View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Julynine

Thinking of starting running

Like many of you, this is not my first attempt at quitting alcohol and there have been many failed attempts in the past. Before I vowed never to drink again 14 days ago I really tried to understand why I kept failing, sometimes after months of sobriety. I just couldn't understand it, after days/weeks/months of feeling so much better for not drinking I would return to the wretched stuff, often in greater quantities!

I made a mental checklist of things I would do different this time, they are as follows....

1) visit the SR forum daily without fail
2) Talk to my wife whenever I'm having a weak moment
3) When I'm having a rough day, go with it, don't try and over analyse. Do the best I can and tell myself that whatever I do that day is enough!
4) keep busy and stay positive.
5) Start running!

I'm sure everyone has something they would love to do now they have given up drinking, for me it's running. I would love to get fit and shed this awful 20-30 kg I have gained over my drinking career and give myself an outlet for all this excess energy I will have as my sobriety continues. On previous attempts at quitting, I didn't channel my energy into new hobbies/sports/activities and I don't want this to happen again.

Would really appreciate some experiences on taking up new activities!

Julynine