Notices

Another DUI

Old 02-08-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another DUI

Recently totaled my truck and received my 2nd DUI in state w/in 10 years. Totaled my 03 Silverado when I fell asleep at the wheel at 70 mph on the interstate. Thankfully, it was a single vehicle accident. Spent 14 days in jail (held w/out bond). Released last Sun. after appealing my bond ruling. Going for sentencing on Tue. It's hard for me to keep my head up. I must keep moving forward. I have a family and a house to consider. Luckily, I had some savings and credit to fall back on. Really can't start work until I get my license back in June. So much sh*t has been lumped on my plate due to my own stupidity. I'm grateful I'm still here and nobody else was hurt. Need to get back into an AA program. I feel ashamed and stupid. Must keep my head in the game for my family and myself. Looking for anybody that has been in my shoes that I can talk with.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

just think forward...on recovery and how you can work or keep busy until suspension is up. is their public transportation? a project you wanted to do for a while? stay positive..there are a lot worse things ..trust me..and of course nobody got hurt
Old 02-08-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, I agree with Caboblanco. CHIN UP XXXX
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wish public trans. was an option. We're lucky to have sidewalks where I live Projects are the plan. I have to make a list so I can see the light.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Make sure no more shi*t gets slumped into your plate by helping yourself. Go to those meetings and try to get sober. You've already done the first part, reaching out for help, knowing you have a problem with alcohol and all of the no good that comes with it.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, been there done that! I haven't had a license for 4 yrs., by choice. I don't have a family so it was just me. Its a royal pain in the ass but you've got to jump through the hoops and do what is required in order to get your license back. And its expensive. It takes a while to clear your record for insurance purposes, etc. I am also thankful that no one else was hurt due to my irresponsible decision and that is something you can be grateful for! You are definitely not alone. Even former Pres. Bush had a DUI. No one is immuned.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi.....know how you are feeling. I got the 3rd DUII a year ago this month. I had had one 14 years ago, so lost my license for a year. I then lost my job because it included transporting clients. The shame I felt was "HUGE", wanted to throws some things in a back pack & walk up to the interstate & disappear. I was able to get a hardship permit to look for work & did get a job (them knowing about my DUII) & am able to drive to work & they also allow you to drive to meetings. (you have to "in writing" tell them which meetings & describe specific routes that you take to get to & fro). I have a emissions device in my car & will have to keep it for another year after I get my license back in April. I am just so thankful I did not hurt anyone......I was twice the legal limit. We cannot go back & you will be surprised at how supportive people are when they know you are struggling with an addiction & taking steps you need to get help. Your family needs you & I know mine have been my biggest support. Be good to yourself
Old 02-08-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

lol Dick Cheney had 2 dui in 8 months..never lost his licsence
Old 02-08-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
lol Dick Cheney had 2 dui in 8 months..never lost his licsence
Yeah, there's something definitely wrong with that. But I'm not surprised either...
Old 02-08-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hmmmm...never knew that tidbit about Cheney. He's one of the privileged few.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me, I had a long period of comtemplation, knowing all the while the mounting pile of destructiveness drinking caused in my life (tiredness, money, bad relationship choices...). Everyone's story is different, every level of sorrow unique. Reaching out truly is the biggest hurdle. And you've done it!

I bought books on Amazon, and read and read and read. The library would work for resources. There are lots of sites out there (this one is primo, IMHO), the fix, etc. I know AA is a Godsend for many millions of people worldwide. Online too!

Healing and growing is a boatload of reward. Dive in! It's a thousand times better.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's the DUI Hall of Fame!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kissimee54 View Post
It's the DUI Hall of Fame!
unfortuntely more famous people have gotten duis and cut backroom deals then you like to think..Sam Donaldson was one of the last ones
Old 02-08-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support. I have gone 6 years since my last DUI. Was totally sober for 8 months. Slowly, over the years I got more and more complacent with my consumption. First, I only drank a couple at home. Then, just a couple out with friends. Had a handle on things for years. Then out of the blue I went all out and don't remember much of that night. I now realize I cannot control my alcoholism. I have to abstain completely. I know I have to look forward, but my insane decisions make me reflect on my past.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I know you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, I've had 2 DUIs and I didn't go to jail; I guess that also makes me "one of the privileged few"...

Rather than waste any time comparing fair or unfair results, I like what you said at the very beginning tarheelz, that you didn't hurt anyone (or kill anyone). You can volunteer on Tuesday to have an interlock installed (which should allow for probation and for you to drive). I have had both of those for a year now, and believe me, it is survivable. Also can you ride a bike to work if necessary?

I'm with others: chin up!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support and advice. Here in the Commonwealth the mandatory minimum sentence for a 2nd DUI is 10 days in jail/$1000 fine/4 months loss of license. Eligible for restricted license w/interlock after 4 months. I have a nice mountain bike, but that's a dangerous thing on rural roads at 5am. I'm an industrial electrician and start time is 7am My last superintendent is a fellow veteran and a good Christian. I was a foreman on one of his jobs for over a year. We carpooled together in his company truck for 2 weeks on a job last Dec. I don't know if I would be committing "career suicide" by disclosing my current situation. He's a regular at our monthly union meetings and likes my work. I was laid off due to work being slow and me being with the company for only a year and a half. (There were electricians with this company for 20 years sitting at home). For now, I could be called by name for this company as a foreman. I'm thinking I had better keep quiet since I don't drive a company truck. That's the obvious answer and I guess typing this is therapeutic.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

wow 1 dui in my state is 1year suspension..no fighting that...and 1 year interlock breath machine after when you get you licsence back..you can count on about $15,000 when all is said and done..2nd dui is 2 year suspension..3 year interlock
Old 02-08-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear that, but the past is done. Look to the future and how you can improve yourself. People who dwell on the past are doomed to repeat it.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tarheelz1224 View Post
My last superintendent is a fellow veteran and a good Christian. I was a foreman on one of his jobs for over a year. We carpooled together in his company truck for 2 weeks on a job last Dec. I don't know if I would be committing "career suicide" by disclosing my current situation.
If he is a "good Christian" I would think he would be understanding and would show compassion toward you and want to help you.