Notices

Returning to normal

Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Returning to normal

Hello, I would like to hear different people's experiences about the following:
After you went through withdrawal, how long did it take for your body to feel normal again?

I have posted a bunch of questions in the past couple days. I have a morphine dependency from legitimate use; no cravings, but I can only stop taking it for 3-4 days before I feel so sick I have to take it again.

So I'm not worried about fighting a desire to take the meds, but more about feeling a lack of energy for months on end.

For anyone--when you were through detoxing, how long was it before you felt healthy and energetic and normal?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One month. Like you I was taking the drug by prescription for pain, not to get high. The first 5 days of withdrawal are the worst, but it takes another 3 weeks before sleep comes normally and you feel any real energy. What helps is eating healthy, getting some DIRECT sunshine on your skin for at least 45 minutes a day, and some exercise. The good news is you WILL feel better w/o opiates again.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you

Did you have any kind of help detoxing? If you no longer take the meds and you were not an addict, why are you in the recovery community? I am here because it's the only place I've found where I can find answers and information. (I found a bunch of sites with druggies discussing their different highs!)
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am here for the same reason you were, I wanted to know HOW LONG the withdrawal and subsequent sleep problems were likely to last. There are many people still here who were using opiates due to pain management, and they stayed because they know what its like to want to find answers from real people who have been thru it. I was so naive, I thought you only became drug dependent if you used more than prescribed and/or the drug gave you a high...

I went c/t because my prescription ran out, and was SHOCKED I was in withdrawal... then I was PISSED and getting more or wanting more never crossed my mind, I just wanted it to be OVER!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

more

What is c/t? I didn't take any morphine last night or this morning and today around noon I was in so much pain I could hardly stand it. Now I'm wondering if that was real pain or just the kind of pain people get from withdrawal. This is such a drag.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cold Turkey. The thing about your brain is that it will trick you into feeling pain in order for you to feed it more opiates. It also will make whatever you find the hardest about w/d seem the most extreme. For me I am ADHD and I HATE HATE HATE that super nervous energy agitated feeling, and that is exactly what was worst for me the first 4 days. Forget Restless Leg Syndrome I had RESTLESS BODY! Especially when I was so so tired, but could no way fall asleep.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's all an ugly trick, and your body is so dependent on the drugs and not used to healing the pain itself, so it will make you think you really need them. I went cold turkey, had too, I couldn't be successful any other way tried for years. I was sick as a dog, literally for about a month. The pain at times was so bad that I really was convinced I would forever have to use pain meds. WRONG. After 8 months my back does NOT EVEN HURT. And this is mind boggling for me, since I could walk into any doctor at any time and show them my MRI, and they would recommend surgery right away.

You can do this. Quit, give yourself a few months, I know time will stop, sickness will be unbearable, but if you not longer want to be a slave to meds this is a must!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My biggest problem is my blood sugar. I have Type 1 diabetes, and every time I stop (I''ve done it about 5 or 6 times) my blood sugar goes up so high it could literally kill me. I don't know how to get through it if it lasts months and months. I'm afraid I can't do it. How did you function? Did you have a job? Did you have someone to help you during the day or night?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You need support, you need to consult your doctor. You can't use your diabetes as your clutch, instead consult a doctor and make sure that your okay. I don't know how drug abuse and diabetes are related, I just know it sounds like you are getting closer to quitting, just not ready to take that leap.

yes, I have a job. I am a teacher. Last year when I quit I was teaching kindergarten. I have a family, it was complete hell. I never ever want to go through that time again. I was laying in bed, sick, didn't want to see the sun, could hear my daughter out playing while her mom was in bed sick due to her own abuse. It was awful. Now I am 8 months clean, feel better than ever. It is a challenge, but you have to want it bad enough. The addict in us will make every excuse to hold onto the drugs, its amazing how drugs get a hold of us and make us into people we would despise if we knew on the outside.

You can DO THIS I HAVE ALL FAITH. Do not do it alone though!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jet, I am guessing the blood sugar spikes would only be during the first week, similar to spikes you might have when you get the flu and your system is all out of whack. I would suggest you see about detoxing in a clinic for the first week or until your blood sugar can be stabilized. You will still have a few more weeks of no energy and generally feeling like crap, and you will have to check your blood sugar more regularly and be diligent about watching your diet. The thing is the diabetes is already compromising your kidneys, an opiate abuse just adds even more wear and tear
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icandoit12 View Post
I don't know how drug abuse and diabetes are related,
I resent the term "drug abuse". I have always taken my medications as directed have not raised the dose in 3 years and have reduced my dose to less than half of where I started without my doctor telling me to do that. I am not a drug abuser.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Okay you are right, you are not a drug abuser, but unfortunately long term opiate use does negatively impact your kidneys, and as I am sure you know your diabetes makes your kidneys especially vulnerable. If you can kick the morphine you will be much better off.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Originally Posted by JetJensen View Post
I resent the term "drug abuse". I have always taken my medications as directed have not raised the dose in 3 years and have reduced my dose to less than half of where I started without my doctor telling me to do that. I am not a drug abuser.
Fair enough, although perhaps you can understand any potential confusion as this is a forum dedicated to recovery from substance abuse. Physical dependence or even hard recreational use are a truly different deal from addiction. If you are dealing with straight medication issues, I would think your doctor should be able to answer all of your questions related to the drugs he/she prescribed for you? If they can't do that, perhaps you would want a doctor that is better qualified to handle your medical care? As for your question, it could depend on a variety of factors including how long you've been on it, how much you've been taking, your age, any potential complications, etc. Acute withdrawal can vary, and then Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome could also be a possibility. However, addicts do not just start feeling normal because they stop using substances. We have to deal with addiction once we're clean. In any case, lots of love to you on your journey and sincere best wishes in your healing.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

To KnowHope

Thank you! I was seeking answers here because my doctor just tells me to keep taking it; I don't think he knows too much about it. So I guess I should look for a pain management clinic. What is Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome? I really thought because I did not take the meds to get high I wouldn't have any trouble stopping them. Also because I had no problems reducing my dose I thought it would be easy to stop completely. But I didn't take the morphine on Monday or yesterday and both days I had quite a bit of pain in my legs. No withdrawal symptoms though. It's all very confusing and I appreciate your response.