Notices

Vodka and a Target parking lot...

Old 11-17-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vodka and a Target parking lot...

Today I was out shopping. Had $10 in my wallet and went to the liquor store. Bought a small bottle of vodka and went to target to find my neice a birthday present. *Just driving with that small bottle gave me anxiety. I knew deep down what was coming tonight if I drank it. *Anxiety, anxiety, anxiety! *And a sick stomach. *And probably a sick stomach tomorrow. *I carried it around in my purse through Target and pondered how I would feel if I just threw it away outside. *Didn't even open it, didn't even bring it home to tempt me...and I did it. *Gone. A brand new bottle of unopened vodka is sitting in the target garbage can and I drove home. *It sounds so pathetic, but for a split second I almost drove back and fished it out! *How sad would that have been? *Now I feel wonderful. *I weight has been lifted from my shoulders not even having that crap in my house. *I can work on my school project, my husband and I are going to walk up the canyon and then find a movie. *And I will do all of this without alcohol in my system. *I'm happy, but sad...I know at 6:00 I will want that drink. Giving this up has been a thousand times harder than I ever imagined, and I'm sure I'm not out of the woods. *But for today, I did the right thing and I can face tomorrow with no regrets.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on doing the right thing!
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome! Good for you! (:
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you dumped it Sunnybird

D
Old 11-17-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm really glad you dumped it Sunnybird

D
Me too
Old 11-17-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is hard. I used to stop at the local store before I went to work. Now the thought just makes me ill. Good for you.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is so hard. I can't wait for the day when I get in my car and don't even consider going to the liquor store.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunnybird03 View Post
It is so hard. I can't wait for the day when I get in my car and don't even consider going to the liquor store.
You will sunnybird, keep it up. I bought a new (to me) car in may 2011 & I am so proud to know I have never been drunk in it, never wrecked it, never fished empties out from under the seat. And it smells like doggies, not yuck.

You did good
Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

and that day does come, thankfully for all of us. Great stuff in doing the right thing. Brilliant!
Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi sunnybird - yes, that day does come. Take it from someone who drank her whole life and never made a move without it in the end! I have no idea why I felt I had to have it in my system to cope with life. It doesn't do a thing but steal our spirit. You did great - you got over that hurdle. It gets easier, promise.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Sunny, you may not think so right now but that is HUGE. Give yourself a TON of credit for doing that. I've wanted to do that myself on a lot of occasion but if I have alcohol available to me I'll drink it. I'm not strong enough to be around it, to hold it or just have it staring right at me.

You should be proud of yourself.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you sunny! I look forward to the day when I can stop thinking about drinking!
Old 11-17-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Today was a good day, I am happy with my choices today and that hasn't happened in a really long time.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Great job. I love the part about welcoming tomorrow with no regrets. Oh how many times I have woken up in regret, knowin that the anxiety and shame could have been avoided had I not so badly wanted the instant gratification of the night before.

I actually used to say, "wow, my future self is gonna hate me for doing this."

Once again, great thinking. That is huge progress.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome Job
Old 11-17-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That is really excellent to read Sunny.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great job, Sunny!!

The cravings will come and go but you're gaining ground every time you don't act on one. I remember the first full day I stayed sober - it was the longest day ever, but I stayed on this forum and just kept going an hour or a minute at a time.

It won't always be this hard, promise!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Today I was out shopping. Had $10 in my wallet and went to the liquor store. Bought a small bottle of vodka and went to target to find my neice a birthday present. *Just driving with that small bottle gave me anxiety. I knew deep down what was coming tonight if I drank it. *Anxiety, anxiety, anxiety! *And a sick stomach. *And probably a sick stomach tomorrow. *I carried it around in my purse through Target and pondered how I would feel if I just threw it away outside. *Didn't even open it, didn't even bring it home to tempt me...and I did it. *Gone. A brand new bottle of unopened vodka is sitting in the target garbage can and I drove home. *It sounds so pathetic, but for a split second I almost drove back and fished it out! *How sad would that have been? *Now I feel wonderful. *I weight has been lifted from my shoulders not even having that crap in my house. *I can work on my school project, my husband and I are going to walk up the canyon and then find a movie. *And I will do all of this without alcohol in my system. *I'm happy, but sad...I know at 6:00 I will want that drink. Giving this up has been a thousand times harder than I ever imagined, and I'm sure I'm not out of the woods. *But for today, I did the right thing and I can face tomorrow with no regrets.
That was amazing. I'm not sure I could have thrown it away.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

happy for you sunny.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good girl Sunny!
Enjoy your canyon walk and movie with your husband