Notices

Six Months Sober Today

Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six Months Sober Today

I had been a drinker since I was 15 years old and I am now 43. Six months ago I decided to do the most loving thing I could ever do for myself and for my family. I quit drinking and I do not regret the decision at all. I feel like I have been let in on the best secret in the world. Life is so much better without the booze. I am healthier, clear-minded, thinner. I have so much less anxiety, better relations with everyone in my life and so much more energy probably due to the excellent sleep that I get every night.

Newbies, just stick with it. There was a time in my first few months that I was worried that recovery had become every bit the addiction to me that alcohol once was and I hated how obsessed I had become with my sobriety process. But the longer I have been sober, the easier it has become. It has become my way of life and I don't find sobriety nearly as consuming as I did in the beginning of my decision to quit. Usually, I just check in with my montly class here on a daily basis and whenever my AV creeps up (which isn't very often anymore), I read some of the newcomers threads to remind myself why alcohol doesn't have a place in my life anymore.

I want sobriety for you because the gift of freedom it has given to me is deserved by everyone. I wish you all of the best that life has to offer!!!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Huge congrats xxxxxxxxxxx
Old 03-29-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome! Thanks for this encouraging post! In five months and three weeks, I want to be YOU
Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations DD. I remember reading some of your first posts here and am so glad you've made such a positive change in your life.

I wish you and your family more of the same!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Newbies, just stick with it. There was a time in my first few months that I was worried that recovery had become every bit the addiction to me that alcohol once was and I hated how obsessed I had become with my sobriety process. But the longer I have been sober, the easier it has become. It has become my way of life and I don't find sobriety nearly as consuming as I did in the beginning of my decision to quit.
Congrats DD on 6 months! That's amazing! Thanks for an excellent post and for addressing some of my concerns at this point of my sobriety (2+ months)!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

DoubleDragons, you are just so FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats DD. I'm at 6 months too and agree with all you say just wish I had done it sooner like you, but everything in its own time. Had my first real intense drinking dream last night and woke up so happy it was a dream. Not sure why that happened now, maybe means I need to keep my guard up. Stay strong friend!
Old 03-29-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

right on!! well done and thanks for sharing.... Great inspiration.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats DD!!
Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations DoubleDragons! Keep up the great work.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Congrats DD on your very significant achievement. I have to remind myself that I am never cured and that this is a journey with no destination. Sobriety is wonderful in so many ways, and I know you must have fought really hard for your 6 months. My suggestion would be to work even harder on your recovery and be very mindful of any thoughts or emotions that are negative, ungrateful, or full of self-pity. I know you can do it though, so stick with it, it does work.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations, that is a huge accomplishment!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Many, many congratulations, DD! Love, love, love your post!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats DD

You are an inspiration to us newbies.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Grats to you
Old 03-29-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six months sober!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I had been a drinker since I was 15 years old and I am now 43. Six months ago I decided to do the most loving thing I could ever do for myself and for my family. I quit drinking and I do not regret the decision at all. I feel like I have been let in on the best secret in the world. Life is so much better without the booze. I am healthier, clear-minded, thinner. I have so much less anxiety, better relations with everyone in my life and so much more energy probably due to the excellent sleep that I get every night.

Newbies, just stick with it. There was a time in my first few months that I was worried that recovery had become every bit the addiction to me that alcohol once was and I hated how obsessed I had become with my sobriety process. But the longer I have been sober, the easier it has become. It has become my way of life and I don't find sobriety nearly as consuming as I did in the beginning of my decision to quit. Usually, I just check in with my montly class here on a daily basis and whenever my AV creeps up (which isn't very often anymore), I read some of the newcomers threads to remind myself why alcohol doesn't have a place in my life anymore.

I want sobriety for you because the gift of freedom it has given to me is deserved by everyone. I wish you all of the best that life has to offer!!!
Hi doubledragons, it's great to hear you are doing so well it really is, 6 months is huge news and a great boost to us all following and hoping to emulate your progress. I'm at 4 months and starting to get the benefits. Thanks again for your post. Stuart.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats!! I wish you continued success!!
Old 03-29-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I think your tag line says it all. We can not realize how sick we were until we are not.

Congratulations on six months
Old 03-29-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats DD on kicking that lions ass! 6 months is a huge milestone!