Notices

New here, has anyone had intense delays getting into subs doc?

Old 10-06-2012, 01:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Night owl

Unhappy New here, has anyone had intense delays getting into subs doc?

Hi, I'm new here, finally able to register after trying and failing numerous times. Not very tech savvy. Anyway, I'm glad to finally be here!

I've been on opiates for about 14 years. Not sure when I slipped over into addiction but it's been intensifying the past few years. 2010 was very bad, too many deaths and losses and intense pain. Currently I have fibro, shoulder probs and migraines. I snort and slam, oxy is my doc, somehow I've got up to 450 (or more) mgs a day. I still don't understand how that can be possible as my friend who weighs twice as much as me can't handle 5mgs!

Anyway, I've finally gotten to the place where it's time to quit and have decided after lots of reading and thinking and talking to my primary doctor that suboxone is the way I want to go.

My problem, and question, is the insane (to me) amount of time it's taking me to get in to see a suboxone doc. There are only three in the 100 mile radius of where I live. One is out until November, and was put on probation for diverting drugs to himself. He's supposedly clean but on probation in October and then again in December.

The nearest guy feels like he belongs to some secret society that is nigh unto impossible to get into. You have to know the secret handshake, what day to call, wear the right ceremonial headdress and I don't know what. It took 8 weeks to finally find out he will see me to discuss the possibility of seeing me and that there are two people ahead of me. This is after me jumping through hoops like getting into counseling, etc.

My question for folks is, did you all also find it this slow and difficult to just get to the point where the doc might talk to you? I still don't know if they'll accept me as a patient or rx subs.

It just feels crazy to me to have them put me off, be so secretive (well the one guy) and make it so difficult and depressing. Why not jump in with me while I am enthusiastic instead of putting me off and keeping me on my doc and risking losing me, me OD'ing, me getting depressed and just giving up, etc? Has anyone else run into this? Know why the delay, stalling, putting me off?

And, has anyone worked with a subs prescriber who is an addict him/herself?

Thanks for any thoughts, answers, ideas anyone may have...

Peace.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post
Hi, I'm new here, finally able to register after trying and failing numerous times. Not very tech savvy. Anyway, I'm glad to finally be here!

I've been on opiates for about 14 years. Not sure when I slipped over into addiction but it's been intensifying the past few years. 2010 was very bad, too many deaths and losses and intense pain. Currently I have fibro, shoulder probs and migraines. I snort and slam, oxy is my doc, somehow I've got up to 450 (or more) mgs a day. I still don't understand how that can be possible as my friend who weighs twice as much as me can't handle 5mgs!

Anyway, I've finally gotten to the place where it's time to quit and have decided after lots of reading and thinking and talking to my primary doctor that suboxone is the way I want to go.

My problem, and question, is the insane (to me) amount of time it's taking me to get in to see a suboxone doc. There are only three in the 100 mile radius of where I live. One is out until November, and was put on probation for diverting drugs to himself. He's supposedly clean but on probation in October and then again in December.

The nearest guy feels like he belongs to some secret society that is nigh unto impossible to get into. You have to know the secret handshake, what day to call, wear the right ceremonial headdress and I don't know what. It took 8 weeks to finally find out he will see me to discuss the possibility of seeing me and that there are two people ahead of me. This is after me jumping through hoops like getting into counseling, etc.

My question for folks is, did you all also find it this slow and difficult to just get to the point where the doc might talk to you? I still don't know if they'll accept me as a patient or rx subs.

It just feels crazy to me to have them put me off, be so secretive (well the one guy) and make it so difficult and depressing. Why not jump in with me while I am enthusiastic instead of putting me off and keeping me on my doc and risking losing me, me OD'ing, me getting depressed and just giving up, etc? Has anyone else run into this? Know why the delay, stalling, putting me off?

And, has anyone worked with a subs prescriber who is an addict him/herself?

Thanks for any thoughts, answers, ideas anyone may have...

Peace.
I have no idea what I am doing. Hopefully this gets to you. I have been on suboxone for about 4 months. I actually was going to just try a new drug, but ended up in recovery, if you can believe that. No meetings or counseling, but for the first time in years I am not taking opiates to get high. Nor do I want to. Much to my surprise, suboxone is no longer making me high...and I am okay with that! No more chasing pills just to be happy. I couldn't get high right now if I wanted to because of the Naloxone. I would have to wait till tomorrow. I hope tomorrow never comes. Unfortunately, I started using a doctor in New York who is "cash only." Now I'm in Florida and cant find a new doctor. I'm scared I will run out and go back to chasing pills. Does anyone know how to find a sub doctor who isnt expensive or will make me jump through hoops? I'm scared...I dont want to go back to using
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Night owl

Looks like we're sort of in the same boat. You can't find a doc and the ones I find are stalling beyond belief.

Check the stickies section at the heading of this Suboxone section. I think they have links to sites that list different Subs docs. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

Hey guys... in most states (not sure if its federal or state law), suboxone doctors can only see a certain number of patients, and most are typically full and have a long waiting list. Some do not. Just like people, doctors come in all kinds and flavors. Some take their job seriously, some are in it for the money only. I was in a suboxone program for 4 years and I know my doctor would make new patients jump through hoops in an attempt to weed out the people who weren't, in his words, really serious about recovery. He figured if you were willing to meet all his requirements to get in (start going to a support group, wait a couple weeks, etc.) then you were someone who was serious about getting help.

I know this probably isn't entirely helpful, but to answer the OP question, it is not uncommon to have trouble getting into a sub clinic.

I had to wait about 2-3 weeks to be seen after I first contacted them, and was required to bring proof I had been to a few meetings and come in a few days before I started my medication, etc. It seemed like an eternity but worked out ok in the long run. I am now almost 3 months sober off the suboxone, after 4 years on subs and 10 years on oxy before that.

Hope this gives you some perspective at least if nothing else. Best wishes in your recovery!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Night owl

THanks dragonfire, I appreciate your reply.

I guess I can understand the weeding out process, I'm just so frustrated because it seems like they couldn't give a fig and are really withholding explicit info. on how long it will take, etc. ANd when I found there was a different doc, he turns out to be an addict and I'm not sure whether he'd be appropriate or not.

It's been three months since I first contacted the first subs doctor's office and I have jumped through all the hoops. I am willing to do what they ask, but I'm struggling with losing hope, patience and motivation. I'm still using oxy while waiting to get on subs, so that's not really helping either in the desire to quit department. My pcp has me on fentanyl patches instead now, so that's closer to subs--no up and down highs like with oxy.

I've been reading your posts about your subs journey, they've given me lots of insights. I'd really like to ask you, too, what was your transition from oxy to subs like? I know we're all different but I'm wanting to get more of a sense of what the crossover is like? Are there lots of withdrawals? Mood swings? Smooth or more difficult adjustment?

Anything you'd care to share would be greatly appreciated. I've been taking opiates almost 15 years so I really feel subs is appropriate to help my body adjust to such a big change. Therefore I'm really interested in others' experiences.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I live in Michigan.. you can get into a doctor, and get a prescription the same day for subs.. They are just as evil as anything else though. Good luck
Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post
THanks dragonfire, I appreciate your reply.
I've been reading your posts about your subs journey, they've given me lots of insights. I'd really like to ask you, too, what was your transition from oxy to subs like? I know we're all different but I'm wanting to get more of a sense of what the crossover is like? Are there lots of withdrawals? Mood swings? Smooth or more difficult adjustment?
For me the transition from oxy to suboxone seemed like a godsend... the highs and lows were replaced with a stable "fix" that lasted all the time. I loved it, a little too much. But it gave me time to distance myself from the drug scene and eventually really start working on my recovery. I'm sure everyone's experience may vary, but for me it was an easy and smooth transition. Just be aware that you still have to kick the suboxone at some point, there is no avoiding that unless you want maintenance all your days. But for me, it was a useful tool to get my crap together so that I was successful when I did finally kick for good (albeit it did take me 3 or 4 tries before I was successful). Hope that helps, best wishes!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by dragonfire613 View Post
For me the transition from oxy to suboxone seemed like a godsend... the highs and lows were replaced with a stable "fix" that lasted all the time. I loved it, a little too much. But it gave me time to distance myself from the drug scene and eventually really start working on my recovery. I'm sure everyone's experience may vary, but for me it was an easy and smooth transition. Just be aware that you still have to kick the suboxone at some point, there is no avoiding that unless you want maintenance all your days. But for me, it was a useful tool to get my crap together so that I was successful when I did finally kick for good (albeit it did take me 3 or 4 tries before I was successful). Hope that helps, best wishes!
That definitely helps, dragonfire. That's sort of what I'm hoping for, too. I've been on daily opiates so long, I just feel that maybe subs will give my brain a chance to start making its own endorphins again as the dose goes slowly down. And give me time to change my thinking too. Since I have NO ability to stop right now, this makes it seem like a better choice than ct--cuz I'll go right back.

The doc I've been waiting for way too long to get into is definitely on the very short term plan which is probably for the best too. If a little scary.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by Ranchez View Post
I live in Michigan.. you can get into a doctor, and get a prescription the same day for subs.. They are just as evil as anything else though. Good luck
Even tho I envy that quickness, as I've been waiting almost three months now, I can see where that would be really bad. Definitely just substituting one for the other. I've had to start counseling before this doc would even consider seeing me. Just wish it wasn't so blasted long! I'm ready already!