View Poll Results: What instrument do you recommend?
Piano
39.13%
Guitar
60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

OT - Musical Poll

Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - Musical Poll

Way off topic here but I applied to a few grad schools a few weeks ago, but in the meantime I want to do something to challenge myself mentally and I think that learning to play an instrument would be a good fit because I can do it in my own home, doesn't require a babysitter, I can do it in my own time, plus I can teach myself. AND it's on my bucket list too, might as well cross one of those things off before I hit 30.

However, I'm not sure if I want to take up playing the piano or the guitar. Any opinions or insight from any musically inclined peeps?

TIA!!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Benn trying for 30 years but I can't seem to get the hang of piano.

Guitar I think is easier to learn - you'll be playing simple songs in no time...and the initial outlay is not as great

D
Old 02-24-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I took piano lessons when I was younger. Still play a bit. Piano will teach the basic scales and timing. I went on to learn the clarinet, flute, sax and a few others. I attepted to learn the guitar but just didn't enjoy it.

Which ever you choose, check pawn shops for either. I know they have good deals on electronic keyboards that would be good enough to get you started.

Let us know what you decide and good luck!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Don't forget Bass Guitar, and of course....drums...
Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hahahaha, drums! I plan on doing this after I put my kids to bed at night. The noise of a piano or a guitar will be okay but drums would be too loud, unfortunately. Although they do sound fun!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I say try them both!

Guitar is easier, quicker to learn. You can learn a few chords and be playing and singing songs for your kids in no time.

Do you read music? If not, piano playing will put you on that track, too.

I've played both, enjoyed both. Piano playing is definitely the bigger challenge.

Have fun!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
Hahahaha, drums! I plan on doing this after I put my kids to bed at night. The noise of a piano or a guitar will be okay but drums would be too loud, unfortunately. Although they do sound fun!
Sounds great with headphones:

Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Guitar....it's much more portable!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What about the uke! Hugely popular these days, and imminently portable.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Piano -- You will be able to sit down and play one whenever you see one. You won't have to take it with you. You will learn treble and bass clef. You could be the Piano Man.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love the sound of both, however you can travel with a guitar and not your piano.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I play piano & LOVE it, but to meet your goals, I would say start with the guitar. It's relatively quiet, portable, less up front investment, and simpler, so you'll be able to pick it up quickly! Good luck & have fun!!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Okay, those drums rock! Who knew electric drums were even a thing?! But what can you do with drums, I mean, do you learn songs or how does that work? I guess I've never really paid attention to drums in music before. BTW, I can't think about drums without thinking of the movie Step Brothers! Lol!

Ukulele!! LOL! I could carry one of those around with me in my purse and bust out in song anywhere, anytime. Hahaha!

I'm leaning towards the piano. The Elton John reference sort of did me in. I love Elton John, John Legend, Coldplay, Alicia Keys and, of course, the Charlie Brown theme song.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Piano, I play and I love classical music. Chopin is my favorite composer
You will never get bored with a piano around.
If you live in a small place or are on a budget, the guitar might be more convenient though.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

totally biased here because i've been playing guitar 18 years and wish I had learned more on the piano than just a few chords.

There is something about making a sound with your bare hands, your skin touching the strings, the ability to bend them and delve into those in between semitone spaces that may just be where the emotion is, developing callouses the longer you play, expressing emotion even when you aren't that technically great, these are things i not only like but am thankful for about the guitar.

i like the advice of trying them both though lol.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Do you know how to read music? I learned how to play guitar but had a tough time teaching myself. I took a basic intro to classical guitar at my community college and it was like a light bulb went on. I love it so much. Piano's fun too, but acoustic guitar is my favorite. I also enjoyed playing the flute when I was a kid.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I pretty much know nothing about music, either reading it or making it. I know what kind of music I like to listen to and what I'd eventually love to be able to play (ironically, I LOVE Louis Armstrong but want nothing to do with playing the trumpet) but that's about it. I took a handful of piano lessons when I was in high school but I don't really remember anything from them. I'm kind of considering maybe taking a lesson once a week. Maybe I can have it directly before or after my counseling appointment… maybe. But I'm really excited about doing something just for myself, I feel kind of silly being excited about this though.

I want my kids to learn how to play an instrument when they're old enough to, so I might as well try my own hand at it now. Ditto for speaking a foreign language but I'm already semi fluent in Spanish and French.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think piano is a great one to start with. I started playing in grade school. But I'm also teaching myself guitar. I've played the violin, clarinet, and a few of the typical elementary school standards (recorder, autochord...), but always go back to the piano.

I could go on forever about the instruments I'd like to learn: cello, mandolin, pipa, drums, sitar, oboe, shamisen ....

I don't know about lessons, but I've always wanted to sit down at and play one of those HUGE pipe organs. I guess, though, that something that big, lessons would be good and preferred by any one in the building.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I took piano lessons for a few years as a child but I never practiced and remember only the basics now. I've always regretted not taking it seriously. My sister plays. You can tell her mood based on what she's playing and how loud she plays, lol. I love the piano

But, the great thing about a guitar is that you can carry it everywhere and play it almost anywhere. I think of the guitar as an active instrument because people (at least in my life) tend to join in with the guitar - singing, playing other instruments, etc. Versus the piano feels more passive. Yes, you can add other instruments and singing to a piano but it seems like people are more likely to just listen.

Now, if you're looking for an instrument for your daughters to learn - absolutely recommend the piano

Congrats on the grad school applications!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I played piano for a long, long time. If I had to do it over, I would play guitar. I always wanted to take part in the collaborative part of music which is difficult to do as a classically trained pianist. Guitar is portable, easy to learn, and you can learn out of a book and off of Youtube, and if you have a decent voice, you'll be ready to fly.