Notices

Starting tomorrow...

Old 08-28-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting tomorrow...

Ok. So I have been lurking here for quite some time, reading success stories, failures, and success again. So tomorrow starts the first day of my taper. I have been on and off narcotics for pain from intersitual cystitis for 5 years... Usually more on than off. Of course, as my tolerance grew, so did my script. I started taking more than what is was prescribed...I'm sure you all know the story, we've all heard/ been through it. I am a person you'd never suspect as an addict, four beautiful children, wonderful husband, a great job...i function with no indication that I need these drugs to get through the day. My doctor, who doesn't know I have been taking mOre than prescribed, I have asked him to help me taper over a month off of oxycodone. First 4 a day, than 3, than 2, than 1 1/2, than 1, than none. Or at least that's my intention. If I taper off of 10mg oxy's at this rate, will I go through withdrawal at all? Most of my addiction is physical, the thought and the feeling of those WDs I just can't handle. I want so badly to stop, for many many reasons... But mostly cause I want to feel normal again. The pain from the IC is awful, awful pain, but feeling this way, running out of a script and being irritable with my husband and four kids until I get a refill, I'm done with this... Just done. So here I am,asking one question, and for support and love and strength and prayers while I begin this journey. I know I can do it, I pray that I will. Thank you all In advance for your support. I will check back often of cheers and prayers, because I know you all are do great at giving it. Please don't forget about me, I need your help to make it through. Also, please don't forget to let me know if you think I will have WDs at all... I need to know how to prepare... Thanks all!!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am unsure if you will have withdrawls or not. BUT

Sending lots of love, strength and support your way!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! I would also like any suggestions you all have that I can do while I'm tapering to boost my health and make it easier to taper...things to eat, vitamins to take, anything that has worked for you in the past.... I'm excited to see where I am in a day, in a week, in a month..
Old 08-30-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no expereince to offer as my addiction is to alcohol.
While the de tox symptoms may be similar I really don't know

My de tox was over with by 4 days and I was a hard core long
term drinker ...age 53 when I quit..
I had not tapered ..did not use any drug for with drawing.

Welcome to our recovery community ..
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! My DOC (drug of choice) was crack, though I did go through a period of abusing opiates I didn't have withdrawals.

There are many people here who have though, and I'm sure they will be along. I've read the withdrawals are like a bad case of the flu - keep immodium, ibuprofen and drinks like powerade/gatorade handy. Hot baths help with the restless legs.

Not saying you will HAVE any of these issues, just passing on what I've read on other threads.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi dying to quit
Tapering off pain pills helps to soften the landing, but from my experience you can't completely escape withdrawal. I've tapered off prescription opiates more times than I can count, and what I do know is that it'll never be any easier than NOW...guaranteed.
I too suffer from chronic pain and migraines. What I found was that after I developed a dependence and the drugs stopped working, the pain actually worsened. It will take some time, but once you get past the withdrawal, their may be other ways to manage your pain.
Just hang in there and remember you've been on this stuff for five years so it's gonna take sometime for your system to get back to normal.
Good luck to you.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, and you might want to think about how you're going to stay sober once you're off the pills. I desperately wanted to be drug free...have been trying to stay clean for more than a decade, but until I had a plan for staying clean, it was just too easy to go back to drugs.
Maybe start by working with your Doc to figure out what other options you have for dealing with your interstitual cysitis.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you doing today DYINGTOQUIT? I hope well. I've made it over 4 months now being off the Opiates and feel great. I did it cold turkey and hid it from everyone.... When I was in bed for my WD, my kids thought I had the flu. My whole documentation hourly for the first few days is in my thread here. I wish you Lots if good positive vibes your way! Once you get to the other side, you will look back and see it was all so worth it! YOU ROCK!!!! Keep it up! and keep posting!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi I tryed tapering the WD symptoms started on day two after about a week of it I gave up on the tapering and went cold it took about a week and a half to start feeling better but it is worth it .I'm a lil over a month in and I feel a thousand times better than I did using and I was on them for a total of 6 years .....good luck if u need any advise there is plenty here
Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am one to say tapering doesn't work but there are others who will tell you it helped them. Withdrawals will never put you inthe hospital or kill you. It just takes a few days and saves all the screwing around taking a half a pill less and counting every grain of oxycodone as it slowly disappears. My philosophy is that as long as you are taking anything you haven't quit and until you quit you are highly susceptible to relapse. hell, you will be susceptible to relapse until you die. One can look at withdrawal as a way to toughen you for the long haul as it is a life long decision.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hanging in there... That's all I am for now... Thank u all for the support and experiences I need it, so keep em comin
Old 09-02-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I feel your pain. Soo so much.
I too am about to start tomorrow.
Only.. I'm quitting cold!

It's gonna suck, no doubt.
But we were FINE before this drug.
We will be more than fine without it.

I will pray for you.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can do this, dyingtoquit.
For me, the acute withdrawals were the easy part. It's months down the road when I'm not yet feeling 100% and I tell myself I can take "just one". Smart, AA/NA, meditation, journaling, exercise...something different. Plan now for how you're are gonna handle the cravings later on.