Notices

Another DUI

Old 02-08-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

They came up with the DUI laws to keep the public at large a little safer from us drunks.
Years back, they helped enable me. I'd get pulled over they took my liquor and told me to drive straight home. That doesn't happen these days.

I tell my son on a regular basis do you want to drink and walk the rest of your life or do you want to drive cause you sure can't do both
Old 02-08-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm sure it feels like everything is overwhelming at the moment, but your idea of making a list and a plan is a good one. I am so grateful that the situation didn't turn out to be worse than it is, with serious injuries or death. This is an opportunity for you, if you take it, to turn your life around. You can do this!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

tarheelz, I am really sorry you have to deal with this, but you will find a way. A friend of mine just spoke at a meeting on Friday and his story includes killing a Mother (her son was in the car too, thankfully survived). And another woman who has been my "pal" in sobriety was found dead in her apartment Friday. There are worse things.

I think you might want to talk to a Union Priest? They have to keep the confidence and there may be more help than you know available. It is not usually "advertised", but quite often a part of union "help".
Old 02-08-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had three DUIs in two years and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I spent sometime in jail and did a year of due court. I had to go to class 3 times a week, pee in a cup 3-5 times a week a d do 3 A A meetings. It sacked at the time but it saved my life. I have bee sober 2.3 years. Hold on it will get better.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Tarheelz. I'm really glad you're still with us so you can get sober and have a great life.

I've been there too - it was the beginning of the end of my drinking career. I think it needed to come to that. I played with it for so long, but when it took that serious turn I had to stop pretending I could ever control myself. It's good to have you with us - hope it helps to be able to talk about it with others who understand.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Pray hard for guidance and for sobriety.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by tarheelz1224 View Post
Really can't start work until I get my license back in June.
How will you get you license back in June if you just got another DUI?

Lots of people in my AA meetings have lost their licenses. Maybe go to a meeting and see if you can meet others with similar experiences?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the advice and support! @ Freethinking - I will be eligible for a restricted license in June. Will have to have that for the next 2 years.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I've had two of 'em and luckily 'faded' a third due to the fact they couldn't prove I'd been drinking at the time when they finally caught up with me.

I was blessed in all three cases - and the countless other times I shouldn't have been driving - to have not injured or killed anyone; myself included.

All I can say is get yourself to AA, commit to sobriety, start doing what you're ordered and pick up the pieces. It's going to suck, there's no way around that. And it will suck for a long time. I still wind up finding new consequences years later. Most recently, I discovered I am "criminally ineligible" to enter Canada because I have two DUIs. Couldn't accompany friends on a trip there. Last year I found that I am ineligible to be a Big Brother in the Big Brothers program. I was pretty bummed because they're in dire need of more male "Bigs" and that program was there for me as a kid. I have to wait 5 years to be considered due to my last DUI.

Get ready for a long road of regaining various privileges and paying off significant fines and legal fees, finding alternate means of transportation and possibly more jail time. All you can do now is face up to it and use this to steel your resolve of creating a better-than-ever life for yourself.

If you let it, this can be your bottom... right now....

Or, you can make the other choice and see how much worse it gets before you finally decide enough is enough.

hang in there....

Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

He Tar, in the same boat, going for sentencing tommorrow at 2 pm. Lawyer told me to wear xtra socks and underwear as I will be doing sometime. Also have my other half who has no one else to rely on and has a serious heart condition. Has cost me $11500 in lawyers and the fines are going to be some $4000 plus ankle bracelets and interlocks probably another $3-4000 , it's not like the old days anymore! Keep your chin up and don't drink , you are in better shape than a lot on here. If I can't get to a computer for a while I will PM you when I get out and check on you! Stay Strong and Well! Bobby
Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Talking about projects , hell I wish they would put an electronic leash on me and let me do house arrest, i'd have all my home projects done, LOL! Stay Strong and Well! Bobby
Old 02-09-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Never heard of a "Union Priest" do they go on strike? Just asking? Stay Strong and Well! Bobby
Old 02-09-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Years ago I drove my car into a ditch off a major highway.
Luckily, no one witnessed it.
What did I do? I walked until I found a bar, drank some more, then called a tow truck.
When I was back on the scene the cops showed up.
They couldn't arrest me because they couldn't prove I was drunk at the time of the accident.
They hated me.
It was just a lucky break, but my luck has been running out. It was just a matter of time
if I kept on like I was.
Best of luck to you, it will get better.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

@ Amazingglazier - Good luck at court tomorrow. I hope your judge considers your willingness to change. Take care.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way, too!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

tarheelz,

Sorry to hear about your experience. THe positive thing is that there is hope. People have been quitting alcohol since wine was invented.. so there is hope for any of us.

Good luck in your journey!