Notices

I need to be careful!

Old 11-26-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to be careful!

I'm sticking really close to you guys for the next few days. I'm heading out of town (only 80 miles away) to my husbands parents tomorrow for Thanksgiving and it's ALWAYS a HUGE drunk Fest with tons of people! I feel like they should call it Drunksgiving instead of Thanksgiving! It's so pathetic. Really?!? Do they need drink THAT much on Thanksgiving??? I'm a freaking alcoholic and I have NEVER been drunk on Thanksgiving (and I'm dead serious) !!! My husbands family also has a few people who have died of alcoholism recently. You think that would be a wake up call!!!!

I hate going there but am going because that is where my husband and children are going. BUT I would rather spend Thanksgiving at a homeless shelter volunteering (or hanging by my eyelids!) Maybe I will do that next year! I am going late and leaving early this year. I am driving separately so I can escape if I need to. I already told my husband. As far as his family...if they ask why I'm not staying longer....I'll just say "I don't want to spend my Thanksgiving with a bunch of drunk people!!!"

Sorry! Just needed to VENT! Thx for listening! Holidays are hard. :-( I hate turkey anyway! I know BAH HUMBUG! :-(
Old 11-26-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
learning to live

Hey Serindad!

In reality is just like any other day and it will pass. Like every other day you have the choice to drink or not.

Just let them make arses outta themselves and laugh in your head...or try some way to remove yourself from the situation..at the very least; walk outside, take a deep breath and remember who you want to be and remember when alcohol's in that equation we cant get to be that person.

Lots of love and hugs! You can do this. I will be in the same boat as you but am determined to be happy when surrounded by drunk idiots

WE GOT THIS!!!!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey hey,

Please don't hang yourself up by your eyelids next Thanksgiving you deserve better :=] I'm pretty woosy with alcohol-intense situations and haven't really done them, but a part of my plan when (and if) I do is to have something set up so I can physically get out of the situation for a few minutes just for a breather at least. I'm certainly not above faking an emergency phone call or claiming I'm claustrophobic if it gets me through.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Serenidad- I just wanted to wish you well on your Thanksgiving day.

I, too, feel some anxiety. This will be my second Thanksgiving without booze, but it really does not feel any better. For some reason, in my head, Thanksgiving and booze seem to go hand-in-hand for me. Perhaps it's just old habits which have yet to disappear.

Anyhow, stay strong and ignore any temptations. Just remember how you've been working hard towards you goal.

Happy T-Day!

Lusher
Old 11-26-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by growpath View Post
Hey Serindad! In reality is just like any other day and it will pass. Like every other day you have the choice to drink or not. Just let them make arses outta themselves and laugh in your head...or try some way to remove yourself from the situation..at the very least; walk outside, take a deep breath and remember who you want to be and remember when alcohol's in that equation we cant get to be that person. Lots of love and hugs! You can do this. I will be in the same boat as you but am determined to be happy when surrounded by drunk idiots WE GOT THIS!!!!
Thanks Grow! Great idea about taking a walk. I'm taking my puppy so he will love that. You hang in there too! And by the way...I'm not worried about drinking tomorrow. I'm worried about being triggered and resentful after watching all those drunk arses tomorrow and saying "now it's MY turn to drink" on Friday night or something! I think I will make a plan now to go to a meeting Friday night....
Old 11-26-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyroo72 View Post
Hey hey, Please don't hang yourself up by your eyelids next Thanksgiving you deserve better :=] I'm pretty woosy with alcohol-intense situations and haven't really done them, but a part of my plan when (and if) I do is to have something set up so I can physically get out of the situation for a few minutes just for a breather at least. I'm certainly not above faking an emergency phone call or claiming I'm claustrophobic if it gets me through.
Hmmmm....I will have to think of some escape plans. I'm taking my puppy so I'll just give her tons of water so she has to go for a million walks! Ha
Old 11-26-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to a race day (Melbourne cup) and booze was every where all day.

I had 4 guys from AA that I could call, anytime it got a bit much.

Between them and prayer, the day went well
Old 11-26-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lusher View Post
Hey Serenidad- I just wanted to wish you well on your Thanksgiving day. I, too, feel some anxiety. This will be my second Thanksgiving without booze, but it really does not feel any better. For some reason, in my head, Thanksgiving and booze seem to go hand-in-hand for me. Perhaps it's just old habits which have yet to disappear. Anyhow, stay strong and ignore any temptations. Just remember how you've been working hard towards you goal. Happy T-Day! Lusher
Thanks Lusher! Holidays are hard...especially with in-laws. My mother n law is a pain in the arse too! Half the time I think everyone gets drunk just to tolerate her! Maybe I can slip a anti-constipation pill in her drink so she spends the entire night in the bathroom? Ex-lax? Hahahahaha
Old 11-26-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
I went to a race day (Melbourne cup) and booze was every where all day. I had 4 guys from AA that I could call, anytime it got a bit much. Between them and prayer, the day went well
Sounds like a good plan. I think it's as much about the people (mom in law) there as it is the alcohol. Oh well...it's one day...I'll make it!

Thanks for letting me VENT!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Stay strong and dignified, Serenidad ((()))
Old 11-26-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The good thing about SR is that there are so MANY of us staying sober over the holidays! Not being judgmental about our loved ones who.... are drinking themselves to oblivion and beyond in a stupid a** way.....is my challenge this year. I so want to be a loving example, not a stern teetotaler who can't have fun without being stupid a**ed drunk.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Serenidad dont let it get to you like this the important thing is your here with us you can pm me anytime you got the forum

good idea for next year down the shelter

big hugs serenidad you can do this
Old 11-26-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Thanks Grow! Great idea about taking a walk. I'm taking my puppy so he will love that. You hang in there too! And by the way...I'm not worried about drinking tomorrow. I'm worried about being triggered and resentful after watching all those drunk arses tomorrow and saying "now it's MY turn to drink" on Friday night or something! I think I will make a plan now to go to a meeting Friday night....
Same here girl. I am more worried about being resentful as I have a history of this and it is so stupid and I am the only one getting hurt in this situation. I cant live like a freaking hermit forever and need to get over it. Plus, (tomorrow aside) most people have like 1 drink and that's it so it is soon over.

Good idea on the meeting plan! Your puppy will be happy each and every time you have to take that walk

I will be thinking of you xoxox
Old 11-26-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Serenidad, holidays are always stressful and full of expectations. I hope that you can get through Thanksgiving sober and happy. It sounds like you have some good ideas to help you through.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Serenidad after they all have had a few it actually might be entertaining, I have similiar family dynamics and have done this when we all do Thanksgiving together for a few days at the beach. It really is pretty funny watching them all deteriorate as the day/night wears on and one by one they "fall asleep" it is also educational because you are able to see what you might look like had you participated and it could act as a deterrent to future behavior
Good luck, stay strong and post often
Old 11-26-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
Serenidad after they all have had a few it actually might be entertaining, I have similiar family dynamics and have done this when we all do Thanksgiving together for a few days at the beach. It really is pretty funny watching them all deteriorate as the day/night wears on and one by one they "fall asleep" it is also educational because you are able to see what you might look like had you participated and it could act as a deterrent to future behavior Good luck, stay strong and post often
I just find it utterly annoying when I'm the only one not drinking (besides my nieces and nephews). It's pretty lonely. And I'm serious when I say EVERYONE drinks! I'm the only adult out of about 25 people that will not be drinking tomorrow. My husband will give me the "puppy dog eyes" and ask if it's ok if he drinks since it's the holiday and of course I say "yes". I would never say no.

I went through this for 5.5 years when I was sober and it just gets old!!! Everyone is literally laughing at a spot on the wall or something really dumb and I'm sitting there playing Candy Crush or whatever.

Anyway...enough complaining! Next year I am going to volunteer at a homeless shelter serving food for Thanksgiving! I'm going to start looking into it soon in case I need to plan ahead.

Thx for your support!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
getting there

Hey serenidad, we're pulling for you! Do you have the SR app on your phone? You could come here too if it gets too tempting. Stay strong!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by colagirl View Post
Hey serenidad, we're pulling for you! Do you have the SR app on your phone? You could come here too if it gets too tempting. Stay strong!
Thanks Colagirl! Yes I do have the AP on my phone. I'm on it now! :-) How are you doing?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
getting there

Doing fine. Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday but I am hanging in there for the mashed potatoes!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Serinidad, know what you mean, a room full of drunks aren't that funny.

Just remember, it all comes to pass. Xx