Notices

Holidays and Hunting

Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holidays and Hunting

Tomorow morning when I wake up I'll be 12 days sober. At the end of the day I'll be off work for 10 days to go on an annual hunting trip with a few friends. I work so I can afford to hunt and fish and I wouldn't miss this for anything. It has also always been a big drunk for us at the end of the day. I go with 3 others...one who is supportive of my decision not to drink...one who sounds like he supports me although time will tell and the other will be trying to get me drinking...no doubt about it. 12 days ago when I had my last drink I very much considered this upcoming trip and almost put off my sobriety till this was over but I new I couldnt. This is eating at me...any advice on how to handle something like this. I don't wanna drink...but I don't wanna miss out on this trip either. I thought of backing out at the last minute but that's not fair to myself or my friends....I gotta face the music! HELP!!

Coffee
Old 10-29-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hope for change

Don't go. You will drink and regret it. There will be more trips.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did fishing trips so, I know what your fearing. I know I'd wind up drinking. Maybe skip this years hunt. If not don't be afraid to get off by yourself if you need too. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I finally decided to quit, I decided that I would do anything to not drink. If that means missing out on something important, then so be it ... if I am not sober, then it means nothing anyway. It's ultimately your own choice how far you will go for sobriety. I would suggest that the annual hunting trip/drunk is probably not the right choice if sobriety is your #1 priority. But, hey, it's your journey ... go shoot something and stay sober ... remember ... guns and alcohol do not mix!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Coffeenotbooze, the 12 mark is still pretty recent. Enough so that it might be too easy to just tell yourself that it's only been 12 days, and you can just start 'for real' when you return home.

Tough call, but I know my mind would just be focused on alcohol, whether it's thinking about drinking it, or fighting the urge. Either way, the trip would be a loss for me.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Man...I know hunting is a huge thing in some places (I'm in Michigan which has an excess of deer and hunting season is a big deal here) but I wouldn't do it. Not with only 12 days sober, and knowing you will be with people drinking and no way to get away. If that were me, I would not be able to resist. Or if I did, I wouldn't have a very good time, too stressful.

Are you guys going to be isolated, like in a cabin, or will there be a way for you to separate yourself from your partying friends in the evenings?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Went hunting with my hardest and biggest drinking buddy last week on Thursday. I was worried we would get drunk after the hunt. We went to a bar for lunch which was always a precursor to drinking. I had a diet pepsi, he a beer. Then we decided if we were going to drive around shooting again and drink beer, or go home and do something productive. We both went to our homes. I don't know what he did, but I went home and did not drink. Was worried it was going to be really hard, and it was difficult, but then I though about the rest of the day after drinking. The driving drunk 65 miles home, the headache, the bitchy wife the annoying kids etc. I made the right decision and it was very easy after I thought about the time after the drinking. It can be done if this ex-beer drinking fool can do it. So can you.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If quitting drinking is a long term commitment then you may as well go and stay sober the whole time. Your friends need to get used to the new "sober" you. No doubt you will have an edge on the other hunters when 4am rolls around. And I bet you'll enjoy the experience on a deeper level than you would drinking.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I've done it now four times, never missed a fishing trip. And these were heavy drinking trips in the past with booze before breakfast right thru to nightcaps. The first trip was a little nerve wracking, but drinking was never an option.

It got easier as I got more experience and more comfortable in situations like that. I had no problem just withdrawing if I needed to, read a while, wet a line off the dock, watch stars, all sorts of new activities for me. I had a plan for not drinking, and drinking was never an option.

The last trip was this spring, and of course the guys know I don't drink now. Guess what happened? My buddy decided to go in to camp without alcohol, and when they other guys heard this, they ditched their booze too. It was a dry trip for everyone! We enjoyed the whole situation much more I think, from a quiet run down the lake before breakfast, to the fine cooking, to some earnest card playing for a change.

I won't suggest you do the same without more experience staying sober in the company of drinking friends. On the other hand, I won't tell you to stay home either. I quit drinking so that I could do more of what I love, not less. You need to make your own call.

Good luck to you, and congratulations to you on your decision about continuing to use alcohol. It might be the most important choice and the best decision of your life.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought of backing out at the last minute but that's not fair to myself or my friends....I gotta face the music! HELP!!
Why is it not fair to your friends if you don't go?

I put my friends needs before my own for years and I paid the price.

I couldn't do what you're contemplating at 12 days sober. I needed to put clear distance between who I used to be and who I wanted to become.

There'll be other hunting trips.
My advice is wait til you have some sobriety muscles to flex.

D
Old 10-29-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I understand not wanting to miss the trip, but this early in your sobriety you or going to either drink or your head is going to explode from trying so hard not to drink. It's not going to be fun
Old 10-29-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I want to be careful in how I say this; I think it might be possible to go. Very early into my sobriety I went on a camping trip. Every other time I have gone out I took wine with me so it was a strongly ingrained habit. Yet I took some club soda and it was just fine, no cravings and I had a good time. Even though my brother took some beer along (I hadn't revealed to him yet that I had quit).

You know you better than anyone else so ask yourself this- can I go on the trip and stay sober? If you're not 100% certain that the answer is yes, skip the trip. There will be others. If you slip up will you be able to stop again once you start?
Old 10-30-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I believe that it is possible to do this trip sober. I believe that you will have to be 1000% committed to your sobriety.

In a previous sober life, early on I found myself on a trip in France - wine tasting & visiting wineries with my partner's family. There were moments that I desired the wine! But this is desire, just desire, and in the same way that we can reject other desires which are "out of the question," we can move through a moment of desire with alcohol.

I drank lots of sparkling waters, connected with the people I was traveling with, took walks or went to bed early when required, and had a great adventure that I would have regretted giving up if I declined. Most significantly, I felt so proud when I got home.

In some ways, I did better early on, while I was on fire for sobriety. My rough place was after a year, when I'd distanced myself from why I was doing this.

Only you know of you can do it. If you do, take many alternative beverages, some good books & magazines, and get a celebratory tattoo when you get home to remind yourself that you are amazing sober!!

Ps. I have many good friends in Alaska who are not recovering alcoholics, but who ONLY hunt sober, because they want to be alert & attentive. Hunting in this wilderness is serious warrior business, & many hunters approach it that way - as spiritual practice almost...
Old 10-30-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I figured I'd get more Don't Go's then Go's but as I mentioned in my post.... I am going and I wouldn't miss it for nothing. Thanks for all the posts and especially those who believe it is possible to go and stay sober. Was looking for advice more on how to deal with people drinking then whether or not I should go. I'm committed to staying sober as much as I'm committed to sitting in a cold Canadian tree stand for 10 hours straight not making a peep. If I can't hunt I may as well drink...
Old 10-30-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

check your PMs coffee - good luck

I just got "permission" from the wife to go up to Michigan this year. It won't be like old times at the camp "up north" , but still will see the same old drinking buddies. My host indicated he rarely drinks these days - he could drink with the best of us. Maybe we are starting to grow up.

P.S. take along a lot of packets of hot chocolate and a s88t load of cookies.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It will be a good experiment to see if you can make it work, which you certainly can if you are truly committed. It won't be easy, but you can do it if you really want to. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Eric
Old 10-30-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by jsm273 View Post
I did fishing trips so, I know what your fearing. I know I'd wind up drinking. Maybe skip this years hunt. If not don't be afraid to get off by yourself if you need too. Good luck.
This
Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Do what YOU think you can do. Many many on here will say 'DON'T DO IT', but I want to a damn Kid Rock concert, 2 bbq's, and a bonfire on Day's 7 through 10.

"To thine own self be true" is what the AAers on here say a lot. But if YOU think you can't or probably can't do it... then don't.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

as said by others already - there is always next year. After a years time you may find that those couple friends who aren't full bore with your decision to stay sober are not even worth your time anymore and were merely just drinking friends.

What you should do is go on a trip with the one who fully supports your sobriety. That trip will come and go but what you do in those few days may effect the rest of your life and those you love and care for. There is no need to test the waters this early on in a very long journey.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

take a pass and go another year. it's not the end of the world to miss a hunting trip.... but it could be the end of your sober world.

Not worth it.