Notices

It's finally time to go see the doctor..

Old 10-26-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Machinist, welcome <back>. It's never too late to move forward.
I need to call my insurance provider for in-network doctors, and then set up an appointment to have a very real discussion that I'm absolutely dreading.
I read some of what you're experiencing as far as unusual changes. I, too, had some myself and subsequently saw my primary care doc and I am glad that I did.

It turned out that I had abused my liver pretty good, which was now starting to affect how I felt. I was very fatigued and unmotivated, which was not like me. I was also experiencing a fair amount of anxiety as well.

The test results were a total shock to me, however it worried me enough that I stopped that same day, which was no easy task, as my life was all about the drink.

Fortunately I re-tested after six months of not drinking and it looks as if I'm ok. As time went on, the anxieties seem to resolve themselves too.

I guess the point is that it's a good thing what you have planned out and I look forward to seeing you around.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks lusher. It's hard to imagine myself going to the doctor for the fist time since I was a kid, let alone telling him/her about a very personal problem. I've never really felt I've needed medical attention until recently.

I'm worried as hell that I've done serious damage to my body and mind. The fact is, I know that I have. I just hope that I have wolverine-like healing powers.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The second person I would see is a substance abuse professional.

There are an awful lot of people who tried to do it on their own that has less than successful results
Old 10-26-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes, that would be the next step. Unfortunately, seeking psychological help is probably too costly for me as my insurance is not the greatest. I plan on looking into it, but priority number one right now is get off the sauce without going to the hospital.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Pride kept me drunk for way too long. Bootstrap mentality - I too never would ask anyone for help. Now I find that was selfish of me and view my fellows and the world with a much different perspective. Don't wait another 15 years like I did.

Fly
I was like this too. It didn't work, and only left me feeling guilt and shame. You have made a good decision to get help, Machinist. We all have to try something different, because the status quo clearly isn't working. You can do it. We all can.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You would think that after a couple of dozen failed attempts with various tactics, you would learn what doesn't work. Me? Nope. I try the same crap over and over and the results are the same.

I need to do something different.. something outside of my comfort zone.. WAY outside of my comfort zone. I'm still trying to psych myself up for this doctor visit. I know I have the capability to do it, but I REALLY don't want to.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Life is so amazing without it! You can do it and you know that your backs against the wall due to health scare. The doc has prob heard this many times and who cares what he thinks anyway it's your life right?!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Machinist,

I joined here a few years ago like you but I was not ready to stop drinking. I finally hit the point where you are now about four months ago. My sobriety pretty much started with the doctor's visit. I was extremely nervous but did actually manage to come clean with her. How could she help me if I wasn't going to tell her what was going on?

Doctors are trained to be very objective. If they've been practicing for more than a few years, they have seen it all. Good for you for finally going. I think it's a really good first step.

I put off going to the doctor for about five years because I was worried that that would mean I would need to stop drinking. Once I finally was actually ready to stop going to the doctor didn't bother me as much. After I got the rundown of just what state my health was in, it was not good but not Terminal yet, I knew I just couldn't continue. There is something empowering about saying it out loud to a professional.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Machinist, I'm pleased you are taking steps to stop your drinking.

Going dizzy on ground level is bad enough but 30 ft in the air with perhaps alcohol still in your blood. Not good.

If you feel like you may not be able to speak frankly to the doctor it might help to write a few bullet points down before you go, then you can refer to them or alternatively pass them to your doctor.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I would get dizzy too and get vertigo going up and down stairs. I am happy to say that this stopped when I stopped drinking. It will stop for you too.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think that's a wise decision, Machinist. I also think pride has to be the leading cause of death for middle aged males! It's tough to admit you have a problem but it beats letting it kill you. 25 years of drinking had me feeling befuddled all the time. I'd forget stuff or even be walking and forget how to walk! Do whatever it takes to quit.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Machinist, welcome.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome back. Good for you for going to a doctor. It is scary but you need to be very honest, that is the only way they can help you.
I had symptoms similar to you. I was dizzy, I felt like my speech was affected. I was having mild visual hallucinations. I felt like there was a light switch attached to my brain and sometimes the switch would click off and on. Very quickly, like split seconds, but it was almost as if my brain click off and on periodically throughout the day. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I had MRIs, and EEG (to test for epilepsy) all kinds of tests. It turns out it was the alcohol. Since I have quit things are rapidly improving.
I would suggest reading the book "Under the Influence" I have ordered a copy and am waiting for it to arrive but I saw excerpts of it on a thread here. It really helped me to see that my problem with alcohol is a scientifically proven medical issue. Alcoholics process alcohol in different ways and our brains work differently than non-alcoholics.
Best of luck.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA worked for me when all else failed plus it is free
Old 10-27-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Machinist, I tried quitting as home at least 10-15 times with no success, usually ending in one sleepless night to find myself drinking the next night. It's hard to put our pride down and say we have a problem, I know I did. I wish you the best of luck on your journey!