Notices

Thinking of starting running

Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking of starting running

Like many of you, this is not my first attempt at quitting alcohol and there have been many failed attempts in the past. Before I vowed never to drink again 14 days ago I really tried to understand why I kept failing, sometimes after months of sobriety. I just couldn't understand it, after days/weeks/months of feeling so much better for not drinking I would return to the wretched stuff, often in greater quantities!

I made a mental checklist of things I would do different this time, they are as follows....

1) visit the SR forum daily without fail
2) Talk to my wife whenever I'm having a weak moment
3) When I'm having a rough day, go with it, don't try and over analyse. Do the best I can and tell myself that whatever I do that day is enough!
4) keep busy and stay positive.
5) Start running!

I'm sure everyone has something they would love to do now they have given up drinking, for me it's running. I would love to get fit and shed this awful 20-30 kg I have gained over my drinking career and give myself an outlet for all this excess energy I will have as my sobriety continues. On previous attempts at quitting, I didn't channel my energy into new hobbies/sports/activities and I don't want this to happen again.

Would really appreciate some experiences on taking up new activities!

Julynine
Old 07-22-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

By all means Julynine, your plan is a good one. Even though I'm 2 years sober I have to get off my lethargic arse and get busy with a plan. Thank you for the FANTASTIC thread.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Going to AA meetings regularly did/does the trick for me.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I started running and exercising when I quit. It really is a great way to channel your thoughts away from drinking.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been focusing more on my yoga and meditation which has the added benefit of helping to keep me relaxed. Also hobbies are good to keep your mind occupied, read a book, go take a class or get involved in a sporting activity. I like to paint and I've also been keeping a journal and writing a lot more.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was a runner even when drinking and using, but when I started trying to stop I took up rowing, lifting, swimming and yoga. Didn't help, I still keep relapsing but I'm pretty damned fit so that's nice. Be careful if you've got extra weight, it can be hard on your joints. Might want to start swimming at first.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did a mindfulness course for 8 weeks. Really helped me, I try to do it every day as helps my frazzled brain calm down.

I am thinking about going back to running, but keeping up mindfulness to de-stress, and maybe trying yoga.

runnersworld.co.uk
and runnersworld.com

Have lots of advice on running. There are also starter apps you can get to help you train.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have a good plan. I find that balance is what works for me.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

Running keeps me from drinking and not drinking keeps me running. Start slow. You have the rest of your life to get faster. It is better to start slow and increase mileage is small increments rather than getting hurt and having to stop. Exercise and a good diet are two of my main sobriety keys.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Great thread.

I too have got fitter since being sober. I swin 4 mornings a week before work and go to the gym. I love it. The dogs get really good walks now. I look so much better and have already got shape and dropped a dress size. I also now have more energy during the day and because I exercise I have a more natural 'tired' feeling at night and sleep the best sleeps I have had in years

I have started back with my hobbies too - knitting, gardening, cooking, sewing, reading. I hope to get back to writing and drawing again soon.

I am relishing my soberity. I think all these positives help me cope with any bad days, stress or desire to pick up a drink.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Excellent plan! I like to run too. I try to sign up for an 5K, 8K (even did a half!) a few months beforehand and then work towards that goal. It keeps my mind off of drinking, and is a great workout as well! Happy running! :-)
Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Way to go!

I heard the App or site, Couch to 5k is a great program for beginner runners. I might check it out, too!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Way to go!

I heard the App or site, Couch to 5k is a great program for beginner runners. I might check it out, too!
I just downloaded it. Thanks!

Julynine
Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exercise is a great idea.

When I quit drinking I got into tennis. Now I play 3 - 4 times per week at a pretty competitive level, it's been a great outlet.

I know a guy in AA who quit drinking several years ago. Now he runs marathons and he's 62.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Go for it. I now workout each day. The weekends were the worst for me so yesterday I swam on base and then this a.m. I hit the gym. Felt great after each workout, no way I want to trash it drinking. I also do boxing and bjj during the week to mix things up, after those workouts water is tough to drink let alone anything else. Lol. Good luck. Oh yeah, if you can swing it get fitted for shoes, makes all the difference in the world and prevents injuries.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Nice

If you do start running please put in a couple miles for me , I HATE it. LOL. But I love playing things like tennis, golf, any thing really. But just running for the sake of running do it if you can.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Phiysical activity was essential for me in early recovery. I would suggest you get a check up from your Doctor first before starting.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Reading and running help me a lot. Reading at night, running in the morning. Two things I sure never did when I was drinking.
I realized recently how much I missed reading. When I was younger, I always had a book with me. And running gives me extra physical and mental strength and tons of energy!

(Totfit is right though, start slowly! I started too fast, I hurt my back, and had to stop for 10 days, and went back to drinking instead...)

And of course SR helps me a great deal. Last night it pretty much saved me from a relapse.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Exercise was an enormous part of my recovery and my return to health. I can't recommend it enough!

The only thing is to start slowly if you haven't exercised in a while. You don't want an injury to sidetrack you before you've even gotten started!