Notices

Just joined today & 1st Sober/Freedom day is today!

Old 10-24-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Just joined today & 1st Sober/Freedom day is today!

Me & red wine like each other a little tooo much so it's time to part ways w' alcohol & get some freedom & power back in my life. Taking it day by day & babysteps but I will do it. Any support or advice/wisdom is appreciated. Especially what do you drink/do when watching movies? my favorite time to drink too much & generally make an ass of myself. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Fish

D
Old 10-24-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Fish. Welcome to SR.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I needed to accept the fact that I cannot drink alcohol in safety and accept that fact as demonstrated by my drinking history.
Many changes for the long run were necessary, even today, years later. Just stopping drinking and continuing the way we were usually ends in relapsing and that’s tough.
Basically it’s not drinking one day at a time and baby steps changing the person we were drinking. It’s work but the rewards are certainly worth it.

BE WELL
Old 10-24-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome Fish. Glad you found us. I'm a newly sober newbie.

I think to change our routines is vital , because if you keep doing your old stuff, you know you will want a drink while doing it.

I think I0AA2 canned it.

Is there something else you could do instead of watch a movie ?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're among us!
Welcome to the island of misfit toys......you're home!

I drink ginger ale
Old 10-24-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think red wine can take you leaving I left him 10 months ago. I didn't like his either lol

Keep it sober
Old 10-24-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to sobriety. Find a sponsor, make meetings, utilize this site, and take one day at a time. Most importantly enjoy it
Old 10-24-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice tyo meet you fish
Old 10-24-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Fish! I found that I had to find other activities to replace the ones that involved wine for a while.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All those pretty wrapped bottles, boxes
or cans are all POISON. I don't let them
fool me any longer. Today they are not
used to decorate my home or fill empty
places in the refrigerator or cabinet.

Each day sober is a WIN over POISON.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Fish!

I found it really helpful to change my normal routines in early recovery, so maybe not watching movies for awhile would help.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

I know what you mean. I used to spend all my evenings watching movies while drinking wine. 2 or 3 movies a night, with 2 or 3 bottles of wine.

Now (4 weeks sober) I watch maybe one movie a week. I usually just go to bed, read a book, browse and post on SR, when in the past I would have been watching a movie. I guess that reiterates what was commented above about changing your routine - but in my case it wasn't intentional, I just didn't want to watch 6 hours of movies anymore.

When I do watch a movie now, I either just have water, or sometimes I drink soda water with some juice or herbs added. I am focussing on healthy things so no high sugar or artificially sweetened things.

I have found that making a commitment to healthy living (on top of giving up alcohol) has made my resolve not to drink a little bit stronger.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Fish!!
Old 10-25-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support

Yeah I'm having to changing up the habits of old for more favorable ones. No alcohol of any sort & the healthier & wealthier commitments add that extra push. You ever notice how many people on movies or tv drink all the time? Some of the most popular shows out there, the characters are just pounding them away. I have been uber thirsty for water as of late, body re-hydrating itself & it's way of telling me FINALLY YOU GOT OUT OF THE STUPID ZONE, ha. So yea I will be posting on here quite a bit, helps me interact with others in similar situation, let alone gain from the experience & wisdom of others who have been there before. Cool thing is I get to also recreate/or show my true self which I & others haven't seen in forever if at all. All new attitude, character, body, loves, skills, talents, passions the whole shebang. Just gotta keep that MOMENTUM especially on those certain days. THANKS again everyone. Much appreciated.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm pretty new too. It's a really great place, you'll like it. I would drink a ton of wine too and couldn't imagine a movie without it. I would even sneak those squeezy boxes of wine into theaters. Now I just drink water and make fun snacks instead. Even with the food it's less calories than before and I actually "watch" the movie. Congrats on your first day!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Fish, welcome, glad you found us.

I noticed all the ads, films where people where drinking when I first stopped but after a while you don't really notice it.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello Fish, today is my first day to SR too. Glad to meet you! I am a vodka drinker. I have 23 days sober today.

I have found that changing my routine has helped a lot. Recognizing my triggers was the most important part. Once I knew my triggers, I was able to identify the behaviors and routines associated with them and then make changes or modifications.

Congratulations and best wishes!

Shakenup
Old 10-26-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

4th 24hr day (have a timer ap) & doing great except for THIRSTY for H2O

4th day 24hr easy (usually the urge strikes me right around 5 or 7 days straight before I want to start drinking so I know my habits/routines). Took it fairly easy today, workout/jog-walk, tweaking the diet big time to maximize health vs the crud I had been doing for the past couple of years. I found there are certain 'triggers/emotions' that set me off for the big bottle of Red Wine or some micro-brews. So now it's a matter of noticing the trigger/emotion but changing my ROUTINE (ie Stupid Juice/Fancy Marketed Poison) to something else (workout, business, walks, socializing w' others, cleaning up my place) to get the same REWARD that I was always hoping that the Stupid Juice would do, but never did.

I'll be posting on here daily to keep up the momentum & will be going through articles & posts to find out what works for others, as well as doing research everywhere I can find it. Thinking the 'Straight Edge' types (which I know little about) but I like the idea that it's a PRIDE thing for them.

Excited about the fat loss & muscle gain, socializing more, taking the business of mine to the Pro's Level, getting back into dating again (when u live in ATX it's a crime not to date some cuties around here), making my parents & family proud, traveling, learning skills of the best & helping with donations to animal shelters. ALL of which I was only able to do a 10th of in the past cause I was in such a 'NOT REALLY THERE' state. Getting GRATEFUL for the lessons that the past many years have taught me about alcohol so that I will learn the LESSON & Rock on these coming days/months/years ahead!

Small rant of the night but finding I have a hell of a lot more time w' out the STUPID JUICE. Thanks for the Support u krazy guys & gals
Old 10-27-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hey, Fish, It's great to have more free time, isn't it ?

Well done on day 4, amazing.