Notices

Day 0 Looking for a sponser

Old 03-19-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 0 Looking for a sponser

Hey everyone... just wanted to use the internet to it's full potential.... I live in the city and I don't want to look for a sponsor there... today is day 0 and I would like one of you who is a professional (I'm studying to be a doctorate in the medical field, but please don't let that deter you... ) to become my sponser and talk with me on the phone and text etc... I need help I really do and I'm hoping one of you can help me... I'm at no risk for DT's and (I understand the medical research published, so I don't need medical advice I need social support) Thanks... Please please do a good deed in your heart and PM ME

-Serper-
Old 03-19-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why do you not want a face to face sponsor?
Old 03-19-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
Why do you not want a face to face sponsor?

Because I want to be anonymous.... also I've been lurking on these forums and I feel that it's much easier for someone to help you out face to face...but if someone takes the time to care from across the globe...it would mean more to me and make more accountable... I'm not that bad of an alcoholic anymore... but I still want help
Old 03-19-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I would like one of you who is a professional
Well the good news is that we all are professionals here (professional drunks that is).
I would strongly suggest that you read this thread. It will benefit you
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tay-sober.html
Old 03-19-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hmmmmmm? If you wish to remain anonymous, there is this group called alcoholics anonymous. I'm pretty sure you can remain anonymous in such a group if I'm not mistaken. Are we allowed to mention this group on the forum?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Obviously you can do what every you want, but it's highly recommended to get a face to face sponsor if you're going to work the twelve steps. That's really the main crux of having a sponsor is to work the steps. It's hard to do so when you're not meeting up on a regular basis to go over the literature.

Some people use their sponsor as their buddy, therapist, life counselor, etc. Whatever works. But the steps are where it's at if you want to get sober and REMAIN sober.

I can understand your concerns about wanting to remain anonymous, but we in AA take that aspect very seriously. I am a professional and there are lots of other professionals in the meetings I attend. Doctors and lawyers and business executives. But we're all on the same level, alcoholics just trying to get another day sober.

You said you live in a city. Have you looked into meetings that are for your profession? I live in a major city and attend a weekly lawyers meeting. I know there are doctors and medical professional meetings as well. Great place to find a sponsor. But just because your sponsor isn't in the same profession doesn't mean they can't guide you through the steps. My sponsor is a yoga instructor. Go figure! But he understands me and helps me just as well as anyone else because he drank like I did.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
hmmmmmm? If you wish to remain anonymous, there is this group called alcoholics anonymous. I'm pretty sure you can remain anonymous in such a group if I'm not mistaken. Are we allowed to mention this group on the forum?
Mentioning AA is fine Lbrain

Wishing you the best Serper.

D
Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

serber, think it over...

today I met with my sponsor. he is as different from me than one can imagine. He's heavily into the bible and Christianity. He quotes the damned thing. I on the other hand am the complete opposite. We did my third step this morning together. Now that in itself is tolerance and understanding if you're at all familiar with it. My job is quite "important" and very much scrutinized by the GP. You could say that I am always being watched. To be honest, there are many different folks at the meetings I attend. Some prominent people and some hoping they have a place to live next month. The thing is, when I leave a meeting I don't have a clue who they were. Even if I tried to make it a point I still wouldn't know. Unless you're some famous rock star or TV personality or politician (I doubt politician cause they're all in denial) you shouldn't have to worry about it. And even if you are, if you find the right group of people you'll just be one of them. Nothing more, nothing less. True.