Notices

New

Old 12-23-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

I need help. I feel like I'm dying. I'm tired, scared, sad, and I don't know what to do. I don't have insurance. I'm broke. I just want to give up.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Soshi.

What has happened?

Have you stopped using/drinking and are feeling sick?

Or have you just had enough?

There is an solution - do not give up.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bad weekend. Been drinking a lot lately, and I was drunk all weekend. My house is a mess, my marriage is suffering, I feel so overwhelmed and I don't know where to start.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Welcome Soshi! Most everyone feels the same as you when they arrive.

The drinking problem can be solved and there is a lot of support on this site.

You can find peace and serenity again.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are not alone.

Many here have used to much time, energy and life on alcohol.

It is possible to stop and it is worth it.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Finances are a worry, but they are worse when we drink because alcohol is expensive. I hope you find some answers here, there are various forms of support out there that cost nothing. Keep posting and reading so you can find some options. If you need to see a Doctor, perhaps it might be a good idea. xxx
Old 12-23-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel so alone. My husband was up all night drinking. Now he's asleep on the couch. I desperately want to talk to someone, but I don't want to confide in any of my friends.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Soshi, don't despair. There are many here that achieved sobriety.
I have yet to hear a single one that regret it, including me at 14 days sober.

When I got here, my life was falling apart around me, my health was failing. I can't say that all my problems are now fixed, but they are a lot better already.

I take it one little step at a time, you can do that to. You just have to believe enough is enough and that you want your life back. First step.

You can do this!
Old 12-23-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Soshi, are you worried about your own drinking, your husband's, or both?
Old 12-23-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.
As the title of your post says, 'New'. Today is a new day and a day you can make a new start. That is a good place to start. Just don't drink today.
I can understand your problem. Alcohol wreaked havoc on my life. I won't go into the gory details. But let me say, I was, what I thought, was a hopeless drunk. If I make it through today without drinking, tomorrow I will have three years sober. And I was, as I said, a bad drunk. I don't even consider myself technicaly an alcoholic. I was a drunk.

When I finally quit, my life slowly got better and better.
I feel for you and wish you the best. You've found a great place for support and I hope you stick around and read and post as often as you like.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who responded.
Does anyone have any advice on how to get sober and stay that way when my husband won't? This would be easier if we were doing it together.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Both. He drinks a lot, every day. I can go days without drinking, but, once I start, I drink to the point of blacking out. And stupidly, I chug it. I don't even know why. I go from sober to unconscious without the joy of being buzzed.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is something you can discuss with him. But sobriety is a personal journey, it's something you have to do for yourself first. If you mingle the effort, if he relapses, you will probably also.

He also has to want sobriety, and if his rock bottom is not here yet, you can't force this on him. My 50 Cents.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're right. I know that. I wish he wanted to be sober, but he doesn't think he has a problem. I know I do.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

My partner also drank heavily and I really struggled because he had no intention of giving it up. Unfortunately I had to part from him in the end. Try talking to him about it, it's worth giving it a go. He will have to curb it if you are struggling financially, you can't get on top of things if he is holding you back.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Soshi, most of us have reached that point when we reach a realisation that something has to change, and there is no doubt, it can be a scary moment, the fear of the unknown, the fear of failure, the fear of how can it be done, that's why most can't do it on our own, we need support and like minded people to get us through, SR is a great resource but there are other resources like AA and community groups.

It all though needs to start with a Day 1, forget about the weeks/months/years, it's about stringing 1 sober day after another, it can be done, and don't get me wrong most of us have slipped now and again, but that's fine, it's about getting back up and going at it again.

A realisation that something needs to change, is positive in itself, with the right support and a plan you can make it happen!!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Soshi

Its difficult when you partner still drinks but it's not a dealbreaker - many posters here have partners who drink but they have remained sober themselves.

I think support is very important, and you'll find a lot of that here. If you're intested in face to face support as well there's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

If you need access to a Dr there are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D
Old 12-23-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Soshi. My mate continues to drink even as I try to stay sober. It has been a challenge but, when you think about it, it's your body and your issue to address. YOU control whether or not you continue to drink. Not him. If he chooses not to address his own alcohol use, there is nothing you can do to force that.

Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am new here also Soshi, but at this time of year things seem much more difficult for some. I wish you well. Please don't give up, keep trying. You are worth it as all who post here.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Soshi, it is hard to quit; even more difficult when you have a situation like yours but it is possible.

I am on day 1 again today, but I made it 6 1/2 years before I stumbled. When you know it's time to quit, you have had it, but it is truly great that you made that revelation. I've been there. It took me years to realize I had a problem.

If you want to move forward and your huband does not, my opinion is that you need to do whatever you have to do to get yourself better. Go to a meeting and stay on here. I joined today and I've been on here all day and it is helping. It gives me hope and reminds me that I am not alone in this struggle.