I think this is quacking, but I'm not sure, it sounds legit

Old 03-21-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think this is quacking, but I'm not sure, it sounds legit

My dad sent me this text a few minutes ago:

"I love you, so please don't be angry with what I have to tell you. Tomorrow mom and I are going into mediation to split up money and assets and everything. I'm going to lose most of the money and my business is failing awfully right now. I will be totally broke within a few months from now. Probably be sleeping in my car. You can't get a job anywhere at my age. Anyway, I have two more checks to send you then I can't send anymore. Also, I will no longer be able to pay your health insurance. You will need to talk to mom, she still has a job and will have lots of money in the bank. I'm really sorry and I know you will probably hate me. But I have no choice. I do love you very much and always will."

My boyfriend and I are in the middle of relocating and are currently living in a hotel (although we move into our new apartment on Saturday). I really don't need this crap right now.

Is this more quacking?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'd vote a big QUACK-firmative on that one.

Really? Living in his CAR? This is b.s. because mediation is only a means of trying to get parties to agree. No agreement, nothing happens. Period. So if he is the kind of guy who is going to shove everything he owns across the table and leave so he can sleep in his car, he would be the first such individual I have ever heard of.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The backstory: my dad is probably a narcissist, he had a long ongoing affair with a 20-year-old, my mom has finally had enough and is divorcing him.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I'd vote a big QUACK-firmative on that one.

Really? Living in his CAR? This is b.s. because mediation is only a means of trying to get parties to agree. No agreement, nothing happens. Period. So if he is the kind of guy who is going to shove everything he owns across the table and leave so he can sleep in his car, he would be the first such individual I have ever heard of.
Thank you. I feel better reading that.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree...QUACKING!! I think he's trying to gain your sympathy, that he wants you to think "poooooor dad" which is what HE is feeling.

He's taking no responsibility for his own part in this, which to me means quacking.

I know you don't really need this right now, but as someone who has BTDT, there are times we just can't depend on our parents. Admittedly, I'm living in my dad's house, have food to eat, but I also just loaned him money to be able to do his job. It's a give and take relationship.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Well, I'm not so sure that all of it is quacking. Overly dramatic, certainly. However, the financial reality of a failing business and loss of part of his savings and retirement in a divorce settlement (your Mom sooooo deserves it sounds like) may be absolutely true. If it were me, the bigger question would be how to adjust my own budget to take care of my own insurance and so on.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I understand that. But I need to move into my apartment first. This week and the one before have been some hell trying to get movers and pay rent for April as well as the prorate rent for this month, for that I had to get a cashier's check because the management company of the apartment complex won't accept anything else, I just want the move to be finished already.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can sure understand that! I do NOT like to move....I hope it all works out well!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What exactly is "quacking"? Playing the victim?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
Well, I'm not so sure that all of it is quacking. Overly dramatic, certainly. However, the financial reality of a failing business and loss of part of his savings and retirement in a divorce settlement (your Mom sooooo deserves it sounds like) may be absolutely true. If it were me, the bigger question would be how to adjust my own budget to take care of my own insurance and so on.
The thing is, that's if there is a SETTLEMENT as a result of the mediation. Why would you settle for losing everything so you could live in your car? Seriously. If that were what was being proposed, wouldn't you go to trial instead? I mean, you wouldn't be any worse off. Legal fees, maybe, but heck, if he lost EVERYTHING he wouldn't have any money to pay anyone.

Sure, it's possible he will take a rough financial hit. But it wouldn't be in anyone's interest to render him destitute.

I'm not buying it.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Erika1968 View Post
What exactly is "quacking"? Playing the victim?
It's basically the b.s. that tends to come out of the mouths of alcoholics. Self-pity, blaming you, talking about how they aren't going to drink any more, or how they now have a handle on it, gaslighting--all that kind of nonsense. Check out these threads: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-quackers.html and http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My .02cents. He is trying to turn you against your mother. This doesn't even justify as quacking.

Become self-sufficient, and he won't be able to hurt you like this.

No divorce does not put someone in the poor-box.

He is trying to complain to your that your mother will get alimony. My ex used that one on my kids also. That if he didn't have to pay me, he would have more money to spend on them. Thing is, at the end of the divorce he still had more incoming money then I did. About $40,000. a year.

Is he going to live in his car? Absolutely not, unless he chooses to. His business is doing bad, he can always go back to court to try to reduce alimony. This is not quacking, this is plain BS. Trying to get your sympathy, and trying to turn you against your mother.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
My .02cents. He is trying to turn you against your mother. This doesn't even justify as quacking.

Become self-sufficient, and he won't be able to hurt you like this.

No divorce does not put someone in the poor-box.

He is trying to complain to your that your mother will get alimony. My ex used that one on my kids also. That if he didn't have to pay me, he would have more money to spend on them. Thing is, at the end of the divorce he still had more incoming money then I did. About $40,000. a year.

Is he going to live in his car? Absolutely not, unless he chooses to. His business is doing bad, he can always go back to court to try to reduce alimony. This is not quacking, this is plain BS. Trying to get your sympathy, and trying to turn you against your mother.
That would explain why he said "don't get angry" and then "talk to mom".
Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, I mean you are their child are you not aware of their financial situation and whether or not what he is saying is truthful? What about his business? Is it really failing?

I disagree with Amy55 - Divorce, in general, is financially devastating.

Its an odd sounding text though - kinda fake or something.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
Well, I mean you are their child are you not aware of their financial situation and whether or not what he is saying is truthful? What about his business? Is it really failing?

I disagree with Amy55 - Divorce, in general, is financially devastating.

Its an odd sounding text though - kinda fake or something.
And I agree, divorce is financially devastating. But I will say this, I moved from a $400,000 house to a $70.000. house. I don't care what my ex is doing. He moved in with his girlfriend who owns a condo. Whether or not he helps with the mortgage or whatever is not my concern.

My concern about the OP here is that the dad is trying to turn the daughter against the mom. BTDT. Still feeling it here.

Maybe feeling triggered here, because I was the mother, that went thru this. So will sign off and try to look at things more logically? tomorrow, but I doubt it.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
I have no idea. I live in a different state. And I have no idea if what my father says is truthful or not.

Oh and "I will be totally broke within a few months from now" I've heard that one before, he's been saying that for like the past two years.

Besides, I didn't react, I just gave him my new address and then it just turned into a "normal" conversation. WTF?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

And he hasn't given me any more details so I can make plans accordingly.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Choublak-

I just want to comment that your dad has brought you down this path before. I don't know if it has been truth before or if it is truth now, but for me their is some familiarity.