Notices

Kombucha??

Old 10-12-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kombucha??

I Really love kombucha and used to make it at home all the time. I'm curious if I can still drink it? I've had no alcohol in any form including tinctures and extracts while recovering for the past 28 days and I've read that drinking kombucha can either be helpful in reducing cravings or can spark cravings because it does contain less than 1 percent alcohol. If you've read my previous posts, I certainly have a drinking problem but I was a 3-4 drinks a night kind of alcoholic with occasional nights of drunkenness. So I don't really have a fear of drinking a sip of kombucha and then it turning into an all night drink fest. Any one have any experience with this? Kombucha is a mildly fermented tea that is excellent for healing the body.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think this is one only you can answer Mama... I tended to follow what seemed to be most people's advice and avoided everything that contained alcohol. I think my family thought I was being silly with the alcohol and food thing but I stuck with it. On a couple of occasions I have accidentally had alcohol in food and it really did trigger me though so I think it was the right choice. I have never had kombucha so don't know how I would react to that, but I feel like it is a kind of safety zone avoiding all alcohol so I am sticking with it. Oh that said I have had cough syrup with alcohol in it, just because I couldn't find any that didn't, and that wasn't really a problem. It is an individual thing I guess x
Old 10-12-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you are abstaining why take the risk - alcohol is alcohol after all? If not then it isn't an issue I would have thought.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No half measures

IMO any alcohol in any amount is a very dangerous practice. Chemically it trips the brain for more and the cravings kick in
Old 10-12-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

congratulations on 28 days!!!

I think kombucha is similar to n/a beer in the sense that it triggers some people but not others. i'm fine with n/a beer, if I have it on occasion (like 1 a month or two). but for me, if I started drinking it nightly, like I used to real beer, I would be just messing with my own mind. i'd want the real thing soon enough.

that said, I didn't feel safe doing ANYTHING that made me go, "hmmmm" in the first few months. I needed to get to know my new, sober mind better before giving anything but absolute sobriety-don't even sniff the Listerine-sobriety. is 28 days long enough to be pondering this yet?

good luck! wehav
Old 10-12-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I wanted my body to heal well before I thought of taking in stuff.

glad I did.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My guess is if your asking for approval you probably know the answer for you.

Its something only you can answer sort of like consuming food that has alcohol in the ingredients - differing views.

For me I am not triggered but I am trying to be honest with myself and not consume (knowingly) anything with alcohol. I think it has more to do with the intentions versus the actual intake percentage.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm really asking because kombucha has significant health benefits, and I used to consume it daily. I want to be able to consume it again without worrying about it triggering cravings. I think I would be okay, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience
Old 10-12-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No idea what kombucha is... never heard of it...
Old 10-12-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by 83mama0f2 View Post
I'm really asking because kombucha has significant health benefits, and I used to consume it daily.
From the Mayo Clinic:

Health benefits attributed to kombucha tea include stimulating the immune system, preventing cancer, and improving digestion and liver function. However, there's no scientific evidence to support these health claims.

There have, however, been reports of adverse effects such as stomach upset, infections and allergic reactions in kombucha tea drinkers. Kombucha tea is often brewed in homes under nonsterile conditions, making contamination likely. If ceramic pots are used for brewing, lead poisoning might be a concern — the acids in the tea may leach lead from the ceramic glaze.

In short, there isn't good evidence that kombucha tea delivers on its health claims. At the same time, several cases of harm have been reported. Therefore, the prudent approach is to avoid kombucha tea until more definitive information is available.

That, and alcohol...two reasons to avoid it.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can investigate & discover lots of wonderful natural things that help and facilitate healing in your body. Ones that don't contain alcohol. It just doesn't seem wise to me to consume kombucha.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drink Kombucha on occasion and find no cravings what so ever. Get the clear bottle and not the brown. This may ease your mind.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

We each have our own concerns about alcohol we consume while remaining abstinent. Snapple has been removed from shelves in Dubai because it contained 0.03% abv, and alcohol exists at measurable levels in coke and pepsi, at 0.001% abv. Alcohol is present in all bread leavened by yeast, in fruit juices, in yogurt, and even in fresh fruit.

So, some level of understanding is reasonable to inform our choices. A diet that includes precisely zero alcohol would be very strange indeed.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

In my circles, everyone who has drank it returns to AA saying they have relapsed because they drank it. Just my experience.
I agree, if you must ask you already know the answer. Who REALLY needs it anyway?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Okay just curious. If I try it I'll let you guys know how it effects me
Old 10-21-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Had some kombucha a couple days in a row now and I don't feel like it is triggering any cravings. yay! What about mulled wine? If you cook the wine long enough there won't be any alcohol left. I just got some mulling spices and that sounds really good.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Alcohol doesn't 'burn off' like we've been told. It has to be cooked for long periods of time to get rid of most of it and most foods cooked with alcohol still retain alcohol.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
We each have our own concerns about alcohol we consume while remaining abstinent. Snapple has been removed from shelves in Dubai because it contained 0.03% abv, and alcohol exists at measurable levels in coke and pepsi, at 0.001% abv. Alcohol is present in all bread leavened by yeast, in fruit juices, in yogurt, and even in fresh fruit.

So, some level of understanding is reasonable to inform our choices. A diet that includes precisely zero alcohol would be very strange indeed.
Additionally, the human body produces ethanol as a byproduct of normal digestion. In some very rare cases, the human body produces so much ethanol that a person becomes drunk.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Personally I think you are skating on thin ice if you start drinking mulled wine....That would put me on the road to relapse for sure.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Why do you want to? If I was rationalizing eating food that I was knowingly using reduced wine or drinking mulled wine, I would be questioning my motives. The subconscious works in interesting ways. This is a disease that has killed millions and ruined the lives of even more. I would be careful.

Btw - you had to know this post was going to illicit these responses. So why are you asking permission on SR? I would guess its bc deep down you are uncomfortable with all these decisions and you want others to rationalize what seems to be a poor choice and slippery slope. The is not a judgement but an attempt at an observation. I have no vested interest one way or another - I too tried to rationalize and see myself early on in these words.