friends as they will support your decision and not really think twice about it.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 07-12-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Great decision and welcome!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on two weeks sober!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, SpiceFire, to SR.

Sobriety can be one of the best gifts you will ever give yourself.

Congratulations on two sober weeks.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the cool replies and the good advice amongst them.It's hard as my friend circle of the past decade as revolved around drinking.

The friends I have would laugh if I told them the steps as I'm taking as in Ireland as a lot of you will know it is a way of life for a lot of us.

Today I know the pubs will be full of the craic and laughs but I fast foward my thoughts to tomorrow or Tuesday and for now it's making me steer clear.

You are so right about sober being the best gift,I feel so positive and happy,it's crazy how appealing the poison is even though I know what it brings a few hours after the last drink.

Cheers everyone and the best of luck to you all aswell with any battles you are up against.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, SpiceFire. I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of July 2015 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are in early recovery.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Welcome to SR, SpiceFire. I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of July 2015 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are in early recovery.
Thanks so much,I have a good feeling about this as just for today the few posts on here have put the "going for a pint" idea to the back of my mind.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done on two weeks sober. You are already using a good technique when you "fast forward your thoughts" to the consequences of a binge.
Good luck to you, you'll find SR incredibly useful and supportive.
x
Old 07-12-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, Spice.

Read around the forums when you have time, there is a lot of wisdom here.

Good for you, there are others here from your lovely country. Not everyone drinks like we do, it just seems like that to us when we are in the middle of it.

It is so worth it to remain sober, healthy, and happy.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum SpiceFire!!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Spicefire, if my math is correct, you are roughly 30 years old with 15 years of partying under your belt. I support you 100% that maybe its time to make some changes and write the next chapter in your life. And may it be filled with sobriety and happiness. Great job on being 2 weeks into that next chapter already.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome SpiceFire! This is a great place, tons of support and advice.
There is a thread started every Thursday night/Friday morning (depending on where you are) that you may like. It's made specifically to help us newcomer's get through the weekend, so keep and eye out for it!

Here's the one from this past weekend, so you know what to look for:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-9-until.html

Last edited by site1Q84; 07-12-2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added link
Old 07-12-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Honestly guys,thanks for making me feel so welcome and making it a lot easier to talk about my issues,I haven't opened up to anyone else other than the usual "never drinking again" nonsense.

Tonight was a bit touch and go,I was gonna try an alcohol free night out but have made it to now on the sofa and feel content knowing I have another fresh Monday ahead.

I will give them threads a browse tomorrow evening and give a bit more input elsewhere on the board.Also any newbies like myself who want or need to talk to someone going through the same scenarios just get in touch
Old 07-12-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Spice, I wish I'd had the courage & sense to stop at 30. I went on for decades longer. Very bad things happened. Be proud of yourself for making this life changing decision. Glad to have you with us.