Notices

Day one...again

Old 06-17-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day one...again

Please give me strength to stick with it this time. I really want and need this.
"one drink is too many, and a thousand not enough."

Like everyone says, Its no fun anymore. I am tired of being an epic failure. If anyone has any words of support I would really appreciate it.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm here with you. It is day 1 again for me also. We can do this together. I've been told there are many on these boards who have struggled time and time again, but it didn't mean they couldn't get sober. They did. We can too.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are not an epic failure. Pick yourself up and start again with a solid plan and lots of posting on SR!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you

Thank you, ST. I am dealing with a load of sh** right now and could use a friend in sobriety.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think I could express how bad I felt when I wanted to stop drinking, but couldn't. It's so demoralizing. You must have faith that you can do this. We are here to offer support.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am glad you were able to make it back. What helped me get off the endless carrousel of getting sober and then going back to drinking and using, over and over again was to CHANGE lot's of things.

For me, I had to STOP associating and hanging out with the old "Friends" and family members who were toxic to me and were indulging in drinking and using. If people asked me to go out with them, I would only go to a non drinking lunch in a public location in my own car so that I could leave when I needed to and would not be around alcohol but could still associate with people who I needed to or still wanted to.

I STOPPED going to bars or non sober night clubs etc.

I STARTED going to self help groups and worked on learning how to live life without drugs and Alcohol.

I POSTED on this board and kept a Journal of my thoughts including a page dedicated to WHY I decided to give up drinking and using. If I ever had or have the urge to drink or use I would make it a habit to pick up the phone, post to the board or send a email or text to one of my sober friends, I would also read the page I wrote in my journal about wanting to be sober. I would REMIND myself that I do not "Really" want to drink or use, because ultimately that few minutes of "fun" would be days of regret and feeling like crap later.

WRITE a message to your future self, tell yourself why you do not want to continue living life as a drug and drink user. Tell yourself what Drugs and Alcohol have been doing to your life, Remind your future self of all the pain and suffering that using causes. When you feel like you are going to want to use or drink again, open the letter to your future self, Read it. Remind yourself of your resolve to change your life for the better.

We no longer have to be held hostage by drink, by drugs, No longer do we have to be held hostage by the toxic "Friends" or Family members who don't really "Care" for us and whom may try and sabotage our desires to be sober. Sometimes being sober is very threatening for people who are drinkers.

Either way, life is too short to wait until it is too late to stop. We all have a place reserved for us on Skid Row, all it takes is time, every single one of the people at skid row did not start out that way. Now is the only time we truly have. If not now then when? Do we really need to keep tempting fate by going back to using and then stopping, going back to using and then stopping, over and over and over again?

There is another way, but if we REALLY WANT IT, we need to WORK at It, Sobriety takes work, just like exercising or building a business, or Graduating college, it takes effort and requires us to focus and do what we need to do to accomplish our goals.

Now is the time!
We can totally do this!
Old 06-17-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

The really great thing is you guys came back

The best advice I can give is..if whatever you tried last time didn't work...try to think what else you need to do this time...what can you add to make your recovery rock solid this time?

D
Old 06-17-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was embarrassed and ashamed of having so many "day ones". But with the support of the members here (and my addiction counselor) I didn't give up, I kept trying until I made it. I have four and a half years sober and used to have trouble getting a week sober.

DON'T GIVE UP!!!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day one!. I'm only on day 8 but I know it feels a lot better than the first day. With each hour you go you really should pat yourself on the back because you are trying and that's what's most important!. Try celebrating by renting a movie or getting a milkshake. This is a fresh start and you get to treat it that way.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi goodkitty. You sound ready to do this - no reason why it can't stick this time.

I drank for decades & was drinking every day when I found SR. Having the support of understanding people meant everything. I was able to let go of it and have been off it for over 6 yrs. I know you can do it.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodkitty View Post
Please give me strength to stick with it this time. I really want and need this.

Like everyone says, Its no fun anymore. I am tired of being an epic failure. If anyone has any words of support I would really appreciate it.

You can do this, you're back here which is good. I agree, drinking just isn't fun anymore... it's remarkable how dark of an activity it can become towards the end
Old 06-17-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with a load of **** right now. Not fun.

For the first weeks I took every single opportunity to laugh that I could find. Tried not to take myself too seriously. Cleaned a lot of toilets and took a lot of walks.

Examining my relationship with alcohol was key to figuring out how to start breaking the patterns. Try to ride with any uncomfortable emotions as they come and just try real hard to let them go. Do not let a destructive thought take hold in your brain that has the potential to move you in the wrong direction. Just visualize rolling with the punches.

Hang out here. Post for support when you need it. During times of higher risk I kept my laptop accessible for catching up on SR posts. The Friday night recovery group meeting here on SR has been really great for the end of the week. And then there is the weekender thread for ongoing accountability during the weekend.

Cover your fridge with inspirational words, posts, pictures, things that make you laugh. Fill your fridge with fizzy water or anything that would take place of having a drink in your hands. Definitely avoid any social drinking situations at all costs.

These are just a few things I did to stop the barrage of stuff in my head.

A great therapist is gold. Visualize sobriety in your life and the changes that have to happen. Commit to sobriety as if your life depends upon it - as the life you want and deserve definitely does.

You can do this.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Some people take the view that willpower and determination simply aren't enough in the face of alcoholism. AA certainly does. The idea of 'throwing in the towel' has many adherents and seems to work for many people. You might consider AA as an option. It is working for this complete non-joiner antisocial skeptic!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep going at it and you'll get there!!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Old 06-18-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodkitty View Post

Day 1 for me too! You arent alone in feeling tired of being an epic failure. You arent a failure, you got back.

We can do this.

L x
Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

thank you

Originally Posted by LeighD View Post
Day 1 for me too! You arent alone in feeling tired of being an epic failure. You arent a failure, you got back.

We can do this.

L x

Hi there, thanks for your message. I read your post earlier and I am sad for how rotten you are feeling...put it behind you though now. We BOTH have things to set aside and put behind us. I am grateful for a good night's sleep, and the knowledge that my system is less toxic this am.

Sent you a friend request...hope thats ok. The fact that I mention it makes me a big nerd LOL...
Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Feeling more positive as the day has gone on. Taken some good advice from this. Trying not to beat myself up (I'm the best at doing that!!) I'll learn from it. I feel more determined than ever!

We can keep each other going!

I've accepted your friend request Thank you

Be strong and I'll be here if you ever need a chat.

L x
Old 06-18-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You can do it!!!!