SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Vodka and a Target parking lot... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/274698-vodka-target-parking-lot.html)

Sunnybird03 11-17-2012 02:01 PM

Vodka and a Target parking lot...

Today I was out shopping. Had $10 in my wallet and went to the liquor store. Bought a small bottle of vodka and went to target to find my neice a birthday present. *Just driving with that small bottle gave me anxiety. I knew deep down what was coming tonight if I drank it. *Anxiety, anxiety, anxiety! *And a sick stomach. *And probably a sick stomach tomorrow. *I carried it around in my purse through Target and pondered how I would feel if I just threw it away outside. *Didn't even open it, didn't even bring it home to tempt me...and I did it. *Gone. A brand new bottle of unopened vodka is sitting in the target garbage can and I drove home. *It sounds so pathetic, but for a split second I almost drove back and fished it out! *How sad would that have been? *Now I feel wonderful. *I weight has been lifted from my shoulders not even having that crap in my house. *I can work on my school project, my husband and I are going to walk up the canyon and then find a movie. *And I will do all of this without alcohol in my system. *I'm happy, but sad...I know at 6:00 I will want that drink. Giving this up has been a thousand times harder than I ever imagined, and I'm sure I'm not out of the woods. *But for today, I did the right thing and I can face tomorrow with no regrets.

Maylie 11-17-2012 02:04 PM

Congrats on doing the right thing! :)

jakec 11-17-2012 02:04 PM

Awesome! Good for you! (:

Dee74 11-17-2012 02:04 PM

I'm really glad you dumped it Sunnybird :)

D

Sunnybird03 11-17-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3675460)
I'm really glad you dumped it Sunnybird :)

D

Me too :c031:

MycoolFitz 11-17-2012 02:10 PM

It is hard. I used to stop at the local store before I went to work. Now the thought just makes me ill. Good for you.

Sunnybird03 11-17-2012 02:24 PM

It is so hard. I can't wait for the day when I get in my car and don't even consider going to the liquor store.

MsJax 11-17-2012 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnybird03 (Post 3675489)
It is so hard. I can't wait for the day when I get in my car and don't even consider going to the liquor store.

You will sunnybird, keep it up. I bought a new (to me) car in may 2011 & I am so proud to know I have never been drunk in it, never wrecked it, never fished empties out from under the seat. And it smells like doggies, not yuck.

You did good :)

Caledonia1 11-17-2012 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnybird03 (Post 3675489)

and that day does come, thankfully for all of us. Great stuff in doing the right thing. Brilliant!

Hevyn 11-17-2012 02:33 PM

Hi sunnybird - yes, that day does come. Take it from someone who drank her whole life and never made a move without it in the end! I have no idea why I felt I had to have it in my system to cope with life. It doesn't do a thing but steal our spirit. You did great - you got over that hurdle. It gets easier, promise. :)

JJay 11-17-2012 02:34 PM

Sunny, you may not think so right now but that is HUGE. Give yourself a TON of credit for doing that. I've wanted to do that myself on a lot of occasion but if I have alcohol available to me I'll drink it. I'm not strong enough to be around it, to hold it or just have it staring right at me.

You should be proud of yourself.

lilgolden73 11-17-2012 02:35 PM

Good for you sunny! I look forward to the day when I can stop thinking about drinking!

Sunnybird03 11-17-2012 02:43 PM

Thanks everyone! Today was a good day, I am happy with my choices today and that hasn't happened in a really long time.

Fernaceman 11-17-2012 03:09 PM

Great job. I love the part about welcoming tomorrow with no regrets. Oh how many times I have woken up in regret, knowin that the anxiety and shame could have been avoided had I not so badly wanted the instant gratification of the night before.

I actually used to say, "wow, my future self is gonna hate me for doing this."

Once again, great thinking. That is huge progress.

IndaMiricale 11-17-2012 03:29 PM

Awesome Job :c011:

zanzibar 11-17-2012 03:41 PM

That is really excellent to read Sunny.

artsoul 11-17-2012 04:07 PM

Great job, Sunny!! :c011:

The cravings will come and go but you're gaining ground every time you don't act on one. I remember the first full day I stayed sober - it was the longest day ever, but I stayed on this forum and just kept going an hour or a minute at a time.

It won't always be this hard, promise!

dogmamma 11-17-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnybird03 (Post 3675451)
Today I was out shopping. Had $10 in my wallet and went to the liquor store. Bought a small bottle of vodka and went to target to find my neice a birthday present. *Just driving with that small bottle gave me anxiety. I knew deep down what was coming tonight if I drank it. *Anxiety, anxiety, anxiety! *And a sick stomach. *And probably a sick stomach tomorrow. *I carried it around in my purse through Target and pondered how I would feel if I just threw it away outside. *Didn't even open it, didn't even bring it home to tempt me...and I did it. *Gone. A brand new bottle of unopened vodka is sitting in the target garbage can and I drove home. *It sounds so pathetic, but for a split second I almost drove back and fished it out! *How sad would that have been? *Now I feel wonderful. *I weight has been lifted from my shoulders not even having that crap in my house. *I can work on my school project, my husband and I are going to walk up the canyon and then find a movie. *And I will do all of this without alcohol in my system. *I'm happy, but sad...I know at 6:00 I will want that drink. Giving this up has been a thousand times harder than I ever imagined, and I'm sure I'm not out of the woods. *But for today, I did the right thing and I can face tomorrow with no regrets.

That was amazing. I'm not sure I could have thrown it away.

thislonelygirl 11-17-2012 04:54 PM

happy for you sunny.

Pondlady 11-17-2012 05:12 PM

Good girl Sunny!
Enjoy your canyon walk and movie with your husband:)