Notices

Excessive Eating

Old 09-04-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Excessive Eating

Hello,
I am a week and a half sober and I noticed that I eat more (excessively, especially sweet and salty foods) and I am more tired than usual. I keep searching on-line to see if this is normal, but haven't found anything to validate what I'm going through. Is this normal for being newly sober?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, there. Yes, it was normal for me. If you are anything like me, you were drinking more than you were eating before you became sober and your taste buds were probably all messed up. That could be why you are eating a lot of sweet and salty foods since they have strong flavors. This forum has a lot of good information on nutrition: Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! I've been searching for some answers
Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

First off welcome! Congratulations on your sobriety!

You ask if its normal to crave sweet things? I could refer you to all our chocolate, ice cream, cookie, sweet fruit posts but it would take too much time

You'll get a lot of great info here, I'm glad that you joined!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes it is normal from what I have been reading and experiencing. I don't crave salty foods, but I sure as heck crave the sweets. I never indulged in sweets until I quit drinking. I mainly have this issue on my trigger days which is basically the entire weekend.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate, something fierce!

I never used to eat sweet, always very strict and good in what I ate (besides eating so much booze) - and now that I'm sober holy smokes - I can't wait to pound some Ben&Jerry.

What it is! I'm sober is all that matters. The belly will trim down on its own time.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes. Sweet stuff was on the top of my "gotta have" list. Some days I had the salty too. I would eat chips, then want chocolate, then to salty peanuts, then back to chocolate.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Me too, sweet then salty, then back to sweet. I ate brownie mix with a spoon the other night....
Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Unhappy Tiredness?

Can anyone relate to the newly sober fatigue?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The sweet stuff cravings have passed for me but I had them so bad at the beginning. It has to do with the levels of sugar found in alcohol that your brain is used to. I was eating all the time and super tired. I let my body go through that and around the 5 month mark I became vegan and started working out every day. Let your body (and mind) heal before you push it to do anything "healthy". Number one priority is to quit drinking, the rest will follow.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi there I am on day 10 and last night I ate half a tray of cinnamon buns with cream cheese frosting!! I never used to eat sweets. I don't really feel fatigue in the day but I am going to bed and having a very deep sleep. I do find it hard to get up in the morning. Once I am up though I feel way better than being hung over. I am sure your/our bodies will level out after a while.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I appreciate the input because what my body is going through is really weird. I will not push myself to heal and lose weight at the same time, I will give it some time. Meanwhile, I will eat chocolate like a maniac! that is WAY better than boozing...
Old 09-04-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
Me too, sweet then salty, then back to sweet. I ate brownie mix with a spoon the other night....
aurorap and everyone else, plug your ears and shut your eyes.

Hey jaynie! Save the brownie mix. Jif peanut butter has whips now. There's one that's made with chocolate.

I said nothing, what, what did I say??

You can all return to your regularly scheduled program now.

aurorap, do you think you have enough info on your question yet?

I am now banished to the stationary bike for no less than a 1/2 hour.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Since I quit drinking I am constantly hungry-- I am eating as I am typing this LOL--if it's edible I'll eat it--sweet salty greasy creamy crunchy--I am not choosy--yet I have lost weight since I quit drinking forty one days ago
Old 09-04-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh my, yes...have to have all my yummy favorites. Since I am a Rational Recovery girl, I understand that I am still somewhat feeding my "beast" but I also recognize that all of it (me and "it") is human, so I am giving into the love of food right now. But then I take a closer look and realize that before stupid alcohol took over my life I was a huge food lover so maybe this is just be being my authentic self. I have never been overweight or had any eating disorders, just love, love, love food. So, at the moment I am rediscovering my sweet tooth. I have always been in love with desserts, but didn't eat any for the past 13 years I have been drinking daily.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aurorap12 View Post
Can anyone relate to the newly sober fatigue?
I can. Day 10 and I am exhausted by dinner. I've been going to bed between 8:30 - 9:00 every night and slept 10 hours one night last weekend. I stayed up later when I was drinking 12-14 beers each night. No idea why I am so tired!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello, aurorap12 - I have been eating like a pig and sleeping like a baby. I am now normally in bed no later than 10:00 pm. I am beginning to yawn now as I down yet another pint of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey!!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aurorap12 View Post
Hello,
I am a week and a half sober and I noticed that I eat more (excessively, especially sweet and salty foods) and I am more tired than usual. I keep searching on-line to see if this is normal, but haven't found anything to validate what I'm going through. Is this normal for being newly sober?
I just posted this in a other thread. I am exhausted and eat way more crap than I ever have. I'm starting to think the crap I'm eating is what is making me feel so down. I ate a very healthy diet when I was drinking, I'm hoping this is something that will pass, or I may have an eating addiction to contend with!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep, blood sugar levels are messed up and correlate with your brain craving alcohol. After like 3 months now mine has passed.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

Very normal.