Can a recovering alcoholic ever drink responsibly?

Old 04-15-2002, 02:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GirlfromNC

Can a recovering alcoholic ever drink responsibly?

My husband started recovery on March 6th 2002. He is an alcoholic and never went two days without drinking. He stayed sober for 20 something days and went to the store for a six-pack. Two days later he drank a couple of beers with a buddy. The next day, a couple. He seems to be thinking that he can now drink responsibly My opinion, however, is that its only a matter of time before he gets in the same pattern of reckless drinking. He asked me last night to ask on the chat what their opinion was so I'm thinking he is doubting himself already. I would really like some thoughts on this. Is he fooling himself? What are the statistics? Have you ever known anyone to ever go from reckless drinking to responsible drinking? When my husband got sober I was the most ignorant person on the topic of alcoholism. I knew he was an alcoholic but I didn't know anything more. I'm learning more and more everyday but this question has me stumped.

Thanks.

Holly

Old 04-15-2002, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs down

In my lifetime (I am 42) I have known one person who went from wreckless to what I would call "responsible" drinking. I've known a few that went from extremely wreckless to a bit less wreckless. I couldn't tell you the statistics, but most recovery programs advise abstinence. I just quit smoking, and I cannot imagine ever being able to be a "responsible" smoker.
Dino thought he could go back to "responsible" (lol) crack use. He's not out nearly as often or as much, but he still just lost an apartment over it.
I would think the person who can go from foolish indulgeance to sane use would be a rare bird indeed.

Hugs,
Smoke

[This message has been edited by smoke gets in my eyes (edited April 15, 2002).]
Old 04-15-2002, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
GirlfromNC

Hey Smoke.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I just needed someone else to say it. Thanks.

Holly

Old 04-15-2002, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi Holly

From personal experience with my A, he can't drink responsibly. A couple of beers at home a couple days a week, led to drinking a quart of 100 proof every day. I don't think many could make the change. Heard a speaker at a AA meeting and he said 1 O'Douls set him back to drinking. I guess it depends on the person. But in my opinion I don't think it happens often.

Take care.
Many hugs.
Love
Debbie
Old 04-16-2002, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

addiction is a progressive disease - even when in remission.... in my opinion - it will only be a matter of time before he is back to his old ways and even worse..... my addict said he could drink alcohol becuase his porblem was drugs.... one week later he was drinking 36-40 beers a days and shortly afterwards he was backto the drugs.....

I vote for abstinence....

Ogly
Old 04-16-2002, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GirlfromNC

Thank you Barbie and Ogly!

I agree 100%!! I believe that it is only a matter of time before he is back at it full speed ahead. It might take a week or it might take 6 months. The bottom line is this... Alcoholism is a disease with only one cure. Abstinence!You don't go to bed an alcoholic and wake up suddenly cured of those evil ways. I wish it was that easy but there are too many broken families and broken hearts because of alcoholism.

Holly

[This message has been edited by GirlfromNC (edited April 16, 2002).]