Notices

I'm a statistic

Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I'm a statistic

I kept encouraging my Feb. team and thinking I'd be ok because I went Jan. and 1/2 of Feb with no drinks.

I had a plan tonight. Husband going out for drinks but my friend for baking treats. Winter gave us snow and ice and I'm alone. I message my husband I want to drink and he said that is ok. Just stop sipping in the morning.

I've been baking treats tonight which has kept me from being a total loss but I am just another lost stat. I drank.

Now what.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SeaScape

hi there
next time maybe don't ask your husband if you know you really don't want to drink. Ask SR folks instead.
start again tomorrow?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Start again tomorrow. No lost causes here, only if you don't try ever again will it be a loss. Maybe consider talking to your husband about the support that you need from him.

Don't let the weather be your undoing. Start making plans A, B and C, just in case from now on. You will be back on track in no time, no worries!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You are not another stat. You are a human being and you made a mistake. It happens to ALL of us.

Keep posting, keeping trying, think of what you can do differently next time you want a drink.

You can do this, you just need to find your mojo.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Yes I have to start again. How many times must I have to start again. I find it strange that I had a goal in Jan to make it mid-march for drinks and because I could have drinks it went easy. But when I really screwed up and decided and I can't have drinks - period - I have an even harder time being sober. I'm embarrassed.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Don't be embarrassed--we have all been there. But you are taking positive steps towards recovery, like posting here.

SoberRecovery has a lot to offer--chat rooms and a great variety of threads. I find it very inspiring to read posts in the "Friends and Family of Alcoholics" section, and see how much turmoil alcohol can bring into our lives.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I myself have had to start over and over again. Lots of people go thru this please don't ever be embarrassed to post here.

All you need to do is take it one day at a time. That is all I do. All I need to do is get thru today without a drink. That's it. I don't worry about tomorrow, a week from now or even a year from now.

I just worry about today. Keep it simple. You can do this.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Please don't be embarrassed. You realized the err immediately and posted. That is initiative! Try not to count the times that you start over, it is not a negative. The more times you try, the more sobriety you get and the better you get at it. Don't give up!

It was a tough thing to come to the realization that I can't drink, ever. I felt that somehow I deserved it and I was scared to lose it. But then I took a look around at my situation, everything was crumbling and I had completely lost myself as a human being. I am willing to leave behind the alcohol for a chance at improving the rest of my life.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

It's not how many times you fall down, it's how many times you get back up!

Start again tomorrow with a new plan.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're far more than a statistic - all of us are

I reckon there's not one person here who doesn't know how you feel.

This one night does not negate all the work and all the successes you've had.

Use this night as a lesson. You've gained a little more more knowledge about how insidious addiction is - you can come up with a plan or two to stop it dead next time

rather than being weaker you can emerge from this stronger

You can do this TR.

D
Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You didn't fail, you just had another lesson you needed to learn. Each lesson gives us more tools to find happiness.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well you have to put the bottle down. I like to talk to people when they are sober, I can never really talk to anyone while they are drunk. Just give them my cell # and tell them to come back when they stopped drinking. I can help people when they are sober, but when they are drunk you cant tell them nothing.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Ladyinbc just said what was bout to say. If I made monthly or quarterly goals of stayin sober, I would end up drinking again @ some point. In the morning thank Him that you woke up sober & ask also for help to stay sober that day. Avoid & change to new people, places & play things in you're environment. Before going to sleep thank Him for another day of sobriety
Old 03-01-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Forgive yourself, learn from it, and move forward again.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
I am just another lost stat. I drank.
There's an error in your math. The population sample size is too small. You have to try many more times before your results reach the level of statistical significance.

I've got enough 'day 1 chips' to win the World Series of Poker.

You drank. Your sobriety plan needs improvement. Get to work.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

ONE day at a time, you are not a lost cause by no means at all! I have forgotten how many times I have had to start over, im on day 4 and THIS time its one day at a time for me!

Keep going just get back into it
Old 03-02-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
How many times must I have to start again.
Until you decide you want sobriety more than being drunk. Then you can begin the recovery process. Being in limbo between drinking and wanting to be sober is perhaps the hardest state of this disease. You have too much knowledge now but can't wean off either.

You have to change the variables if you want change. You need more support than your husband telling you to just not sip in the morning. I don't blame him bc he does not understand, nor ever will actually.

Have you thought about AA, SMART, Rational Recovery, Lifeline, Women for Sobriety in addition to SR? Keep posting and asking questions and good luck!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Now you go again and don't beat yourself up about the past, TODAY is a new day to be sober!!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I drank yesterday too and I'm in IOP so feel really bad about it! My husband wanted to drink so almost encouraged it. He's really the last person I should rely on to tell me not to drink. I know this and knew I should call someone from AA but could not pick up that thousand pound phone.

Naturally I blacked out and made an ass of myself and did all the things I always do. sigh
Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

You came here and posted and that's important. You CAN do this.

You messaged your husband because you already had a feeling what his response would be and that made it ok for you.

There's only one person you have to look to when you're making the choice to drink or not to drink and that's yourself. However, I know a great place that you can go and ask that same question the next time it happens. Right here.