Notices

Young, Smart and a Alcoholic?

Old 02-06-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Young, Smart and a Alcoholic?

So I have come to a weird crossroads in my life. I just graduated from a top college had a job lined up before I walked across the stage. Im in the field of technology and moved to a awesome young hip place. You would think I have my **** together first glance on paper but reality is that I have a issue with alcohol.

I never drank till college so when I had my first drink I was told to get smashed as all college kids did. I thought it was normal blacking out, hooking up with random guys. Just being a complete mess. I noticed though my drinking wasnt the same as my friends. I would get angry sometimes. I hit a couple of close people to me. I pissed places. I got kicked out of EVERY bar on campus. Like wtf!?!?! I got so caught up in the partying scene that I almost got kicked out. I drank all the time. EVery weekend. I always knew in the back of my head that me drinking was not a good idea. Waking up full of regret, hate, and anger towards myself. I knew that I was not drinking the same way and reacting to it like other people. But I didnt stop. People LOVED it when I was wasted. I had so many friends so to me even though inside I was empty and depressed alcohol replaced that.

I have gotten into trouble with the law twice. I have a DUI and a minor in consumption. I got the DUI two weeks after graduation. I was found driving on the wrong side of a HIGHWAY. i could have almost killed myself. I could have lost my job I worked so hard for during college.

So here a I am. After getting a ultimatum from my bf (who I have flipped out on while blackout ) that if I dont stop drinking he will leave me. I have a issue. Its hard to come to the realization that you have one. Especially since I am so young (23). Everyone drinks at my age. I want to but I know I have ruined my life because of "goodtimes". I need support. My last drink was Feb. 1. My boyfriend gave me the ultimatum on super bowl sunday (perfect day huh?). I have stopped drinking for three months before (right after my DUI, I was freaked out) but I lied to myself and said that I can do this in moderation. And slowly but surely it got worse and worse. I dont want to fail again. Thats why Im here.

Any young people that are sober?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

I turned 31 this month, not as young as you, but I wish at 23 I had addressed my drinking. Alcoholism doesn't discriminate, graduates, young and old, it doesn't matter, it can affect people in all walks of life.

You'll find loads of support here, great to have you onboard!!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You're taking a great step in joining here, tons of support. I think it's great you're identifying you have a problem at your age... me, I think I knew all along and just ignored it.... wish I had my 20's back!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ohhhh you sound like me. Ive fallen in a ditch along side of thr road and couldnt get up. Almost got hit by a car that same night. I almost lost a very good fire job. I once worked in a small bht cool tourist town town...managed to get kicked out out every bar except one. Only because the owner is a Marine and Im a Corpsman. Ive pissed the bed countless times. Pushex away everyone in my life. Hace lost somewgere around 2000$!!! In cell phones. 2 pairs of ray bans. Have scars above each eye from falling. Am now recovering from an ankle injury from falling while drunk...trying to get more to drink.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Blackout...wake up...blackout. onething I do see with you is your strong. Youve managed to still graduate while being so severe. Only 3 days ago affter YEARS...have I finally looked at myself. Its gonna be a hard road but I think you can do it. You might wanna look into underlying issues. I am from somewhat of a broken home...am bipolar...and have ptsd....When I drink its an intense insanity. Massive highs...right into massive lows...and drinking just pours fire on it.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome
"Everyone drinks at my age."
not really. but it could be just that the ones your age yer hangin with do.

theres many your age in recovery.
theres many that were once your age and are now older that are in recovery.

check out young people AA. theres meetings in Denver,too.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome youngLadySober

I'm not young, or a lady, but you'll find some young folks here

welcome aboard

D
Old 02-06-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I was never sober when I was young, but I wish I had been. Would have avoided a lot of heartache and I may have got myself an eduction too xxxx
Old 02-06-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

If, you are smart an can recognize alcoh is a problem you can have a good life ahead of you. Woe to you if it's causing problems now and you do not try and stop drinking.
The consequences for drinking are much higher then they used to be when I was your agè. The work places for the most part turned a blind eye unless you were really bad shape at work. Police used to confiscate your alcohol and told you to drive careful going home and if they saw you driving any more that night they would run you in.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What tomsteve said. I am real familiar with Denver and I happen to know there are a lot of 20-somethings in the rooms of AA there.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your story made me sick and netvous...cause your like me. Tonight Im going to AA. For the first time in my life I will admit to being an alchohlic. You should too!!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not necessarily young, but in my opinion age doesn't matter in this battle. Just like ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, sexual orientation, political or religious affiliation. None of it matters - this addiction does not discriminate.

You are so smart to recognize this problem so early in your life. For some of us, the recognizing alone may take decades. Once it's out of the way the real work begins. It's now up to you to find which recovery path works best for your life. There are many and it may take some tweaking here and there to find which one fits you best. Just don't give up. You & the amazing life you've set up for yourself are worth sobriety!

You're so incredibly lucky - what I wouldn't give to have my 20's & 30's back. We're here with you every step of the way, fighting this beast alongside you.

Welcome to the family, YoungLady. I'm so glad you've joined us.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You just described me. The only difference is that I never really got in trouble (for which I was really lucky because I took risks) but like you I passed out and m ade a fool of myself. I am in a great university and like you, I have too many opportunities to party. I'm sober since Feb 1 like you. We can do this!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Young, Smart and a Alcoholic?

nah, can't be...alcoholics are old and stupid

hello, young one. good for you for seeing it now. good for you for not buying into stereotypes that so easily can stop us from looking at ourselves. good for you for picking a bf with good self-care knowledge and the guts to tell you outright. good for you for reaching out to others. and good for you for quitting.

but I lied to myself and said that I can do this in moderation.

yes; i did that, too. and wasted much time with the moderation experiment. repeatedly.
what helped with that was finally seeing and accepting that, in fact, i didn't ever WANT to have ONE drink.

good to have you here.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's really great that you've sought out counseling for your alcohol problem. The main thing to keep in mind is that alcohol can rob you of your future, including your life in an instant. Have you started your new job yet? If your employer finds out about the DUI, will there be any negative consequences?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us! I wish I'd come to that same realization decades ago. I wasted so many wonderful years being numb and stupid. This won't happen to you.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am 26 and I was just like you when I was 19-21. I think I knew I had a problem when I was your age but I didn't care bc I only drank on weekends, hardly ever had hangovers, "everyone else did it too" and I liked being the party girl. Plus when I wasn't drinking I felt fine. WELL, in the last few years I haven't pissed myself or hit anyone or drove wasted like I used to-but I did start drinking a few beers on week nights and obviously more on weekends-usually blacked out by the end of the night. I definitely started getting hangovers. And then over the last year I have drank most days 3-6 beers. Never during the day. Only getting tipsy/drunk on weekends. Then out of nowhere I started really feeling like crap all the time. I decided to give it a rest for 30 days and see how I felt- made it 6 days and ended up drinking again. Made it another 6 days and drank. And now here I am on my 4th day AGAIN and I still feel like crap. To add to my misery my right side has been aching ever since last weekend. For the past 2 months it has hurt a little after every weekend but usually went away quickly. I have obviously done some damage so if I were you I'd quit while you're ahead. Bc it sneaks up on you and even tho you might "have it under control" for a few years it will get away from you without you even realizing and smack you right in the face. And it is not a good time. Before I always justified my "not having a problem" bc I didn't have withdrawals. Well those will sneak up in you too and fast and from what I've read I only get "mild" ones! This past month I've been trying to quit I've had horrible anxiety. Every time. It's brutal. Do yourself a favor and quit now. It doesn't get better but it is guaranteed to get worse. Glad you're here. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey YLS! Welcome to SR! I'm a 25 yr old female and college grad as well! Joined a few weeks ago.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by youngLadySober View Post
I was found driving on the wrong side of a HIGHWAY. i could have almost killed myself. I could have lost my job I worked so hard for during college
This really stood out to me....You could have killed yourself but also innocent people besides yourself.