Christmas at the bar.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christmas at the bar.

He cracked a beer at 11am...and I was immediately taken back to last Christmas. ..where he was plastered. I spent last Christmas with him and my family fighting back tears and hoping they wouldn't notice while he sat there wasted. Today started the same way. So at the last second I told him I didn't want to go with him to his family's house. I went to a movie alone instead...and let it put my mood in a sad state. Yeah...time to go to a meeting .. I know.

He got home, furious. Me, hurt. I tried to tell him (because communication has been Ok lately) that I didn't not go to hurt him. But to protect myself. He sat there silent and that wasn't Ok with me so I got mad. He said he didn't want to talk to me...so I left. And now I'm at a bar .. on Christmas. Go figure. I hate alcohol and here i am.

Im here because i dont want to talk about it...or drag anyone i love down with my attitude. The bar on Christmas is hopping in my small town. Loud music , loud happy drunks, drinking a way today. I put myself in this crappy place, i know...not sure how to turn it around tonight.

Bleh....sorry for the pitiful post. I just needed to say it all....and that I hope you all are doing better in your recovery than I.

May 2014 bring us all a brighter year than the last...no matter how good it was!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Firebolt. If there's one thing As seem to do well it's ruin a holiday. It just stinks.

I hope your 2014 is full of peace, joy, and love.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

O fitebolt...im sorry. Its so hard. Tomorrow my ah will be in a situation that will have him drinking im sure, it makes me sick. Upstairs alone right now.. and so tired of life.

You know what, think about the three Cs. This is his issue and it does not control who you are.

Hugs
  # 4 (permalink)  

# 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey, firebolt. Pretend that I am sitting in the seat next to you in the bar. I just didn't want you to feel so alone--you sound really miserable, tonight.

Lets face it--a drinking alcoholic is hard to deal with--and, on Christmas it is almost always a disaster. Of course he would be furious with you--who else could he blame??? Certainly not himself!

Alcoholics simply do not appreciate any feedback about their drinking--esp. how it affects other people. It makes the look bad.

You did fine, girl. You kept the potential fighting to a minimum.

I hope the music is good??

Just try to get some sleep tonight--and avoid the grinch, if possible.

dandylion
Old 12-25-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks alll. The bartender just bought me a drink. I must look defeated between you guys and her i feel a bit better. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The music IS good...and yes I'm going to picture you all here with me...telling stories laughing and playing cards. Like Christmas should be. Thank you!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sending you hugs! And I'm hoping you enjoy yourself in spite of what brought you there originally!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

firebolt, the few bars that are open by me on Christmas Day are not filled with "happy drunks". They are mostly filled with hard core alcoholics who have nowhere else to go.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Upset..I know. They are drinking away Christmas day 2013, the only one they get. It's so sad.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Just sending you a gentle hug.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

(((Hugs))) My kids pretty much ruined our Christmas, but alcohol was not involved. Just a ton of ungratefulness all around. :-\
Old 12-25-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry grits. Bleh. Better days ahead to us all!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey firebolt,

I know it's a sad night for you, but at the same time, I think it's great that you made the decision not to go with him when you didn't want to deal with his drinking/behavior.

Hugs to you.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm so sorry, firebolt!!

So, can you teach me to play a new card game? I love hot chocolate and Scrabble!!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Haha. Sure Seren....to start, Bah humbug IS a word and I'll always allow it
Old 12-26-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'll play Grinch off the "g". Lol
Old 12-26-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In solidarity: I had a really lonely Christmas away from my STBXAH. The kids were at their dad's houses and I'm at odds with my mom and my FOO, so I spent minimal time there this year for Christmas. No presents for me, and the kids' unwrapping at my house won't happen until this weekend. So it was quiet, dark, and lonely at Flo's place. Other than a few minutes where I felt sorry for myself, I kept reading the boards here, remembering that I *could* be on the verge of an anxiety attack at my STBX in-laws, or on the verge of an anxiety attack at my FOO's. I went to a small get-together with friends, called my family of choice, and took a long nap in the afternoon.

The holidays are stressful for most people, and they are additionally sad and conflicted for some of us. You're making progress, and that's the best gift you can give yourself.

xx
Old 12-26-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If I play Ebenezer round the N do I get lots of points for Z ?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Absolutely! We'll even allow you to cross the "triple word" points location on the board