Notices

Really?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really?

I don't have time to write a lengthy post, but need to confess. I found out last night my mother (in her 70's) has been drinking heavily and hiding it. After having a family member clear out the booze, she managed to find a bottle of something she would normally not drink and she was found plastered. What was my reaction? I had a beer. Huh? What? My addiction knows no logical boundaries. I still want to turn to alcohol in times of severe emotional distress. I need a new plan.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I don't have time to write a lengthy post, but need to confess. I found out last night my mother (in her 70's) has been drinking heavily and hiding it. After having a family member clear out the booze, she managed to find a bottle of something she would normally not drink and she was found plastered. What was my reaction? I had a beer. Huh? What? My addiction knows no logical boundaries. I still want to turn to alcohol in times of severe emotional distress. I need a new plan.
Oh Tang, I'm sorry to hear that. No doubt, it was emotionally rough to find your mother that way.

I managed to successfully navigate a stressful situation a couple of days ago by 1) reminding myself that this too shall pass, and 2) taking aspirin and a hot bath (my new go-to destress technique).

Exercise helps too, but it's too cold and wet outside right now. When I really need to escape my life, I read a really good, long novel.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a beer. Huh? What? My addiction knows no logical boundaries. I still want to turn to alcohol in times of severe emotional distress. I need a new plan.

Hi.

I certainly agree with needing a new plan.

I chose one a lot of years ago that works for millions as long as we stick close and WORK IT. AA keeps things simple and is there with experts on how to do it face to face without hiding.

Far too often our way does not work for long term sobriety because too many drift off with other priorities which end up with us being more miserable than ever.

I needed to give up to win.

BE WELL
Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tang. So sorry for everything. I'm glad you're back here though. I hope your mom ther gets the help she needs and you keep trying. ((Hugs))
Old 01-26-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tang, I'm sorry about the situation with your mother. Try to remember she is on her own path, just as you are on yours. You will have the most chance of helping your mother and yourself by staying sober. You can do this.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Oh Tang))

I'm sorry...both for your mom and for your misstep. Was it only one beer? Dont beat yourself up. It was a small misstep...and a crazy stressful situation. You're right that you need a better plan. But you are back on track again! You got this.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Retweak your plan move forward bud

What could you add to strenghten your sobriety

Acceptance is key

You can read & print this off its very useful http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...recovery.html?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by milly4me View Post
((Oh Tang)) I'm sorry...both for your mom and for your misstep. Was it only one beer? Dont beat yourself up. It was a small misstep...and a crazy stressful situation. You're right that you need a better plan. But you are back on track again! You got this.
full disclosure, no. Beer(s). Either way it was a fail.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't justify your impulsive reaction to this event as an excuse to continue drinking. You can start this day over and begin your day by not drinking any more. Get rid of the alcohol. Drink water, eat, rest, and get yourself around positive people whether that is at a meeting or by continuing to reach out here on SR. We have to rein in our alcoholic impulses or they will continue to bring us down. You CAN get through this Tang.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Onward! The Beast has no shame--it's a predator. Kudo's to having only one. I'm sure your Beast is very proud of that. Revoke that lease. You are the landlord. Best wishes.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
Onward! The Beast has no shame--it's a predator. Kudo's to having only one. I'm sure your Beast is very proud of that. Revoke that lease. You are the landlord. Best wishes.
Thanks but it was more than one. Either way you are correct. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sometimes I wonder what is worse, Tang - our own alcoholic drinking and self-destruction, . . . or watching someone we love risk their health, security, happiness, well-being.

But as difficult as it may be to accept, your Mom is on her own journey.

Stay strictly focused on your own journey. Emotional triggers are the worst for me; finding healthy ways to cope is key.

Do you have face to face support, Tang?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Do you have face to face support, Tang?
That's next.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's next.
Good to hear, Tang. We are here for you 24/7/365.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The biggest challenge in Sobriety I found was finding new tools to put in the toolbox for when life throws a few curve balls!!

Go at things again and tweak your plan!!
Old 01-26-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I feel your pain. My whole life I've been upset with how much my father drinks. When I was a kid it was always beer, now as an adult, I see him chug from the bottle when no one is looking. I never wanted to be like him, but I am exactly like him. I'm here today hoping to fix this...
Old 01-26-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Tnag - but it's good you're back.
I agree with Anna - you have your own path just as your mother has hers.

Use the support you have - if it's not enough - get some more.
You can do this

D