Notices

Day 90 thoughts

Old 03-29-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 90 thoughts

Ok - I mostly hide out in my class support thread, but I promised myself I would post something on day 90 despite my forum shyness, so here goes.

My journal entry on December 30 said simply: "day ******* one. enough" I didn't even have the energy to hit the shift key, I guess. I had caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror after throwing up and thought so clearly, "this is killing you. You are dying." I hated the person staring back at me. I barely recognized myself - all I saw was a sad, sick trapped woman.

Day two and day three entries were a bit longer, both of which ended with me wondering, "what will be different this time?" I didn't have an answer. I didn't have hope or faith that anything would be different. But I had the desperation to stay sober one more day.

Over the last 90 days, I've been slowly answering that question, day by day. Building a different life, brick by brick. Brick one: posting on SR every day in my January class whether I had something to say or not. Brick two: the 24 hour club. Brick three: steeping myself in recovery related reading and reflection. Brick four: journaling, even if it was just a gratitude list, every day. Brick five: telling my husband I was done drinking. Closing the door with family members. Brick six: starting to tell others I don't drink when the occasion arises. Brick seven and eight came more recently: going back to meetings and working the steps. Brick nine: finding and naming a higher power. Brick ten: started consciously letting go of the past.

And so on. I have taken the approach that I am ALL IN and I am willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober this time. I have accepted that I can no longer drink, under any circumstance, EVER. You guys, I'm done. And while I have days, and will have days ahead where that is incredibly difficult, where I question my ability to keep that commitment to myself, I now have this fledgling structure of sobriety that I can shelter in, that protects me and I want to protect, that I can continue to build on.

One of the books I read early on was Ann Dowsett Johnson's "Drink: The intimate Relationship of Women and Alcohol" and I took this quote from it that I've kept close - a summary of a parable about a woman who loses her arms and regains them after some time: “She will have full consciousness of what she is doing and is therefore rewarded for her suffering, which is what Jung means when he writes that ‘a part of life is lost, but the meaning is saved.’”

A part of life is lost, but the meaning is saved. That sustains me. I will never get back the years, relationships, opportunities, money etc I lost to drinking, but I retain the meaning, and what I do with it is up to me now. I feel hopeful and alive and when I catch a glance of myself in the mirror now, just 90 days later, I'm not appalled by what looks back at me. I'm starting to see someone I haven't seen in a very long while, someone I didn't even know still existed, and I can't wait to see what she is going to do next.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for being my first brick, the foundation of my sobriety. I don't think I would have gotten where I am if I hadn't landed here first.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Thats such a nice post , bought a tear of joy to my eye ,

Thank you

Bestwishes, m
Old 03-29-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

90 days is great, Adee, congratulations! You are an inspiration to a newbe like myself. One question: what is the "24 hour club" you mention as brick two?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adee View Post
A part of life is lost, but the meaning is saved. That sustains me. I will never get back the years, relationships, opportunities, money etc I lost to drinking, but I retain the meaning,.
This resonates with me. I'm only at 49 days today, and I feel like I have made progress during this time. It makes me wonder what could have been if I have given up drinking long ago. I wasn't ready for it then anyway, though. I guess we have to learn our lessons to get us to where we are today.

Congrats!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taproot View Post
90 days is great, Adee, congratulations! You are an inspiration to a newbe like myself. One question: what is the "24 hour club" you mention as brick two?
It's the link below. You sign in to commit to 24 hours sober, and deeker posts a roster and a message everyday at 7pm. It is such a simple, quick thing to do but has been really helpful for me to make a conscious commitment each day. Plus, the messages are really good. I look forward to reading them each day.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...elcome-14.html
Old 03-29-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

this is a fantastic post.... I just hit my 90 recently too.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats Adee,

Powerful and inspirational !!!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Beautiful adee! I'm so proud of you - loved this post. I'm glad you stepped outside your class support thread for a bit - so more people can share your insight.

I appreciate and relate to the phrase, "A part of life is lost, but the meaning is saved." Regret and remorse kept me drinking every time I tried to rise above my misery. We can acknowledge what was lost without dwelling on it or letting it ruin our chances for a new beginning.

Topspin is right - a 'powerful and inspirational' post. You've come so far in 90 days, and it will continue to get better. Thank you.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Adee for this

Congratulations on your 90 days!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Grats on the 9o days
Old 03-29-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days Adee, and the personal growth you have achieved. Thank you for sharing your milestone summary.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Very powerful post, indeed. You are an inspiration.
And I love your bricks.