Notices

Addicted to Sober Recovery Website?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addicted to Sober Recovery Website?

Does anyone think that they're becoming addicted to this web site? I found myself spending too much time on this site during my two weeks here. Today is the beginning of my 12th day sober and, for me, I feel that I've been thinking about "recovery" too often and not living my life in reality. So I'm going to take some time away from this site and return after I get my 30 day chip.

Best of luck to all and see you soon!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I spent a large amount of time here my first few weeks. As I started getting more accustomed to being out in the world and learning how to be sober, I spent less time on the site. Unless it's causing you to get in trouble at work or at home because you aren't getting other important things done I wouldn't worry about it too much. You are very early into recovery at 12 days so there's no shame or worry at all in my book about spending too much time on recovery.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was sticking to this site that kept me sober in the early days...and it still does!!

I do other things too (honest!), but I don't stray far from here...x

Good luck, see you soon x
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

this went on for many many many months

Originally Posted by wanttobepure View Post
Today is the beginning of my 12th day sober and, for me, I feel that I've been thinking about "recovery" too often and not living my life in reality.
when the average one sobers up
whatever average one my be
I think there is never too much time spent on our sobriety
anything is better
than returning to our old sin issues
for me it meant many AA meetings in the mornings
afternoons spent with my Sponsor
afternoons that left me very burned out usually with a headache
then home for a nap on the couch
then much time spent in the evenings and mornings on recovery web sites
whatever it took so as not to drink
this went on for many many many months
then finally
my mind started to clear

onehigherpower
Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too am keeping sober by checking in here.
Funny you should mention this, just last night my wife and I were talking before bed, and I mentioned that I don't want to "be a recovering alcoholic".

Meaning: I'm not going to live my life constantly thinking about recovery. I am going to recover, gain as much knowledge as possible, keep my support close, and literally in my pocket. (Thanks Smartphone)!

I want my life back, and I spend a hell of a lot less time here than I did buying, drinking, hiding, sneaking, lying, spending, passing out, hungover, sick, re-drunking--the list is endless.

Best to you! Can't wait to see that sparkly 30 day chip!
Best.
Scoutie
Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I don't have a problem. I can quit anytime I want to.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It helps me alot to be here.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I spent a lot of time at first. It helps to have people that understand what you are dealing with. There is always someone who has passed that hurdle and can help you figure it out. I use SR when I need to.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No. Not any feelings of addiction to Sober Recovery Website at all. I'm very grateful to this site, as its been an extremely helpful resource in my decision for sobriety. I view it just like I would anything else that I'm focusing on at any given time, i.e. if you're focused on getting in shape, cleaning up your diet, learning a new trade, etc. etc., you focus and educate yourself more (and sometimes even immerse yourself) in it until you've accomplished your goal. On a more humorous note, I'd certainly rather be addicted to a recovery site than alcohol.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

At times I'm addicted to this site, but I concider it "harm reduction". If I'm active on here it gives me the added will power to keep sober. I found if I don't at least check in once every few days, I'm more prone to slip up.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Yes I spent too much time here, but it works. Especially in the first month, I could not have made it without this website. I was and am obsessing with being able to never drink again. SR is a big part of that. Don't feel like you have to stay away from SR to prove something to yourself. For now, make your priority to not drink. I think you will naturally wean yourself from SR as time goes on. One day at a time.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I feel a little addicted to this place!

But even here, where all of the discussion I participate in is about alcoholism and recovery, it is one thing to have fun talking about it and supporting others online, but my time spent here is no good to me if it does not somehow help ME to avoid picking up a drink IN REAL LIFE.

I have had to remind myself of that. Not to get so caught up in the online community itself that I forget to actually apply what I learn here to my REAL-LIFE recovery. Because those are two very different things.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I come here often, not just as a help for me but also to give back the help that was so freely given me when I first started here.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, I too, feel "addicted" to this site, but it is helping me stay strong and sober right now. AA was not really for me, so I especially like sharing stories and getting to know other SR members as they go through the same journey. I am on this site so much my husband finally got curious as to why I was always on my iPad. I told him about this forum and he was just happy I was doing something to help myself get healthy. As ScottfromWI said, as long as it isn't taking time away from getting things done and spending time with family then I'm not worried about it. Sure beats all of time I spent drinking and being hung over....
Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've spent so long drinking alone and stuggling that coming here is like walking into a room full of people that all know my story. This site helps you to view the stuggle as a mass effort that lots of people are undertaking and stops me building the issue into something insurmountable that I have to deal with on my own. Without this site I would never have become familer with Urge Surfing, putting a name to whispers (AV), seeing rationalisation for what it is, recognising triggers like HALT.

More I come here, more I learn, more I can sometimes help others.

Its all good.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I feel the same way, and I am because of my husband's drinking. Scratch that - I am here to work on my codependency recovery. So, I guess I was about to draw some sort of distinction that is probabley incorrect. But I really need to get off this website and back to work!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I spent and spend time here to learn more about my binge drinking phenomenon.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
now's the time

I love it here. Sometimes I'll spend very little time, if I'm busy, but I do try to check in daily. When I have lots of time I spend lots of time here... but I love both reading and giving advice. It helps me empathize with other people and clarify my own thoughts. Having a dialogue with others about alcohol and substance abuse seems to be teaching me empathy for myself.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I come here everyday as I have to do something to keep myself from becoming complacent. Same reason I go to 3 meetings a week. I can't just quit drinking and do nothing. I need something.

The family forum keeps me focused on who I don't want to be, reading newbie posts makes me remember what it was like for me and to not become too arrogant in my recovery and not to be judgemental. It keeps me humble.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recovering

I think people should get us much support as they need. It's so much better to be here, or in AA, than to be drinking. It is so useful to have people around who are at different stages of recovery. I remember finding the kind and encouraging words of Dee especially supportive and reassuring.