Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

pray for a good Crown Attorney, pray for a good Crown attorney, pray for a good Crown

Notices

pray for a good Crown Attorney, pray for a good Crown attorney, pray for a good Crown

Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AAAAAAAAAAHHHH! Court right now. Second DUI. Maybe jail. No other charges in my life....just these. Sent in a heap of paperwork from medical professionals saying jail wasnt appropriate due to my history of repeated trauma....and other things. I am not trying to dodge consequences to my actions....just want to get better. I know jail will not act as a deterrant for me....it will scare the living s*it outa me and make it harder to stay sober. I am going into an inpatient program in Dec. and I honestly dont think I could put any more support systems into place. Ive been pretty terrified in my life (anxiety disorder and severe PTSD) but holy mother of God I cant believe how freakin' terrified I am right now. If the Crown sends in a slip of paper requesting jail time I will go for sure. If the Crown doesnt I may not. I cant believe I let things get this bad. alfjbliuufbuvlaeb
Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hope things go OK for you. I was in court last week for first offence DUI. Hefty fine, probation, no license for 12 mo., and must take DWI course. Here in Canada, I think 2nd+ offences come with automatic jail time. Hope it's not the same where you are.

While I understand the importance and obligation to pay for our mistakes, and each situation is unique, jail time is not always a good (helpful) sentence ... I would think that a mandatory length of stay at a rehab facility (on our own dime) with extra or ongoing counselling might be better than plain jail.

I don't know much about "the system" ... but am wishing you the best and will be thinking of you. Hope this 2nd DUI is an opportunity/blessing in disguise for you ... please post an update if you can.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Windancer, sorry to hear you are going through this.

Hope, things will turn right for you.

Take care and stay as calm as possible.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am from Canada and usually a second is automatic jail time. I just want to get better. Honestly. I am ashamed of my actions and am more than willing to cooperate with anything the Court may find acceptable to replace jail time. My lawyer said he couldnt have gone in with better paperwork, but he also said a LOT depends on who I happen to get for a Crown Attorney .
Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mulch View Post
Hope things go OK for you. I was in court last week for first offence DUI. Hefty fine, probation, no license for 12 mo., and must take DWI course. Here in Canada, I think 2nd+ offences come with automatic jail time. Hope it's not the same where you are.
It does come with automatic jail time. I took a two year suspension rather than 1 year plus the course and breathalyzer unit. Didn't want to drive anyway.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am fully aware that it usually comes with automatic jail time. However I have known several people who had a second DUI here and did not go to jail.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dont want to drive either. Im glad my car is gone with my license. I do not need accesss to a potential weapon on wheels right now.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Whatever happens, windancer, you will get through it. It won't be the end of the world. Sending out good thoughts for you. Stay strong. You can do this.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Windancer, I'll pray for the best Crown Attorney for you.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
I dont want to drive either. Im glad my car is gone with my license. I do not need accesss to a potential weapon on wheels right now.
With your supporting documentation you might be exempted I didn't have anything like that (though if I had been sober through the process could have).

My story is a bit complex so don't go by mine.

In my case it wasn't so much the crown attorney but the judge. I blew off my lawyer and duty counsel in the end and spoke directly with the judge who was a tad more lenient in the end. She kept cutting down the time to serve as the conversation progressed.

All the best with it.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Windancer, all things come together for good. what seems terrifying may end up being a blessing. it's happened that way for me many times and i am sending you prayers, love and encouragement. keep us posted, we care <3
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

since the laws changed recently the Crown had to submit the paper. she said she wouldnt have with all the documentation if she didnt have too. she also said she wouldnt appose min. sentence or jail on weekends. i suppose i shouldnt be surprised. if i get the wrong judge they could also send me in for 30-90 days and i wont find out till jan. my anticipatory anxiety is through the roof and i have no idea how im going to stay sober and heal after this. i did it to myself i guess. i cant hardly think just pacing and crying and pacing and crying. the fulltime judge in this area almost got disbarred twice for being to harsh with impaired drivers. apparently he had a family member killed by a drunk driver or something. i empathize...i really do..but i think that makes him a little bias. i dont know what im gonna do. this is like my worse nightmare ever coming to reality and it all my fault.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Our fears are always worse than the real thing. Weekend jail won't be that bad and it's not like you'll be in with murderers and rapists. There will be others there for weekend jail just like you. I promise it won't be as bad as you are fearing it will be.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hang in there Wind. I have court Monday. Second DUI and I will be going to jail, losing my nice job of 25 years and losing my house (almost certainly). That is a ton to lose and I am sure you are worried. The one thing that I will not lose is my sobriety!! Our drinking got us into this mess and if WE drink again the mess will be worse. If you like AA try reading the Promises of sobriety. It always makes me feel better. This time will pass. Keep busy and hang in there.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hope not. Part of what makes it hard for me is that ive been super traumatized in institutions before (hospitals and school). The first time I was 12 and there was a lawsuit. So many of my flashbacks and nightmares even now (im 28) involve these institutions. Ironic that trauma strongly contibuted to my alcoholism, and it turn the alcoholism just caused more trauma.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

You will get through this. Also, as you probably already know, a drink or drug are probably one of the few things that can make this worse.

I will pray for you.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good luck FamilyMan. Let me know how you make out. I hope you dont lose your house.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Praying for you Wind!

I have been where you are and I made to the other side! I know the anxiety.

Hoping for a postitive outcome for you!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

it could be worse, although it feels like the is the worst it could be. the crown could have asked for more time and refused to accept the possibility of time on weekends. Anyone been to jail or gone on weekends? i think it would help me out to know what to expect becauce i have no idea.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm sorry it has come to this Wind, but please keep moving forward.
Drinking will NOT make it better, in fact, do you want to detox in jail?
That would def. make the jail time far worse off.

It must be terrifying that you have trauma from institutions, I hope you can do weekend jail so you have time to bounce back after the weekend. Whenever something happens
in my life I try to remember that "everything happens for a reason". I thought poor me when my boyfriend went to jail and I was harassed by the police and treated like scum and practically stalked afterwards, but you know what, we both got sober after that.

You will be in my thoughts,

Maylie