Notices

Totally hooked on sweets and and fizzy drinks now!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Totally hooked on sweets and and fizzy drinks now!

I'm on day 16 of being sober and since day 1 I have been eating junk food non stop and bags and bags of Haribo every day and drinking about 5 or 6 cans of full fat coke and other fizzy drinks, I cant stop its starting to worry me because i'm over weight as it is. I put on all my weight from drinking around 6 cans of Cider per day for years and years and the weekends alot lot more. I never was a big eater and only really had toast, sandwich for lunch and a normal dinner and hardly ever ate sweets, cakes or drank full fat coke. Im guessing my body is craving sugar but im actually putting on more weight and i was hoping to loose weight when i got sober! I'm not liking this soberiety thing one bit if im honest!!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well I never heard of someone getting a DUI of sweets yet. I'd say it's a craving of the body for sweets and fluids alcohol had been supplying. I enjoyed it for a few weeks and then reduced that compulsion. First things first. BE WELL
Old 06-27-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh god this! i need to start swimming again next week to work off all this ice cream.

i have never had a sweet tooth. this is ridiculous!!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I never had an interest in sweets till I quit. To keep the weight off, I run. Any chance you could develop an exercise routine? I find exercise also helps with keeping my urges at bay.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Coffee here with creamer and lots of Splenda to make it super sweet. I drink it all day and evening!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So funny, I am exactly the same. NEVER had a sweet tooth till I stopped boozing.

Last night I CRUSHED ice cream like I never have before.

ARGH!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was a craft beer junkie during my final few years of my drinking career so when I quit I gravitated to craft sodas. Granted I don't drink these everyday like I did beer but when I get a 4 pack it doesn't last very long. Candy is the same. Once the wrapper is open any sweet in the vicinity gets devoured. However I find it easier to abstain from sweets than I do alcohol, especially the more sobriety milage I put on myself. And I too never consumed sweets when I was a drinker but now that I've quit I find myself giving into them.

My advice to you is to not worry so much but brush your teeth 3 times a day and get some cardio work going to offset what you consume. My first month of sobriety I was really craving stuff now I don't necessarily crave sweets but my impulse control when I do have them is broken so I just stay away till I get the urge.

What are you doing to stay sober? Besides sweets
Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It was suggested to work on staying sober
first and formost before tackling other issues.
Learning to stay sober is a huge task to
handle and will take willingness, openmindedness,
and honesty each sober day.

I like many over do lots of things, especially
the drinking of alcohol. Then when I got sober,
I began to over do coffee.

With everything we over do comes consequences.

Too much caffeine, too much of a stimulant began
to affect my health which scared me right into
the doctors office.

Like drinking too much coffee or too much
alcohol, they were lessons I needed to learn
about so I wouldn't make the same mistakes
down the road that would affect my health
and life.

Balance is a good word to incorporate
in a recovery program to remind us that
too much of anything is not good for us.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Me too. Sigh. Last night I got into the stash of last year's Halloween candy that's been gathering dust on the top shelf of the cupboard. Fizzy drinks too.

I've been getting vitamin water zero which has no calories and is sweetened with stevia (not aspertame). I've also been making iced teas with stevia. Or Pellegrinos with lime or orange is kind of like a soda but sans sugar.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

same here.. junk food, candy.. I drink sugar free or soda with a splash or cranberry or oragne juice in it. soon I hope to be over all of that. I had to learn a new behavior to replace the old one. Eventually I will eat better, as I've always had a pretty healthy diet.. but I feel your PAIN!!!

You've got 16 days.. In my mind I wouldn't be worried about it too much until around day 30.. I've heard it takes 21 days to make a habit.. so after the habit of not drinking kicks in I will start to cut out the junk.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

At three months here and it is just starting to lighten up.

I don't crave the chocolate and the ice cream like I was. One chocolate candy bar a day and I am good to go now. I usually eat this at work in the afternoon. I am down to only eating ice cream about twice a week which is much better then every night. I am still addicted to my Coke Zero though and I don't really see that going away any time soon.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I gained 20 pounds in 3 months eating lots of sugar and carbs when I first quit drinking. I started binging on food instead of booze. Had to put a stop to that! I was eating everything and anything! I have been slowly taking the weight off and I am now down to the 120's again.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You could try seltzer with juices over ice instead of the cokes... would be a little healthier anyway. And if you're not opposed to Splenda or sugar substitute, you could do a zero cal drink that's sweet.

I refuse to completely give up my coffee with half & half and cake & ice-cream!! But I do it in moderation, else I'll have a huge insulin spike and get the hypoglycemia thing going... and that doesn't feel good! So I have a reinforcement there, to watch the sugar intake.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
You could try seltzer with juices over ice instead of the cokes... would be a little healthier anyway. And if you're not opposed to Splenda or sugar substitute, you could do a zero cal drink that's sweet.

I refuse to completely give up my coffee with half & half and cake & ice-cream!! But I do it in moderation, else I'll have a huge insulin spike and get the hypoglycemia thing going... and that doesn't feel good! So I have a reinforcement there, to watch the sugar intake.
What's the hypoglycemia thing feel like? I worry I may be prone to this. I avoid all sweets, but my one weakness: Sugary beverages, from sodas, fruit juices, from the most artificial, to the most organic. I'm trying to cut these out, but the cravings are there. I generally moderate, but sometimes, it's so easy to drink a good liter of soda in a sitting! Candy, cake, all that, nope...but if it's liquid and fruity...yum, yum, yum.

Maybe I should have more actual fruit, and drink water.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yup - me too. Never bothered with sweets until I quit. Then - huge cravings for anything sweet, even lollipops. One of my favorite things to do was put frosting on ice cream - omg - the shame. Thankfully, after a couple months it all settled down. (There are a few threads here addressing this.)
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
put frosting on ice cream - omg - the shame. )
Frosting on ice cream? I may have to try that! Actually, that really gave me a good laugh! Thanks for sharing..

:rotfxko
Old 06-27-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have developed a new addiction to Willy Wonka Sweettarts. I eat like a roll a day..everyday. I think leanings toward sugar are natural..BUT.. watch for voracious excess. When arresting addiction we are left with big old empty spaces with ourselves...don't fill them ALL with sugar...just chill out with you sometimes...
Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

One of my favorite things to do was put frosting on ice cream - omg - the shame.
That's awesome! I would put Hershey's choc sauce on that and cheesecake!
Old 06-27-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Don't encourage me LadyinBC.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Don't encourage me LadyinBC.
Oh I hear you! I'm just glad I'm not fixated on the sugar anymore. It was getting really bad. And I'm only 5 foot nothing so 5 pounds on me even makes a difference!