Notices

Back to day one and devastated

Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to day one and devastated

My best friend died on Monday and I drank....and I haven't stopped. I hate myself as he was so proud of me for getting sober, and now I have ruined that memory. The irony-he was killed by a drunk driver. Why can I not be free of this evil? I want God to either help me or take me. Don't know what to do or who to turn to.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your loss BEB.
There's simply no sense in young people dying, especially that way.

Drinking solves nothing tho - it keeps us mired in our grief...if you're not careful you can get comfortable there and wallow in it.

Reach out for help - here and elsewhere...wherever and whenever you can find it.

don't let yourself go under.
D
Old 10-25-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just don't believe I can fight this. I have been trying for a year. I love being sober...but there is so much pain in me I just can't cope with living sober. I go to AA but I am so ashamed that despite all their kindness I keep relapsing. I feel so desperate
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why don't you work the steps?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am very sorry for your loss. He would not want you to continue to drink though, so stop now!

Reach out for help: here on SR, therapy, AA, Smart Recovery, AVRT.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No I attend AA and it has helped, but I can't go back again and admit defeat
Old 10-25-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try not to be too hard on yourself, you did not ruin it, you can still do it! I think it's good you are on here. You are going through such a hard time right now, I'm so sorry!!! I get mad at myself about drinking too. My dad is an alcoholic, but has been sober 30 years after a bad car accident he was in. I feel disappointed in myself for drinking after I have seen what he has gone through with it. Hang in there, thinking of you!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You will feel so much better if you go pick up a white chip. You are starting fresh and being honest.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love being sober...but there is so much pain in me I just can't cope with living sober.
I had a lot of pain too..I wondered if some people couldn't be sober because their skin was so tissue thin, like mine...

I had to work out my pain and baggage bit by bit...like peeling back an onion...some of the work I did myself, some of it I had help with (counsellors, friends, SR)...it took a long time, and took a lot of courage and support - but it was incredibly worth it.

I found I was most scared of fear itself.

When I forced myself to face things - when I deliberately did not pick the numbness option - yeah I was sad, yes it hurt - but it didn't destroy me like I was sure it would.

I found I was a lot stronger and more capable than I'd been giving myself credit for for 20 years.

You might find the same BEB?

It's not about admitting defeat, it's about getting help...it's about making sure you beat this.

It's not about losing, it's the exact opposite

Everybody who's ever been a drinker like us understands relapse, BEB
Reach out

D
Old 10-25-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueEyedBoy View Post
You can't think like that....The only way you will be letting them down is by not going back. I have a simple question for you....Have you had a sponsor and started working the steps yet?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have had therapy, rehab (not for alcoholism but for anorexia), I have a loving family....yet despite all this I constantly fail. There is obviously something fundamentally wrong in me. I guess the only thing I can do is try again. Throw myself into AA. I don't know how many more relapses I have in me
Old 10-25-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

If there's something fundamentally wrong with you, then there's the same something askew in all of us BEB - you're in good company

D
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
HI, BlueEyedBoy.

I am sorry for your loss. Your pain is unbearable now, but it will ease some day (I know this, I've lost my parents and almost all my relatives). And you still have you life to live, and it's worth living.

And there is nothing wrong in admitting defeat. If you can admit that you've made a mistake, it makes you a strong person. He is lifeless who is faultless.

Take care.
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
You can't think like that....The only way you will be letting them down is by not going back. I have a simple question for you....Have you had a sponsor and started working the steps yet?
I had a sponsor but he ended up hitting on me, so it ruined things. I want to work the steps as I am all too aware Step 1 typifies me.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Here is a suggestion....You can take it or leave it. I would go to my meeting...When they ask for announcements before the meeting....I would say I am taking my white chip...And I am asking if someone here can take me through the steps as laid out in the Big Book. I think you might see some positive results from doing something like that. Just say if anyone is interested...See me after the meeting.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Find a same sex sponsor that won't hit on you...
Old 10-25-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

That causes people to stay away. I have felt that way before when I relapsed. I felt guilty and ashamed but when I went back everyone welcomed me with open arms. I know you must be feeling a lot of grief and sadness but drinking won't make things better. It will only make things worse. I'm sorry for your loss. Please reach out for some help in AA or wherever.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had a sponsor but he ended up hitting on me, so it ruined things. I want to work the steps as I am all too aware Step 1 typifies me.
You don't seem to have a problem with a Higher Power either....Just remember faith without works is dead.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My sponsor was the same sex as me....I think I need a heterosexual woman. I have no problem with God...and you are right I need to put my faith in Him and work at it. It can be a new day
Old 10-25-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If he was proud of you for getting sober, he would also be proud of you if you get back on that horse and try again.