Notices

how long can i last?

Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how long can i last?

hey there, this is me into my second week without a drink and although im not thinking about a drink just now , sat night is upon me and the urges will start again later. i feel if i can come on here and let off some steam and talk about it , it actually gives me another reason to try not to drink. im trying to take it one weekend at a time, however i have a good friends wedding at the end of the month, all my friends and family will be there. i know i will have a drink, how do i control what i drink and not be greedy and have too much too soon and only remember the first couple of hours?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

FACT. If you are an alcoholic I would not even think about drinking at the wedding. Face up to this reality right now.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Troy

yeah if you're a drinker like me there is no way to learn control.
If there was, there'd be no need for sites like this or organisations like AA.

I'm sure you've tried before.
You either have the control or you don't I'm afraid.

I couldn't take a 'night off' and drink...last time I did that I spent the next two years drinking all day everyday (no exaggeration).

The only way I can control my drinking is not to drink alcohol at all Troy.

i know i will have a drink
why?

D
Old 09-08-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Troy747 View Post
i have a good friends wedding at the end of the month, all my friends and family will be there. i know i will have a drink, how do i control what i drink and not be greedy and have too much too soon and only remember the first couple of hours?
If you know you are going to drink...Than you will. If you could control what you drink....You wouldn't be here. For myself....I wouldn't go to that wedding in my first month sober....That's how bad I wanted this crap out of my life.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Troy

How badly do you want alcohol out of your life? Therein lies your answer. For me I was willing to do ANYTHING not to drink. If I had kept drinking....I would have eventually had nothing.

I'm 18 months sober and my tag line at the bottom will always hold true..."whatever you put ahead of recovery, you WILL lose".

Make a plan...we all need support.

Good to have you with us.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What is your plan regarding drinking Troy? Are you trying to quit completely or just moderate?

I think that even weekend binge drinkers accept their alcoholism and quit drinking completely so I don't think that has to be off the cards for you, even if you don't drink every day. I have to say, your question of how to control what you drink made me smile a little because I don't think anyone here knows how to do that
Old 09-08-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I pick D All the above
Old 09-08-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't go to the wedding either.

It's not possible for alcoholics to control their drinking.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Don't drink. Please, don't do it.

Some of us just can't drink. We break out in insanity.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Troy. Congratulations on your sober time - that's something to be proud of.

I tried for many years to control what I drank. I wanted so much to be a social drinker and not give it up entirely. All my plans to have just one or two failed. Once that first drink hits our system, anything can happen. We can't trust ourselves at that point. I hope you won't risk it by having "a" drink. You can have a great time staying sober. You'll remember the day, and have no regrets. The next morning you be clearheaded and very proud of yourself.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I doubt anyone here will answer your question the way you want it answered, Troy, and there's a very good reason for that. We have attempted the same countless times and inevitably been unsuccessful.

A week after I decided to be sober I went on holiday with a large group of friends who drank quite a bit. It was hard, but I was determined to not drink, so I didn't. It can be done. I do however agree with what others have said, too - if you are unable to go to the wedding and be sober, and sobriety is what you want, is it really worth it?

I guess it just depends what your priorities are.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Troy, I have the same dilemma, except I havent even been sober a week yet & my BF's sister is getting married at the end of this month, the reception is at German type beer garden!! Beer is my poison. I used to look forward to this day with great anticipation, Now I am dreading it! I already know if I go down there & drink a drop, I will not stop. I will make a complete ass out of myself & ruin her big day! (I do tend to speak my mind a bit more freely after a few) I was around an old friend today who was drinking & I didnt even want one.. But being in a strange situation around a bunch of ppl I dont know, all of them drinking will be to much for me right now.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

sounds like you are wearing your bad idea jeans to the wedding.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

"how do i control what i drink and not be greedy and have too much too soon and only remember the first couple of hours?"

If you have to ask that Q then don't drink, unless you want to act the fool in front of everyone. It's up to you.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

In my drinking career and after making a fool out of myself enough times, I learned to drink and control it in public, but when I got home it was another story.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I was "cutting down" I went to a political fundraiser and decided to "have just one". One turned into at least 7 or 8 vodka drinks. I made an absolute ass out of myself. I allegedly yelled at some people. I also didn't recognize someone I had known for a decade. My parents saw how I was acting and dragged me out, after I called them "******* assholes" loudly enough for most of the place to hear me. I wouldn't try the "one drink" trick.... it's not for people like us.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

If you have to control something then it's clearly out of control. If you are an alcoholic of my type there is no such thing as a few. I have tried to have a few before and woken up in a police cell and in all sorts of problems.

You are asking the wrong question to the wrong people, what you should ask yourself is why am I asking advice on how to control my drinking.? Do you thing a moderate drinker
would post that on here??