SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Six Months Sober Today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/327374-six-months-sober-today.html)

DoubleDragons 03-29-2014 05:04 AM

Six Months Sober Today

I had been a drinker since I was 15 years old and I am now 43. Six months ago I decided to do the most loving thing I could ever do for myself and for my family. I quit drinking and I do not regret the decision at all. I feel like I have been let in on the best secret in the world. Life is so much better without the booze. I am healthier, clear-minded, thinner. I have so much less anxiety, better relations with everyone in my life and so much more energy probably due to the excellent sleep that I get every night.

Newbies, just stick with it. There was a time in my first few months that I was worried that recovery had become every bit the addiction to me that alcohol once was and I hated how obsessed I had become with my sobriety process. But the longer I have been sober, the easier it has become. It has become my way of life and I don't find sobriety nearly as consuming as I did in the beginning of my decision to quit. Usually, I just check in with my montly class here on a daily basis and whenever my AV creeps up (which isn't very often anymore), I read some of the newcomers threads to remind myself why alcohol doesn't have a place in my life anymore.

I want sobriety for you because the gift of freedom it has given to me is deserved by everyone. I wish you all of the best that life has to offer!!!

KateL 03-29-2014 05:33 AM

Huge congrats :You_Rock_ xxxxxxxxxxx

Taproot 03-29-2014 05:33 AM

Awesome! Thanks for this encouraging post! In five months and three weeks, I want to be YOU

Croissant 03-29-2014 05:50 AM

Congratulations DD. I remember reading some of your first posts here and am so glad you've made such a positive change in your life.

I wish you and your family more of the same!

Betterlife1 03-29-2014 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons (Post 4557093)
Newbies, just stick with it. There was a time in my first few months that I was worried that recovery had become every bit the addiction to me that alcohol once was and I hated how obsessed I had become with my sobriety process. But the longer I have been sober, the easier it has become. It has become my way of life and I don't find sobriety nearly as consuming as I did in the beginning of my decision to quit.

Congrats DD on 6 months! That's amazing! Thanks for an excellent post and for addressing some of my concerns at this point of my sobriety (2+ months)!

neferkamichael 03-29-2014 05:54 AM

DoubleDragons, you are just so FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya. :egypt:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8202971_f520.jpg

Tiptree 03-29-2014 06:13 AM

Congrats DD. I'm at 6 months too and agree with all you say just wish I had done it sooner like you, but everything in its own time. Had my first real intense drinking dream last night and woke up so happy it was a dream. Not sure why that happened now, maybe means I need to keep my guard up. Stay strong friend!

FreeOwl 03-29-2014 06:19 AM

right on!! well done and thanks for sharing.... Great inspiration.

:)

jaynie04 03-29-2014 06:23 AM

Congrats DD!! :)

Opivotal 03-29-2014 06:58 AM

Congratulations DoubleDragons! Keep up the great work. :c011:

YoungAndClean 03-29-2014 07:13 AM

Congrats DD on your very significant achievement. I have to remind myself that I am never cured and that this is a journey with no destination. Sobriety is wonderful in so many ways, and I know you must have fought really hard for your 6 months. My suggestion would be to work even harder on your recovery and be very mindful of any thoughts or emotions that are negative, ungrateful, or full of self-pity. I know you can do it though, so stick with it, it does work.

Delilah1 03-29-2014 08:03 AM

Congratulations, that is a huge accomplishment!

Cathryn2001 03-29-2014 08:04 AM

Many, many congratulations, DD! Love, love, love your post!

Discovery14 03-29-2014 08:16 AM

Congrats DD:c011:

You are an inspiration to us newbies.

CAPTAINZING2000 03-29-2014 08:29 AM

Grats to you

least 03-29-2014 08:51 AM

Congrats on six months sober! :c011:

Stoogy 03-29-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons (Post 4557093)
I had been a drinker since I was 15 years old and I am now 43. Six months ago I decided to do the most loving thing I could ever do for myself and for my family. I quit drinking and I do not regret the decision at all. I feel like I have been let in on the best secret in the world. Life is so much better without the booze. I am healthier, clear-minded, thinner. I have so much less anxiety, better relations with everyone in my life and so much more energy probably due to the excellent sleep that I get every night.

Newbies, just stick with it. There was a time in my first few months that I was worried that recovery had become every bit the addiction to me that alcohol once was and I hated how obsessed I had become with my sobriety process. But the longer I have been sober, the easier it has become. It has become my way of life and I don't find sobriety nearly as consuming as I did in the beginning of my decision to quit. Usually, I just check in with my montly class here on a daily basis and whenever my AV creeps up (which isn't very often anymore), I read some of the newcomers threads to remind myself why alcohol doesn't have a place in my life anymore.

I want sobriety for you because the gift of freedom it has given to me is deserved by everyone. I wish you all of the best that life has to offer!!!

Hi doubledragons, it's great to hear you are doing so well it really is, 6 months is huge news and a great boost to us all following and hoping to emulate your progress. I'm at 4 months and starting to get the benefits. Thanks again for your post. Stuart.

Iluvdisney 03-29-2014 11:23 AM

Congrats!! I wish you continued success!!

MIRecovery 03-29-2014 11:54 AM

I think your tag line says it all. We can not realize how sick we were until we are not.

Congratulations on six months

ImperfectlyMe 03-29-2014 11:55 AM

Congrats DD on kicking that lions ass! 6 months is a huge milestone!