Notices

Holidays and Hunting

Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

If it were me, I'd take a pass. My experience was sitting in a tree all day followed by drinking in a cabin all night. I just wouldn't enjoy myself in that atmosphere. Alcohol was such a HUGE part of that trip and I know I'd either tear my skin off or drink my ass off.
To protect my sobriety I've made changes by bowing out of events where drinking is a main ingredient....
You know it will be hard and the memories of trips past will be prevalent. Good luck man and stay true to yourself.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I appreciate everyone's responces...thank you. I'm off work now and starting to load up...spent almost a month getting ready for this and I'm not missing.

I am committed to staying sober. Doesn't matter where I go or what I do...booze will always be around and I just can't drink it....I've been in my hole for to long and it's time to get out of it.

To me my sobriety is about LIVING my life and doing what I enjoy....and hunting most certainly is at the top of my list!

Coffee
Old 10-30-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've gone to the wilderness for two week trips with my old drinking buddies for the past three summers. I stayed sober. Someone has to put them out when they light themselves on fire! Seriously through, the first year was awkward. My fiends kept wanting to apologize to me for drinking... I told them I'd get even in the mornings. I was up before dawn, drinking coffee and catching walleye. I did have sympathy watching them try to get going in the morning. I so love not having a hangover. Have fun on your trip and have something to do if they get stupid. I got sober to enjoy my life, not to hide from it.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coffeenotbooze View Post
I appreciate everyone's responces...thank you. I'm off work now and starting to load up...spent almost a month getting ready for this and I'm not missing.

I am committed to staying sober. Doesn't matter where I go or what I do...booze will always be around and I just can't drink it....I've been in my hole for to long and it's time to get out of it.

To me my sobriety is about LIVING my life and doing what I enjoy....and hunting most certainly is at the top of my list!

Coffee
yep... these are true comments and it's the philosophy I live my recovery by as well. That said, in the early days I had to stay away from "high pressure" situations. But I am sending you strength to honor your sobriety despite the peer pressure and potential habit influence.

You will find that hunting is far more rewarding when you're not pausing to vomit every few hundred meters and are rising to cook breakfast with a clear head and a clear conscience. May sobriety be with you, and may the hunt be successful.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Have a good sober time then. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I know that I would definitely end up drinking if I went on that trip. But maybe that's just me.