Notices

Urge Surfing

Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Urge Surfing

I first want to thank Pinkdog for writing about this technique. I read a post regarding Urge Surfing so I started to research and I really think it may help me if I study about it.

Uncontrollable urges are what have brought me back to drinking time and time again. If I can learn to manage my urges I believe I will be on my way to solid recovery.

Just type "Urge Surfing" into Google and you will find many links there.

here is a small excerpt of one webpage to get you started:

The Technique of Urge Surfing

Mindfulness allows us to bypass these problems associated with avoidance and disputation. Instead of trying to distract from or argue with the unpleasant thoughts, feelings or urges, mindfulness simply makes the thoughts, feelings or urges less important. When we use mindfulness we stay exposed to the thoughts feelings or urges for their natural duration without feeding or repressing them.

In fact, if we just let an urge be - non judgmentally - without feeding it or fighting it (Fighting it is just another way of feeding it anyway) then it will crest subside and pass.

Of course they come back again but over a period of time. However each time you overcome a bout of cravings they become less intense and less frequent if we don't feed the urges and if we don't give in to the addiction. Moreover our mindfulness technique of urge surfing improves. If we have a slip and give into the impulse we will have increased urges for a while. However we can still apply urge surfing all over again.

Thanks Pinkdog
Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

here are a few of my favourite links

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D