Notices

You're New Here...Now What?

Old 05-17-2013, 02:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You're New Here...Now What?

40 some odd days ago I came to this site.
Drunk. Manic. A sobbing wife in the other room making phone calls to see if there was a place I could go...ANYPLACE.
The next couple days were Hell. I was sick. Shaky. Scared of my own shadow, and not sure where, who, or what to turn to.
40 some odd days ago I came to this site and started reading. And reading. And reading.
I drew strength from the experiences from others. I learned when others stumbled. I started the process of healing myself by reaching out to those that were struggling. I've shared joy at successes, and felt badly at pitfalls.
So what now?

Stay here. Learn. Come back here. Learn some more.
If you slip and fall--so be it. But come back. Be determined to find the real you. The one that exists without booze, or drugs, or smokes, or pills, or whatever it is.

You are not alone, and the people here won't let you forget it...and that's all we ask, is that you keep coming back.

Be well out there. You've already started on the path that can make you whole again.
Best,
ScoutBall, Complete and Total Drunk: Sober Since March 31, 2013
Old 05-17-2013, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Scout so true congrats on your success! I'm right behind you 39 days about to graduate to the 40s, days that is not malt liquor! 😉
Old 05-17-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi there... I was slightly put off by the title, but I came in anyway (I'm nosey lol) Congrats on 40 days, I have found this site a great place for knowledge and inspiration... lets all keep going x
Old 05-17-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love posts like this. I ditto your sentiments. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Scout , your doing it ! Everybody look Scout's doing it. I'll be there. With the love of God and SR. Great post
Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congratulations on your achievement so far!

just started my journey too and finding this place has been a real help.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Quote=SB]40 some odd days ago I came to this site and started reading. And reading. And reading.
I drew strength from the experiences from others. I learned when others stumbled. I started the process of healing myself by reaching out to those that were struggling. I've shared joy at successes, and felt badly at pitfalls.
So what now?

Stay here. Learn. Come back here. Learn some more.
If you slip and fall--so be it. But come back. Be determined to find the real you. The one that exists without booze, or drugs, or smokes, or pills, or whatever it is.[quote]

Thank you for sharing your personal addiction recovering story.

I, much like you, drew from many strengths. Learning about CBT, REBT, AVRT and Zen meditation. All these learned skills will be for not if I do not put then to practice, daily. The "real me" or in my case my "original mind"[indent]This original mind is fourfold as Mencius called them 'four roots of the heart':
******** Compassion - The root of humaneness (ren).
******** Shame - The root of righteousness (yi).
******** Respect - The root of propriety and ritual observance (li).
********Knowledge of right and wrong - The root of wisdom (zhi).
[2]
Like real roots in nature these four roots must be nurtured first before flowers to bloom. So, in other words, these four roots of the heart are nothing but just tendencies of the mind. These four roots of the heart need proper nurturing and care to grow strong and healthy to manifest their true nature, which is moral virtue.