Notices

I picked up the poison

Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I picked up the poison

After a couple of months of being sober I picked up again after a very stressful move. What is wrong with me? I can't seem to go anymore than 2 or 3 months of being sober. I want to drink so much right now. I feel like I triggered my craving big time. I'm scared right now. I don't go to AA, which is probably something I should look into. But never really liked it when I went before. I don't have support from family because they all drink.
I'm just really afraid. Thank you for reading.

Theresa
Old 07-11-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Theresa,

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us. I hope you do whatever you need to do, in order to stay sober.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

What did you not like about AA if i may ask?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I am only using this board as my support and I'll be at 40 days tomorrow! Please hang with us. This board is a wealth of information and support. =) You can do this Theresa.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's nothing wrong with you that's not wrong with the rest of us Theresa
If AA's not your thing would you be open to other recovery groups?

D
Old 07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never connected with anyone in AA.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey theresa, glad you are here. Please keep reading and posting. I know you will find the right answers if you do.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Many of us relapsed after periods of sobriety. I did it many, many times and asked myself the same questions you're asking yourself. It happened because we have an addiction and that addiction is hard to kill. It doesn't make you a bad person or a weak person, it just makes you human. You CAN beat it with the right tools ... a program, tools, and lots of support. Coming here is a great start. We are happy to help.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

What tools are you using now, Theresa? I needed an alternative to the smirnoff bottle when I got antsy, which started to be every other hour. I needed a different way of looking at myself in relation to the world around me.

I found the idea of learning how to watch myself, like a fly on the wall, gave me some space in my mind around my feelings. It let me experience these feelings and look at them without having the imperative to do something, dammit. I learned to force this reaction by focusing my attention on my breathing, watching the whole physical process very carefully.

This helped me take a step back and decide if I was going to start drinking again, or if I was going to stick to my promise to myself. Maybe the idea of mindfulness can help you too.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was the same way, couldn't seem to get much time before caving in to the obsession. But with the help and support from the members here and from my addiction counselor I never gave up trying and now have well over two years sober. It IS possible to stay sober but I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink. It took me a while to get to that point but once I did there was no stopping me.

I am sober today with the help of SR and my counselor. You can be sober too. :ghug3
Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Theresa. I did the same thing many times - until I finally convinced myself my old 'friend' was doing nothing to help me feel better. Every time I picked up it led to misery. I had lost all control and it was becoming dangerous. It took me a while, but I finally decided not touching it was the only way.

Glad to see you here with us - you can kick the stuff out of your life, Theresa. We want to help.