Notices

In Desperate Need of Help

Old 01-25-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
''A day at a time..''

Exclamation In Desperate Need of Help

I didn't receive any responses in the methadon sub-forum. If there is an issue with me re-posting here I kindly ask a moderator to delete it.

Hello everyone.

I am going to try to summarize as best as I can. If there are any questions I will be happy to answer.

I am currently on 75mg a day of methadone and have been paying 12$/day or roughly 360$/month for about a year now. I haven't had a job in this time and have been able to BARELY come up with this money each month by some miracle. My entire family shares one car and the possibility of breaking down scares me every day since I have to go 4 days a week. By the way, there are no programs in my city for assistance paying or transportation. My clinic also doesn't accept insurance nor does the other one in my town.

It has become too much for me to worry about and I have had no luck finding a job. I am trying to find an option that is much more affordable. I have been looking at the prices for Suboxone and Subutex and have thought about going down in my dose and switching. According to the healthcare marketplace I can get insurance for roughly 80-90$ a month. I just wanted to note that even though I am unsure if it will cover these things.

I simply just really need some advice on a cheaper option for me. I am not ready to give it all up yet. I have only quit using for the past two months.

Thank you.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about the prices of subs or whether insurance will cover it.

I'm sorry for what you are going through and hope someone else will come along that knows more about this.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-25-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
''A day at a time..''

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about the prices of subs or whether insurance will cover it.

I'm sorry for what you are going through and hope someone else will come along that knows more about this.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
I didn't think many here would know but the other sub-forum doesn't get hardly any traffic and I thought that there was some chance someone here would. As I said, I am fairly desperate.

Thank you Amy for your uplifting post.

EDIT: Something worth noting is that I turned 20 a few months ago. I noticed that the insurance had a 6k deductible. I only partially know how that works but I am gonna say that it isn't a possibility at the moment.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Viril. When I was on Methadone my insurance did cover it. Instead of 80 bucks a week I just had to pay the copay weekly so it was only 25 a week which saved over $220 a month. I have also been on suboxone in the past and that was an even cheaper option. My doctor would write scripts for 2 months so all I had to pay was the copay for the doctor visit and the cost of the prescription which was minimal plus there were discounts offered by the makers of suboxone back then. Now this was 3 years ago though so I am not quite sure if things have changed since then.

If methadone is truly working for you I would try to find out if the clinic you are at takes insurance. If not maybe try another clinic in your area. Switching from methadone to suboxone while doable is a tad painful. You have to get down to 25mg or so and then take like 4 days off before inducing on subs. Also you will get at least a months worth of suboxone so have to be in the right mindset or you might end up abusing it.

Good Luck. Hope that helps!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
''A day at a time..''

@Marcus

I wrote in my OP that neither my clinic nor the other one in town takes insurance. The other one does reimbursements once a year which doesn't help too much and it is twice the distance every day.

Thanks anyways though.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry missed that part about clinic not taking insurance. That is not cool!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well that being said and if you truly can't afford methadone and there is no cheaper clinic in your area and none of them are willing to offer discounts to people who need it and you want to be on Opiate Replacement Therapy I guess suboxone is your main option. You are going to have to call around about which suboxone prescribers take insurance as well as call pharmacies to see how much the suboxone will cost thru the insurance you are trying to get.

Here is the link to the suboxone savings card.

Savings Card | SUBOXONE®*(buprenorphine and naloxone) Sublingual Film (CIII)
Old 01-25-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
''A day at a time..''

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Well that being said and if you truly can't afford methadone and there is no cheaper clinic in your area and none of them are willing to offer discounts to people who need it and you want to be on Opiate Replacement Therapy I guess suboxone is your main option. You are going to have to call around about which suboxone prescribers take insurance as well as call pharmacies to see how much the suboxone will cost thru the insurance you are trying to get.

Here is the link to the suboxone savings card.
I have been on suboxone in the past and it was around 125$ for the visit and 280$ for the script. I had no idea about the card. What have been your experiences with the card? Can you use it every month? Have you heard what it takes off without insurance?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here is what the site says about non-insured

†For eligible patients not using insurance, this card covers up to $1.11 off per individual 2 mg Film (up to 90 Films or $100 per month), $2.22 off per individual 4 mg and 8 mg Film (up to 90 Films or $200 per month), and up to $4.44 off per individual 12 mg Film (up to 60 Films or $266 per month). Multiple fills are allowed each month up to maximums listed.

You should definitely do your homework if you choose this route. Again this card only goes through 6/30/2015, but they have been extending it for like 4 years now 6 months at a time. If you can get insured and find a psych doc that will take it (and not charge you $125 a visit - copay only) and also your script covered this card will basically cover the cost of your meds.

Again DO NOT take my word for it. Make some calls. Take the card to the pharmacy even and make sure you know for sure before you decide to switch. I would hate to see you get on sub and pay more than the clinic.

And yes I used it every month with my insurance and the card covered the entire cost of the meds. I was on 12mg a day at that point I believe so 45 8mg films. Again it is only for the films.

So why did you go on methadone after being on sub?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
''A day at a time..''

My habit was at the point where the suboxone just was not holding me. I didn't have the strength at the time to experience any discomfort.

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Here is what the site says about non-insured

†For eligible patients not using insurance, this card covers up to $1.11 off per individual 2 mg Film (up to 90 Films or $100 per month), $2.22 off per individual 4 mg and 8 mg Film (up to 90 Films or $200 per month), and up to $4.44 off per individual 12 mg Film (up to 60 Films or $266 per month). Multiple fills are allowed each month up to maximums listed.

You should definitely do your homework if you choose this route. Again this card only goes through 6/30/2015, but they have been extending it for like 4 years now 6 months at a time. If you can get insured and find a psych doc that will take it (and not charge you $125 a visit - copay only) and also your script covered this card will basically cover the cost of your meds.

Again DO NOT take my word for it. Make some calls. Take the card to the pharmacy even and make sure you know for sure before you decide to switch. I would hate to see you get on sub and pay more than the clinic.

And yes I used it every month with my insurance and the card covered the entire cost of the meds. I was on 12mg a day at that point I believe so 45 8mg films. Again it is only for the films.

So why did you go on methadone after being on sub?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by virileagitur742 View Post
I didn't receive any responses in the methadon sub-forum. If there is an issue with me re-posting here I kindly ask a moderator to delete it.
sometimes there are genuine common sense good reasons for cross-posting

Like I said tho, it's the weekend - I appreciate you want responses, but they may not come til next week.

D
Old 01-25-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My habit was at the point where the suboxone just was not holding me. I didn't have the strength at the time to experience any discomfort.
I just wanted to make sure you were not abusing the suboxone before because unless you are in a better place now trust me it WILL happen again. I was doing 2 grams of raw H a day IV ($240 a day) and a high dose of sub could hold me, but I was still chasing a high. That in turn made me sneak a little extra sub because I wanted that dam buzz! Then of course I would run out a week early and find my way back to shooting dope. Then when my appointment came I had already been using for a week and of course I couldn't take the sub at that point because I would go into precipitated withdrawals. So I would eventually kick a week later and start the cycle all over again.

Suboxone is a great tool if you are in the right mindset. Having to go in daily for methadone truly did change things for me. Sure I could go out and use, but once my dose was high enough using barely did a thing (same goes for sub of course if you are taking it every day but that is up to you). Just be honest with yourself and where you are at. Best of luck to you!!!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

is it an option to get help with your recovery through NA and get off everything>
Old 01-26-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
''A day at a time..''

Originally Posted by finaltime View Post
is it an option to get help with your recovery through NA and get off everything>
That is ideal but I am not completely there yet. I don't want to take the chance and end up relapsing. I try to be realistic with my situation. I have made that mistake before.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That is ideal but I am not completely there yet. I don't want to take the chance and end up relapsing. I try to be realistic with my situation. I have made that mistake before.
Final does make a good point. Not trying to pressure you into anything but it is something to think about. How long has it been since you used (besides methadone of course)? Do you still drink alcohol? If you are going to come down off methadone anyway eventually the training wheels do have to come off . Well I have seen some lifers out there, but obviously getting off everything would be best. If you do it slow over say 4 months it will not be that painful.

Again I don't know where you are at, but it is an option. If you throw yourself into recovery you just might surprise yourself. Good Luck!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey, can you tell us your what city or town you live near? Maybe one of us can give you some info about a doctor or clinic that you don't know about.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

closed by request OP.

Dee
SR