Notices

Feeling really down and want to drink

Old 01-27-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling really down and want to drink

Hi everyone,

I'm really down right now and the desire to drink is very strong. At this moment I just feel like I can't see going on for the rest of my life without drinking. I get these really bad down cycles and it takes me a while sometimes to get out of them. Just need some support. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Forget the rest of your life and worry about today.

When I get those strong cravings, I eat a big meal and that usually takes care of it. Remember the reasons you came here and decided to seek out help for your problem.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm responding as someone who has only been sober a few days, though I have had longish sober periods. I would just ask you what you think drinking will achieve? A buzz and a pleasant glow no doubt. Maybe unconsciousness if that is how you drink.

But then you will be back to where you were when you first came here, if not immediately, pretty soon.

I think our addictive voice - the primal immature self that does not think about consequences, will do pretty much anything to convince us to drink - including telling you how miserable you are without it!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Becoming drinking will only keep worsening how you feel it will keep you down stick close to your sober buds & could you call a trusted friend to speak to who knows what your going through aswell ?

By staying sober this feeling will pass... by drinking you keep it in cycle

Hang in there bud dont drink ride it out strenghten your sobriety http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

You can pm anytime bud
Old 01-27-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't think about the rest of your life withour drinking just focus on now. Its too overwhelming to be concerned with the future. Take sobriety one day at a time. Good luck becoming
Old 01-27-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

What can you do right now in this moment of feeling down to turn things around? What will work for you? You can find something to get you through this day. If continue depression is a problem, it might be an idea to talk to your dr and let him know.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just don't drink today.

You are in your head right now, thinking too much about it. Go get busy! Read or play a video game, do something else besides sit there and think about not drinking. Organize a closet, even if you don't want to. Are you hungry or tired? Take a nap, call a friend. Just don't drink today!!

Jennifer
Old 01-27-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks livinginhope! I'm trying to just focus on today and remember the bad times and why I have to quit. It's just when I feel this low, my brain only seems to remember the relief (although temporary) that alcohol gives me. Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lord, do I understand the feeling. I am on Day 30 today and it's tough as hell. The AV is whispering in my ear. I am doing my best to ignore it.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're feeling down. I never used to be able to imagine living my life without drinking but now i wouldn't swap my sobriety for anything. Try to just focus on the here and now and do whatever you need to do to get through today, it honestly gets so much easier. Stay strong... i hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone for the thoughtful replies! You are really amazing and I'm lucky to have so much support. I'm not going to drink and I know it will solve nothing but at the moment I feel like I can't go on feeling like this. It will pass though. My depression is getting worse and I'm going to see my doc on Thursday. I have been trying to keep busy and I forced myself to exercise which usually helps but didn't do much today. Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good to hear becoming
Old 01-27-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by becoming View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm really down right now and the desire to drink is very strong. At this moment I just feel like I can't see going on for the rest of my life without drinking. I get these really bad down cycles and it takes me a while sometimes to get out of them. Just need some support. Thanks!
Thanks for talking about it, you did the right thing! I know when I was around 90 days or so sober I was afraid to talk to people about the fact I still got the desire to drink. It sounds crazy and it was! I was afraid that because I was still having urges to drink something must be wrong with the way I was working my program of recovery and a felt a lot of shame that I must have been doing something wrong to cause me to have those urges. Of course that is what my disease wanted me to think. It also wanted me to feel shame and isolate myself and most importantly not talk to other people when those urges hit. Now I realize that if I have urges it is not because of something specifically wrong I did, it is because I am an alcoholic.

Time helps out a lot. The more time went by without me taking a drink the fewer and farther between the urges to drink have gotten. I am now 6 months sober ( still very young in sobriety) but I can honestly say if I had continued to experience the amount and intensity of cravings I had in the first 100 days or so I would have just gone ahead and drank. However people I trusted assured me that things would get better and I trusted them and adopted an attitude of "this too shall pass" and it did. They were right, things continue to get better. I am sure grateful I trusted their advice and didn't pick up that first drink.

I don't know if my obsession will ever be completely removed. I do know that today I haven't had a real desire to drink in almost 25 days and for the hopeless kind of drunk I was that is nothing short of a real miracle.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks so much RedCasey! I was actually really apprehensive about posting it for the same reasons. I really appreciate you telling me you felt the same way. Makes me feel less crazy too. I'm gonna hang in there it is just tough right now. I have gone as long as 21 months sober and messed up. This time around I don't even have 21 days yet but I'm determined. Just gotta get past the rough spots. Lucky I have everyone here!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by becoming View Post
I'm really down right now and the desire to drink is very strong.
I burned my hand on the stove and the desire to stick it in a bucket of acid is very strong.

Only the addicted reason like this.

Perhaps we should both do something helpful instead.

Stay strong, my friend!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks nonsensical! You are absolutely right.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can relate to the down feeling; it's been kicking my behind lately! I see you live in NY. I'm in VT. The winter isn't very kind to us in the Northeast as we have so very little sun and it can get very cold. I buy myself fresh flowers when I remember to. I also need to get a few more plants. Some living green around me may help; maybe you too? What I do know is that drinking will NOT help.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks soberclover! I'm very sorry to hear that you are feeling down as well. I hope you feel better soon. You are absolutely right about the winters. It makes everything worse! Fresh flowers and plants are a great idea, thank you! Thank you for reinforcing that drinking is not a good idea as well.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are feeling down. Winter kicks my rear with dark, cold mornings and equally cold, dark nights. Drinking used to be my default cure but only made things worse. If you garden maybe look at plant catalogs online. Even if you don't garden they might cheer you.

I love your screen name. One simple word to encapsulate all the wonderful possibilities waiting out there. If we stop drinking. I'm glad you came and posted.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks very much Ruby2! I am sorry that this time of year negatively affects you too 😞 I do not garden but have always been drawn too it. Thanks very much for the kind words about my screen name!