Notices

Do you sabotage yourself?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
p***enger

Do you sabotage yourself?

I don't think there's a textbook form of self-sabotage I've never tried, and having put down drugs & drink, my self-defeating bent is having to get creative. I'm wondering if other people on SR have this problem, & esp. how it manifests itself for them in sobriety. Also, why do you think we do these things? I honestly can't figure myself out -- some of the stuff I do is just boring, & some of it gives me a thrill, but the thrill in no way is worth the risk. And of course, any thoughts on what works to rein in self-sabotaging behaviors.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I self sabotaged a lot all my life, right up to the point I took my last drink - and for a little while after, if you read my recent thread about newly sober me going to a drinking buddies house.

I think it's rooted in fear.
I was sacred of failure, but also scared of success.

I did a lot of work on myself after I stopped drinking, and some counselling and I realised it was ok to be me.

Sounds trite and maybe a little obvious but that really was a revelation to me
Old 03-16-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it's rooted in fear.
I agree. My sister told me there are only two emotions in this world. Love and fear. Its a little deep for me but sometimes it makes sense. Guess I have to ask her more about how she feels about it.

good question courage2. If we keep asking eventually we will get answers.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BTW, yes. I have sabotaged myself in the past.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

All the time. In early sobriety I caught myself washing down a couple of OTC sleeping pills with coffee.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
All the time. In early sobriety I caught myself washing down a couple of OTC sleeping pills with coffee.
OK. Silentrun wins the self-sabotage award.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

My sense of personal identity is so rooted in negative behaviors that it's almost physically difficult for me to try to imagine what would constitute genuine success for me, it's that frightening.

LOL Silentrun I love your example but at least it's pretty harmless. If I could just stick to good ol' procrastination I'd be a proud woman in recovery!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

you weren't scared of becoming sober, Courage?

D
Old 03-16-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

I don't remember -- I was desperate -- I got scared later, when I found out I didn't have to drink.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah, I just meant I see that as a kind of fear of success.

D
Old 03-16-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

LOL I guess I was scared or I wouldn't have given myself this username. It's just things seem to keep getting scarier. Does that mean I'm getting more successful?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL dunno....
it may mean you're taking more chances?

D
Old 03-16-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
My sense of personal identity is so rooted in negative behaviors that it's almost physically difficult for me to try to imagine what would constitute genuine success for me, it's that frightening.
Oh yes, I was a queen of sabotage and it took me a long time to figure it out. Whenever it looked like things were going well in my life, I would purposely ruin it. I was absolutely scared to death of what success would feel like. It terrified me and I would always slide back to the negative place where I felt so much more comfortable.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm taking more chances -- sometimes in good ways, sometimes unnecessary risks. I'm stronger and not depressed and have a lot more mental energy nowadays. I need to keep finding more things to put the energy into that are worthwhile, or I'll use it self-destructively. It has to get released. And nothing phony's going to satisfy me -- it has to be something real & intense.

It's like a cartoon guy with the stick of dynamite -- you keep wondering if he's going to blow himself up.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Only if you're Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck or Sylvester, Courage

D
Old 03-16-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've sabotaged myself in a lot of ways. Very similar to Dee, fear of failure and fear of success. What if I don't like this sober me? What if I can't stay sober? I figured I wouldn't know until I tried.

I think Mits sister hit the nail on the head about love and fear. I sabotage by getting really angry. It hasn't caused me to drink but it is still harmful. When I look very closely at why I am angry I have found that it is rooted, all of it, in fear. Now I have to work on the fear bit.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
p***enger

Yes, I'm very silly. Pre-adolescent. Daffy was always my favorite.

Just saying that unhealthy, self-destructive outlets for my energy spring more readily to mind that other things, and I'm looking for tips on general self-control, not just staying away from drink.

Thanks Ruby -- we cross-posted, now I'm editing to ask, how do you "work on it"? What does that mean to you?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t really have any tips - it was more of an organic process for me - the more I valued myself the less old ideas applied.

The concept of negative self talk and how to challenge them was useful tho...really rudimentary ideas but they'd never occurred to me before

Challenging Negative Self-Talk | Psych Central

D
Old 03-16-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Only if you're Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck or Sylvester, Courage

D
No Wiley Coyote?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

Indulging our addictions is a template for and a result of successful self-sabotaging. How often and how many excuses do we create in order to avoid setting our lives straight? SS can have many causes, most seemingly rooted in fear. It's war against ourselves...our thoughts, feelings and desires. It's a failed strategy that guarantees that we won't get what we want or need, and carries the distorted promise that, when we suffer, it will only be at our own hands. Better I hurt myself than someone else hurting me.

I think the unspoken thought for me was often something like, "As long as I don't succeed or get what I want, I'll have nothing to lose. And if I have nothing to lose, I'll never get hurt."

Popular wisdom tells us that if we've never been hurt, never been heartbroken, and if we haven't failed many times in our lives, then we're doing something wrong.