Notices

So Sick of Being Sick

Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So Sick of Being Sick

I do not want this to be taken wrong, neither am I seeking medical advice. I am here cause I am still a 'new-comer' to recovery. Maybe I am just understanding I am an absolute failure at this.

Went to docs first time with abdominal pain, was prescribed levsin (sp?) which I took for a little while, without drinking. A couple weeks later I woke up feeling like I was dieing, so I asked my dad to take me to ER on his way to work. Which basically I told them I was a heavy drinker, and only thing offered to me was 'heartburn meds' and a referral to local ADSAC (Alcohol abuse ppl). I just can not seem to get any help in the right direction. Yeah, I liked to drink... but realized it has become a problem.

Now I am stuck with constantly being in pain, or drinking that pain away. I don't want to have to do this, BUT TRUST me I have been looking for a regular doctor to see... since like last year, with no luck. Everyone I call is already over-booked.

I was a patient at mental health in my community, and even admitted I was using alcohol to kill myself (at one point), but when they hear the word alcohol as a means... they just label me dependent. I even admitted this at the ER my last visit, but was barely diagnosed (only there long enough to get my BP and Vitals in check, then released).

I guess I am venting in a way, because in my area... I do not see the point in being honest with a doctor anymore. I mean maybe that stop-and-doc I seen, I could have been a little more honest, but the ER... I think they gave me a LFT, but they never disclosed nothing to me... just I had alcoholic gastroenteritis (sp?).

I hate my state.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello hope. Have you decided to stop drinking? SR is a great forum to get support and resources to help you get and stay sober. On the medical front, hope you can find a doc that can give you a full diagnosis.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

how long ago did you stop drinking, soberhope?

D
Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope ~ I had so many serious physical problems while I was drinking. And my mental state was a chaotic landmine.

Putting down the alcohol changed so many things. I am no longer sick, and I am no longer confused and certain that I am crazy.

Maybe give the medical people another chance to help you? And maybe it's time for you to stop now... you can have an awesome life without alcohol, really.

Love Venus xx
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberhope1984 View Post
Now I am stuck with constantly being in pain, or drinking that pain away. I don't want to have to do this, BUT TRUST me I have been looking for a regular doctor to see... since like last year, with no luck. Everyone I call is already over-booked.
Any chance that you might be able to see a nurse practitioner instead?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - a lot open all the time it seems based on the changing numbers on this website:

if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Soberhope,
I was on chat last night and I did find your post. Keep coming back to this website, it has been a lifesaver for me. Also pray, it helps with perspective, and so does Sober Recovery.

"A failure at this"....that is just 'addiction-thinking'...you can get free from the defeated mindset...it took me enough 'failures' to realize that 'I' was working at getting free from the addiction, but the addiction-mindset and addictive-thoughts were coming from the addiction-corrupted part of my brain, and 'I' had to recognize these and dismiss them as just that...addiction-corrupted-thinking, which 'I' AM working at being free from.

It may sound like I am over-complicating this, but it is worked out in a very simple process on the AVRT / Rational Recovery website. If you have not done it..do a web search for ...AVRT...you will see the Rational Recovery / Crash Course...take the Crash Course right there on the website..it is free and it is an eye-opener.

I KNOW you CAN get free from any addiction, I am working on mine and the feelings of being completely defeated and a complete failure are almost completely gone.

Let me know how it is going...you working on you, helps convince me that I can keep working on me.