Notices

Terrified!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrified!!!

I have come to terms that I have alcohol problem. I drink almost every night at least half of a 70cl bottle of vodka. I made a conscious decision that no more and have poured any drink left down the sink. However today I woke up and I can feel my liver pressing on my rib cage. It doesn't actually hurt just feels weird. I am terrified I am going to die. I am a 31yr old woman and have drunk heavily for about a yr but got worse in the last 6 months progressing to practically every day. I will never touch another drop. I drank through boredom and loneliness as I am a single mum (I know I am thoroughly ashamed of myself) I bought some milk thistle today and now I won't drink anymore will my liver recover and how long? I think I am making my symptoms by being utterly petrified with butterflies in my tummy.

Please help.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know I can stop as I did so for my entire pregnancy in 2010.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

For medical advice, you need to see a doctor. Sometimes enlargement of the liver or other liver problems are reversible, but once the liver has scarred (cirrhosis) the tissue does not regenerate. Early cirrhosis can be arrested by stopping drinking.

You would be well advised to see a doctor, anyway, to prevent potentially serious withdrawal symptoms.

Pouring out the booze is a start. How do you plan to STAY sober? Quitting is the easy part for most people--it's staying stopped that can be the problem.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, and the fact that you were able to stop in 2010 with no problems doesn't mean that it will be the same now, 2-3 years later. When you continue to drink, the addiction typically becomes more severe.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am too scared to go to the doctors. I know it sounds silly but I can't face it.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, nobody here is going to be able to diagnose you.

If you choose not to go to a doctor, I suggest that you call 911 if you experience any scary symptoms. Alcohol withdrawal is more dangerous than heroin withdrawal. The latter can be miserable, but alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. Several people here on the forums have experienced seizures. What if you have one and your baby is at risk?

So what is your plan for staying sober? I found AA to be a great way to learn to live sober.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I understand how scared you feel. I was really damaging my health at the end of my drinking days and it was very scary. The thing is, detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous. It really is a good idea to check with your dr before you begin.

I admire your determination to stop and recover.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

It's scary for all of us, but believe me it's scarier still to run into detox problems on your own, Jo.

Not everyone has problems...but why take that risk?

get checked out
D
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jo, many of us and many people go to detox for exactly this reason. Please don't be afraid of your doctor, that's what they're there for, to help you. Glad you found us and hope you keep posting. There is tons of support here.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's your choice, but you would be so much better talking to your Dr , Most will be really pleased your making this choice and therefore supportive.
Don't get too worked up but sobriety is a great goal and Even better result.
John
Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is scary Jo, but it is most important for you to be safe.

The doctors have seen it all, heard it all. They can help you. I know, I called, they helped me...

We are all here for you too! But we also want you to be safe....first and foremost!

You can do this!!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also scared my parents finding out as the stress will kill them, but if they have to have my daughter for me to detox safely they would have to know. Just thrown up but not sure if they is my nerves.

Thank you
Old 02-10-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Jo,

Many of us felt the same way you do now, we understand. Talking with your doctor, may sound scary, but can also be reassuring.

What a wonderful decision you are making for yourself and your little one
Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I've yet to hear of a parent dying of stress because they have learned a child with an alcohol problem has chosen recovery. They may worry for a bit for you, but if you get serious with a recovery program, their worries will fade and they will be proud of you for taking the necessary steps to be a responsible adult and mom to your child.

Seriously, we build up all these huge "what-ifs" in our minds over people finding out about our "secret." And it's almost never the big deal we have built it into. The important thing is to focus on recovery, and all the other parts of life will gradually fall into place.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think the stress would be less on them if they were helping you in a proactive way instead of a reactive way.

It is scary, but the first step always is...

Call the doctor and get their advice and then you can decide the rest... First step first.

You can do this Jo! I am so glad you are here talking about this!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jo. We're glad you're here.

I do hope you'll see your doctor - my blood pressure spiked dangerously when I stopped on my own. Most likely you will return to good health once you get some sober time behind you. Seeing a doctor will relieve your anxiety.

I think SR will be very helpful for you as you heal. You aren't alone with this, Jo. You'll find a great deal of support and comfort here.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just worried I have done irreversible damagnow I can feel my liver against my ribs.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

please see a doctor
Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The swelling has gone down but I am seeing a doctor today.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So glad to hear that Jo !!!!!