Notices

Young, Smart and a Alcoholic?

Old 02-07-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery!
You've gotten some great advice here and you can get more the more you stick around. One thing that caught my eye in your recent post is your impending trip to Vegas. If this was my decision to make, I wouldn't go, especially so early in recovery. The temptation to drink and have to start back at Day One would be too strong for me. Have you considered changing your plans? Maybe it won't be a problem for you, but it certainly would be for me. Something to think about.
Best of luck in your journey.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hey there is another young lady, also a collrge student, also from Denver, she just joined on this thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...post-site.html
Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

also; don't let people's irritation or pushing you or phrases like "c'mon it's VEGAS" get to you.

It's not about YOU, it's about THEM.

I have found a lot of folks who glorify drinking tend to also have problems or developing problems with alcohol themselves. It makes them uneasy or uncomfortable to consider someone else who has recognized the problem and decided to do something about it. It shines a light on their own doubts about the 'wisdom' in spending their lives going and getting wasted. Or even NOT getting wasted.... even if all they're doing is spending their lives in activites that center around alcohol..... I think on a spiritual level every human being 'knows' inside that alcohol is a waste. Why do you think it's called "getting wasted".

There's so much joy and wonder in this life to experience. Why throw even a few hours away on pouring toxic chemicals down your throat and having the illusion of 'fun'?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

You are not the only young one struggling with this - there are thousands of us out there... I'm not even 21 yet! I attend a great University and I also didn't drink before coming to college. But then I started binge drinking it up on the weekends, and it took me a couple of years to realize that I drank different than everyone else.... that I could never just stop. I used it to cope with the stress, exhaustion, and expectations (yay college, right?), so for me, the night wasn't over until I was utterly wasted and could forget all of my problems. Of course that never made the problems go away! I only had more when I woke up in the morning...

I'm so proud of you for recognizing alcoholism while you're still so young... One of the things that helps keep me sober is an email-exchange AA group. It is called AAE, "Above All Else." There are only about 40 of us or so, just some goofy alcoholics who share our struggles and hope with each other. Maybe you can browse through some of these online meeting alternatives and see if any stand out to you. (Google "Online Intergroup of Alcoholics Anonymous" and it's the first result that pops up - check out the Online Meeting Directory). There may or may not be something for you. Everybody's recovery looks a little bit different!

And of course, everyone here on SR is here to support you! Like I said, you're not alone.

PS: This is me all the time in college. I guess I'm just learning how to deal with it sober rather than drunk! Keep up the good word one day at a time.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Welcome!

I'd second the suggestion of finding a young people's AA meeting. They are everywhere. And you'd be surprised how much sober time you'll find in rooms like these. A good friend of mine got sober right before her 21st birthday. She has over 10 years clean now. She has never taken a legal drink.

I personally feel more comfortable sitting in a meeting with people around my age. It's a great way to build a solid support network of sober friends.