Notices

day ONE --- AGAIN!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day ONE --- AGAIN!

Day ONE again! Why do I keep doing this? I have relapsed (one day relapses) like every two or three weeks for months now.

I have learned that i cannot blame others but at the same time i am trying to figure out what my triggers are. Or am i just waiting for someone or something to trigger me so i can justify to myself that i have a reason to drink?

Needless to say, I feel like s*** today!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by PreciousKitty View Post
Or am i just waiting for someone or something to trigger me so i can justify to myself that i have a reason to drink?
I vote for this one. I got the impression you were talking yourself into drinking when you were telling us your daughter was coming home.

You can't leave the door open to drinking...the decision to not drink is just that. You don't drink. And you learn (and this is your struggle) to deal with all the other crap in your life without drinking.

A forum can only do so much. Maybe the issues with your family and those dynamics should be talked out with someone face-to-face.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

That sucks you don't feel well. Hangovers are part of the territory. I definitely do not miss those.

I did not start to feel like I was really changing until I stopped focusing on why this was happening and focused only on how I was going to stay stopped.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have relapsed (one day relapses) like every two or three weeks for months now.
Well - at least you know the pattern. I don't know if you've ever been to an AA meeting but maybe you could try a few when the two to three week pattern rolls around again. Just go in and sit through the meeting without even participating. Lot's of folks do that.

Something to think about.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

PreciousKitty, day ONE --- AGAIN! You are FANTASTIC. Never give up, you can do it. Rootin for ya.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It'll be my day one tomorrow as I drank 2 glasses of wine today at lunch.

I get exactly where you're coming from Kitty, it just isn't worth it. I did nearly a week sober and the threw it all away for 2 glasses - what an idiot.

BUT, the positives, I feel like I've learnt from the slip that moderation just isn't an option for me, although in my head I thought it was. Maybe this is my moment of clarity, my convincer, that I need to (quoting our Dee) "take drink off the table" for good.

All the best friend, we can do this!
Old 03-30-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day ONE again! Why do I keep doing this? I have relapsed (one day relapses) like every two or three weeks for months now.
!
So glad u r back kitty. Ask the folks who have time sober. Look at their profiles, How they are doing it.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Get back up and start over again. Don't let this defeat you.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Why do I keep doing this?
I post this because you have expressed a desire for greater understanding in the past.

Incentive Sensitization Theory

Incentive Sensitization Theory of Addiction

The reason why incentive salience occurs with addiction is because the brain of the individual has become sensitized to the substance. This can be viewed as occurring in four steps:
  • Susceptible individuals can develop hypersensitization if they are repeatedly exposed to addictive substances. This means that in the future the drug will stimulate neurobehavioral systems at a greater intensity than in the past. When this happens the individual will get an increased level of pleasure from their drug use – at least initially.
  • Hypersensitization leads to incentive salience and the symptoms associated with addiction. The individual will now have a strong desire for the drug that goes way beyond liking it.
  • Incentive salience ensures repetition of the behavior.
  • The unconscious forces that drive the addiction become a conscious yearning for the drug.

It can be hard to understand why addicts fail to give up their addiction. They may frequently be remorseful about their behaviors and make plans to stop. Despite their promises though, they may continue to use or relapse after only a short time. It is easy to dismiss these actions as the work of an individual who is willfully set on their own destruction. Incentive sensitization gives another explanation for their behavior.

As people progress through addiction the role of pleasure in their use of drug becomes less important. The individual may no longer even like the substance but they still feel the need to keep on taking it. The unconscious effects of incentive salience are producing this behavior. When this individual makes promises to change they may really mean it. Despite their good intentions they may continuously fail. This is why many addicts will require assistance and treatment if they are to escape their addiction forever.

Incentive Sensitization in Recovery

An understanding of incentive sensitization can be highly valuable to people in recovery. It can let them see that just because a craving to use again appears it doesn’t mean that they are doing something wrong. It may be many years before these cravings disappear completely, but they do diminish over time. Incentive salience is undoubtedly a strong foe but knowledge is the key to defeating it. Getting support during those times when these cravings appear will help the individual avoid a relapse.

Knowledge is power! Get well, my friend! You can do this.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kitty! Okay, you know the routine, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move forward. This and the last relapse were preceded by discussions of discontent in the home environment. Obviously, this is a big trigger for you. Have you considered seeing a therapist who specializes in addiction/recovery? A trained professional may be able to provide you with guidance in dealing with domestic conflict and help you to identify shifts in your mental/emotional psychie that could forewarn you of an upcoming relapse so that you can take necessary measures to prevent it.

Stay here and stay focused, Kitty. I know you can do it!
Old 03-30-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's Day 1 for me - AGAIN - too. Ugh. I was so proud of myself for not drinking all week and then blew it all on a bender yesterday (because I was home from work...) and now I am so mad at myself. And so disappointed that I'm even *thinking* about wine right now that I'm crying. I need to change my life. Thank goodness for you all you out there who support each other (and me) on this amazing website.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ostrich123 View Post
It's Day 1 for me - AGAIN - too. Ugh. I was so proud of myself for not drinking all week and then blew it all on a bender yesterday (because I was home from work...) and now I am so mad at myself. And so disappointed that I'm even *thinking* about wine right now that I'm crying. I need to change my life. Thank goodness for you all you out there who support each other (and me) on this amazing website.
I'm with you Ostrich, I AM the village idiot. But thank goodness for the people on this site who take us back when we've been fools, because they know what we're capable of and where we can get to.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kitty,

There is this saying that I absolutely love; "fall down seven times, stand up eight". I love it because it's not "screw up once, oh well. screw up twice, you're an idiot". It's more realistic. It takes many attempts before most get it right. So no use beating yourself up over multiple attempts.

Did you get a chance to read my response on your thread yesterday???

I just think that sometimes we get ourselves in these cycles . . . of depression, bad eating habits, drinking, unhealthy relationships . . . that feed into each other. And so there is a sense of being overwhelmed. There is a sense of not knowing where to start. And if you decided to start somewhere (like giving up drinking), there are all these other parts that are still causing us stress. And it becomes easy to think, "let me put my resolve NOT to drink on hold, while I attend to this other crisis in my life".

But I'm coming to understand myself, that NOTHING will change, until, at least ONE THING finally changes FOR GOOD.

I'm choosing drinking. I'm not going to drink. No matter what else is going on in my life.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great responses here PK.

I spent a lot of time looking for triggers and reasons and explanations - that effort was really better spent on not drinking.

Whatever problems we have there are ways to solve them without a bottle...it will be longer, it will be harder, it may involve some discomfort...but facing life without resorting to drink forces us to solve problems and actually 'break on through to the other side'...not merely push things to one side like we do when we drink.

I know you can do this PK - believe in yourself

D
Old 03-30-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post

I get exactly where you're coming from Kitty, it just isn't worth it. I did nearly a week sober and the threw it all away for 2 glasses - what an idiot.

BUT, the positives, I feel like I've learnt from the slip that moderation just isn't an option for me, although in my head I thought it was. Maybe this is my moment of clarity, my convincer, that I need to (quoting our Dee) "take drink off the table" for good.

AT least you stopped at TWO. Thank you my friend. Your BEAUTIFUL. Thank you Panache!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I post this because you have expressed a desire for greater understanding in the past.

Incentive Sensitization Theory

Incentive Sensitization Theory of Addiction

The reason why incentive salience occurs with addiction is because the brain of the individual has become sensitized to the substance. This can be viewed as occurring in four steps:
  • Susceptible individuals can develop hypersensitization if they are repeatedly exposed to addictive substances. This means that in the future the drug will stimulate neurobehavioral systems at a greater intensity than in the past. When this happens the individual will get an increased level of pleasure from their drug use – at least initially.
  • Hypersensitization leads to incentive salience and the symptoms associated with addiction. The individual will now have a strong desire for the drug that goes way beyond liking it.
  • Incentive salience ensures repetition of the behavior.
  • The unconscious forces that drive the addiction become a conscious yearning for the drug.

It can be hard to understand why addicts fail to give up their addiction. They may frequently be remorseful about their behaviors and make plans to stop. Despite their promises though, they may continue to use or relapse after only a short time. It is easy to dismiss these actions as the work of an individual who is willfully set on their own destruction. Incentive sensitization gives another explanation for their behavior.

As people progress through addiction the role of pleasure in their use of drug becomes less important. The individual may no longer even like the substance but they still feel the need to keep on taking it. The unconscious effects of incentive salience are producing this behavior. When this individual makes promises to change they may really mean it. Despite their good intentions they may continuously fail. This is why many addicts will require assistance and treatment if they are to escape their addiction forever.

Incentive Sensitization in Recovery

An understanding of incentive sensitization can be highly valuable to people in recovery. It can let them see that just because a craving to use again appears it doesn’t mean that they are doing something wrong. It may be many years before these cravings disappear completely, but they do diminish over time. Incentive salience is undoubtedly a strong foe but knowledge is the key to defeating it. Getting support during those times when these cravings appear will help the individual avoid a relapse.

Knowledge is power! Get well, my friend! You can do this.
You always respond to my posts, and to many others. I really hope you know the difference you make in others lives and what a beautiful soul you are.

Thank you.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nikki

I have learned that i cannot blame others but at the same time i am trying to figure out what my triggers are. Or am i just waiting for someone or something to trigger me so i can justify to myself that i have a reason to drink?

Needless to say, I feel like s*** today!
I totally understand. I'm going through the same exact thing. Why do we do this to ourselves??? Hope you feel better.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You always respond to my posts, and to many others. I really hope you know the difference you make in others lives and what a beautiful soul you are.

Thank you.
I remember we joined SR at right around the same time. Cyber sobriety siblings.

People on this forum gave me the tools I needed to save my own life. I'm just trying to pay it forward.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I'm with you Ostrich, I AM the village idiot.
As long as you keep thinking this way, then you will keep feeling like you are one. Negative thoughts about myself is what keeps me on the pity pot. And the pity pot always gave me an excuse to drink, not a good place for me to be. As hard as it can be it is imperative to change the negative thinking around. Negativity is what got me in this mess to begin with.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Kitty, Penache, little I can say will suppress the unneeded guilt i'd feel in your situation, i've been back to the despair point many a time, I genuinely believe it's part of the process