Notices

It's finally time to go see the doctor..

Old 10-26-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's finally time to go see the doctor..

Hello everyone. I was a member here several years ago and I'm back. I don't remember my old username and don't have the same email address so I can't tell you who I was. Then again, I don't remember who I was as a person either.

My situation has become a little.. scary. I drink about the same as I did back then (12-24 beers a night, 7 days a week), but I can feel changes in my brain now. I get dizzy while driving and on heights at work. I used to be an articulate speaker but now I stumble on the simplest words. My motivation to do even the simplest of tasks is next to nothing. Worst of all, I hate myself now. I've never EVER had such a low self image.

I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow. I need to call my insurance provider for in-network doctors, and then set up an appointment to have a very real discussion that I'm absolutely dreading.

I've always figured that I can beat this on my own. "I don't need a doctor or groups; I can just stop." In 10 years, the longest that I've (voluntarily) gone without a drink is 41 days. It's been 3 years since then. It's time to get a professional involved.

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome back!

I think you are seeing that alcoholism is a progressive disease and you are feeling the effects. I'm glad that you are ready to do what you need to do to get sober.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!

I always thought I could stop too, until I actually tried to, and then discovered it was a whole other ball game!!

Great job on recognising the need for more help, SR is here too for plenty of support!!

You can do this!! Make this your turning point!!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're getting the help you need Machinist.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So glad that you've decided to do what it takes to stop drinking. You deserve good health, a clear mind, and peace. You can do it.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you've decided to live a sober life. Believe me, it's so rewarding. I wake up feeling good and don't have to plan my day around drinking and being sick.

You'll find lots of support here. Why not join the Class of October here on the newcomers forum? Post with others who quit drinking or using this month. There's also the 24 hour recovery connections. It's an ongoing thread in the Daily Support forum. You just post there once a day to commit to another 24 hours sober.

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the first step is the hardest but your about to do the bravest thing youll ever do.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Took me many attempts. Tried white knuckling with help of Antabuse. Always drank again.
At 140 days now, have a much different approach and mental state. I was ready.....

Glad you are here again. There's no shame.
Good news - we never have to drink again.

Fly
Old 10-26-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are making that decision....you deserve to find your self worth & it comes
Old 10-26-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good that you found your way back to us Machinist. We're here to support you as you begin a new and better life.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've never asked a single living soul for help with this. I'm a little hard headed and very independent minded. I will be very surprised if I can manage to spit out the problem within the first five minutes of talking to a doctor or nurse about it.

I'm a very honest person as well. If I do manage to admit that I'm alcohol dependent, I have to say how much and for how long. I know they are supposed to be more-or-less judgement free, but I still hate the idea of telling another person about how sick I am.

Not to mention, I did this to myself. It's not like I have a real disease that can't be controlled. I did this stupid stuff to myself and not I don't have control anymore.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whether or not alcoholism is a disease, it still is comparable to an allergy, as we react differently to alcohol than most people. We don't have an off switch. We will drink even knowing the bad consequences that can happen.

Whether or not it's a disease, it's definitely a sickness of the soul.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Pride kept me drunk for way too long. Bootstrap mentality - I too never would ask anyone for help. Now I find that was selfish of me and view my fellows and the world with a much different perspective. Don't wait another 15 years like I did.

Fly
Old 10-26-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is true least. My bloodline is pretty saturated with alcoholics, so I think I have a natural tendency to have the same problem. My family also has a lot of diabetics which scares me a lot. My dad was an adult onset case because of his drinking and he still drinks.

Ugh..
Old 10-26-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back Machinist -

The shame of alcoholism is one of the mechanisms that makes it so hard to break the cycle, but it's a game changer. I believe that is why AA has it for its first step.

Just like you want to do a good job at your work, your doctor wants to do a good job helping you to get better. He's at a huge disadvantage if you hold back this info. Withdrawing from alcohol can be life threatening - not something to mess around with.

I know you can do this.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Pride kept me drunk for way too long. Bootstrap mentality - I too never would ask anyone for help. Now I find that was selfish of me and view my fellows and the world with a much different perspective. Don't wait another 15 years like I did.

Fly
You're absolutely right. It's my damn pride that made it worse. "I don't have a problem" is my biggest enemy. I've hurt soooo many people with my addiction. This needs to be done with.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello: those symptoms are no joke! I'm glad that you are realizing that you have to stop. That's the first important step. Visit this site, read a lot and take it a moment at a time. It is your life and you can make it what you want it to be. Like the PP said, don't wait until it is too late. It only gets worse. Welcome back!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post
Welcome back Machinist -

The shame of alcoholism is one of the mechanisms that makes it so hard to break the cycle, but it's a game changer. I believe that is why AA has it for its first step.

Just like you want to do a good job at your work, your doctor wants to do a good job helping you to get better. He's at a huge disadvantage if you hold back this info. Withdrawing from alcohol can be life threatening - not something to mess around with.

I know you can do this.
I've "quit" cold turkey before and had minor withdrawal, but I know that the more cold turkey attempts, the more likely it is to have major (life threatening) symptoms. Given the length of time I've been a heavy drinker, the number of times I just abruptly stopped, and my current withdrawal symptoms after only one night, I'm fairly sure I need medical help to avoid the emergency room.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Beer was my beverage of choice too Machinist, more or less the same quantities as you.

10 days ago I was a helpless gibbering idiot, looking for a way out.

I quit cold turkey on my own after calling up 2 detox centers and finding I had to go on a waiting list to get a bed.

The nurse gave me 3 choices:
1. Quit at home on my own.
2. Go to emergency and detox in hospital.
3. Keep drinking and wait for a bed.

I detoxed at home. It was a nightmare I don't ever care to go through again.

But even after only 10 days sober now, the difference is night and day.

You've probably heard this a million times but it's true....If I can do it, so can you.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hooped, I hear ya, but I'm scared. I don't think I'm at the point where I need inpatient detox, but I'm a pretty scared of trying cold turkey again. I already have high blood pressure and my heart does funny stuff after a day or so of sobriety. Not to mention, the dizzy spells scare the **** out of me when in going 70 mph on the highway or when I'm 30 feet in the air at work.