Notices

Day 18 And Really Struggling

Old 04-03-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 18 And Really Struggling

Almost three weeks in and things have been going okay, there have been small ups and downs, but mostly positive. For some reason today has just been a major struggle. Nothing bad or out of the ordinary happened, I've just been down like I can't ever remember. I want to drink so bad tonight. I'm not sure where this is coming from but this feeling of hopelessness, despair, and worthlessness just crept up on me. I really want to drink. Has this sudden drastic emotional swing happened to anyone else early in recovery? WTF is going on?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. Very common, friend.

Sit on your hands if you have to. Walk, run, do jumping jacks, call a sober friend.

These feelings are temporary. Hang on, keep posting.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it happens to everyone John - it certainly happened to me.

It's very common and normal but it can be a shock it it suddenly hits you after you been doing ok. It's kinda like falling off the pink cloud that some people describe.

It helped me to remember my mind and body was healing. The feelings, the lowness are real - but what I was feeling was not necessarily 'real' but just the manifestation of that healing.

I had some ups and downs but it all evened out eventually.

Don''t despair - you'll feel better
why not check out the weekender thread or the Class of April support thread?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2015-a-7.html
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-until-11.html

Both are in this forum.

D
Old 04-03-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Johnt have you got a sober plan ? http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

And you can try this for cravings http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

You can print these off to keep which will prove to be essential
Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Feeling Lonely

6 days sober after 20+ not. Feeling lonely, confused and depressed. Overwhelming!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll be at 3 weeks on Sunday so I'm right there with you. Definitely had the urge to drink tonight as well. Sometimes just getting on here and reading posts from others really helps. Just stay focused on your health.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

2change, nice job on 6 days! Good work
Old 04-03-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, 2change
Old 04-03-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Soberwolf, thanks for the links. I think ill make it through tonight. I'm trying to keep occupied with a book and a call to a friend, and reading through everyones posts here on SR which helps immensely. Friday nights are always difficult for me (to not be drinking), that coupled with my extreme emotional dip has made tonight incredibly challenging. Luckily I keep no alcohol in the house anymore, which helps too.

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. It's so nice having people who can relate at my fingertips.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there, you guys. The more days you accumulate, the easier it gets. But it's so rotten hard in the beginning. But it is possible.
Johnt, I had to stay busy in the beginning. I was either doing something or sleeping, as I recall. I watched lots of tv and movies. Lots of series like sons of Anarchy and house of cards. Anything to distract myself from urges to drink. Eating well and exercise helps too and don't forget about ICE CREAM!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was an emotional mess for the first couple months. Suddenly I had to actually deal with emotions without my numbing liquid and while in a really intense healing process.

I just kept saying, "I'm going to bed sober tonight, no matter what happens." The longer I did it the easier it got.

You will make it too. And I did the same thing, I spent a lot of time here reading posts and posting myself. There is a deep well of wisdom and experience here. Nice to "meet" you.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"I just kept saying, "I'm going to bed sober tonight, no matter what happens." The longer I did it the easier it got."

I like that. I'll remember that mantra for myself.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Court jester

Day 18 here as well. Felt kinda funky all afternoon and evening despite a very positive first 17 days. Part of the ups and downs to be expected in the next 3-6 months. Been here before and I remember it well. It passes. Just don't drink.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hang in and though it might not feel like it at the moment, the mood will pass, eventually. Being sober has made my emotional life a bit more intense. When I was drinking my only moods were numb, followed by regret. Now I have quite the range. Have others found that they cry much easier now? I watched Emperor of All Maladies this week and was choking back the tears. In past times I would have found a man of my age crying to be embarrassing, now I don't give a hoot.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

you can do it. don't beat yourself up over the urge. It is part of this condition. Look at the desire and think about all the good you have. Is trading it worth a drink? Bless you my friend, I will send positive thoughts about you. Stay on the path, talk to somebody go to a meeting, or hell clean out the fridge. Sometimes activity can help the urges pass.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found day 3, 12,14 and 18 the worst days ! You can do this! I believe in you!
Old 04-04-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

You are awesome John

Welcome 2Change
Old 04-04-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

These feelings can come out of the blue and can be so strong they can really try and squash your resolve. In my experience, after they've happened and I haven't succumbed I feel so proud of myself that the next time I'm that bit stronger and ready to take on those feelings of doubt...............
............."building sober muscles" the wise folk on told me it's called

All the best mate
Old 04-04-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Friday nights were really tough for me in early sobriety. Funny thing is it wasn't my witching hour when I was actively drinking. I guess I perceived it as a night when all my friends were out inbibing and I felt left out. Try to have a plan in place each Friday and the desire to drink will slowly, but surely fade away with time. Congrats on 18 days.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 19. So happy I didn't let things get to me. Prior to the last 19 days getting drunk last night would have been a given. Thanks so much to everyone's words of encouragement!