Notices

One week ober, feel like a zombie today. Help?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week ober, feel like a zombie today. Help?

Hi. Thank you for any help/input anyone may have. My sobriety has lasted a week and I am thoroughly grateful for each day I wake with a clear mind and even better, a clean conscience without regrets of the things done while drunk.
However, today has me so perplexed. I have gone to a meeting with AA every night, I have listened and of course read the literature. I agree and accept what I am and the steps I need to take in order to truly work on my recovery. So I cannot understand why today I seem to be in a fog or zombie state. I woke and showered and fed the kids. Then I have walked around my house aimlessly. It is as if my brain went on strike. No thoughts really or anxiety....just...blank. I am not depressed or worried. I know in my soul that I will not drink today. I should feel confident and happy. So why do I feel nothing at all? I tried exercising. Reading, taking a 30 min cat nap. Nothing is helping. Even my muscles feel like they have taken the day off.
Did anyone else feel this way or have days like this? Is it normal? Thank you for any advice or suggestions you can give.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah its normal. Your body is healing and using a lot of your energy to do so. It gets better.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go JustBex congrats on a week its normal to feel how your feeling it takes time

it gets a lot better congrats again
Old 02-20-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congratulations on your week! I think what you describe is very common, i know that i felt like that. Early recovery is an emotioanl rollercoaster and it's filled with up's and down's, I didn't know how i would be feeling from one day to the next sometimes. It takes time for our bodies / brain to heal after we stop drinking. Keep up the great work, things will get better and level out with more time. Glad you've joined us!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I totally went throgh that and still are to a degree at 3 months but not as bad as earlier.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry to give my usual spiel...but since we always have new folks I guess I can keep giving my advice!

Basically I had the same experience. And it was dangerous. Because whenever I sort of felt "blah" or even a little "down" I would always think of booze since it would make me feel better. If you are at all, like I was, a person who drank because it made them "feel good" then I have some advice. Folks like us need to satisfy that "pleasure seeking" aspect to ourselves. And it doesn't have to be bad and it certainly isn't a character flaw. In fact, it can make us better people. I highly recommend combining your new sobriety with ditching any other bad/unhealthy habits you may have (nicotine, soft drinks, junk food, etc.). Then I suggest you really consider eating a more plant based diet, less meat, more exercise, and perhaps even juicing. Now I never used to be a "health nut" or anything and if you would have told me these things 6 months ago I would have laughed. But the fact is...far from being a health nut hippie type...I discovered this "healthy living" thing to be a perfect substitute for booze. It actually physically and mentally makes you feel so darn GREAT that it gives me the same "high" that alcohol used to (even more).

Just a thought...and don't even get me started on Teavana...check it out lol! : )