Notices

Cant sleep at all since i stopped drinking

Old 07-08-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant sleep at all since i stopped drinking

I literally just made this account to inquire on this question. I was drinking like really hardcore, wake up drink-pass out-wakeup drink-passout etc etc. Im making an effort to stop but two nights ago was my first night trying to sleep. i only quit drinking july 6th. and i literally didnt sleep all night and slept for maybe an hour at best from like noon to 1pm or so waking up like 3 different times. and rigth now its 7am where i am and earlier tonight i only slept from 2am till 4:30am and it was the same routine, i was falling asleep into a really wild dream and id wake up literally 5 minutes later. this is how 3 dreams in a row went literally, first one: the cops and all the search dogs came into the house and i went and grabbed my gun quick and the one dog attackd my dog. then i woke up, 2nd dream: i was sleeping in my dream and heard my dog outside barking like crazy and it was getting eaten by a wolf lol then 3rd dream: my girlfriend freaked out on me when i was dead sober in my dream saying i was all messed up and kicked me out. all those happend prolly within a 20 minute period. was so bizarre and now i am wide awake. i got 3 1/2 hours total in the past 2 days. anybody else have this happen to them?? any input would help. thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had a hard time getting into a sleep pattern in the beginning.

I highly recommend AA meetings where you will meet lots of people just like you on the road to recovery.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's normal to experience some sleep problems when we first quit Mateo. Have you spoken to a doctor about quitting? It's not good to just stop without some medical support.

Welcome to SR I hope you stick around and keep posting x
Old 07-08-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your new sobriety!

YES, this is a common occurance after quitting drinking. There are several threads on this. It happens, and it eventually passes. Not fun when you are going through it, but during those sleepless hours, just know that your body is recalibrating and healing. Your nervous system is a literal mess right now, and working on getting back to normal.

Tips:
  • Valarian (sp?) tea. I drink Yogi bedtime tea. You can order it from amazon. Tastes delightful in my opnion, and has a calming effect.
  • Exercise if your body is ready. Even a long walk
  • Don't fight it. Just know it is normal and will happen. Sucks, but this too shall pass.

Others will surely chime in shortly. They are probably still sleeping, as good sleep DOES happen at some point. That is what awaits you.

Welcome again.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

I don't know how much you hace been drinking or for how long, you made need medical attention. Withdrawling from alcohol can be very serious and deadly, I would seek medical advise because your health is important. Find a hospital or a detox center and safely withdrawl then attend AA meetings or find a way which you can stay sober and keep posting and letting us know what is going on. God bless you and take care!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

no i have not seen a dr. im 28years old and have prolly been drinking really bad for maybe 5 years but like most, i started in high school. i just didnt get really bad till i was maybe 23 or 24. and yes i really want to start getting into exercising. and i do drink tea but i mostly drink coffee. i also seem to have zero appetite right now either for the past 2 days.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i can kinda tell some ppl are starting to ignore me who i used to hang out with alot and its bothering me alot. i think the drinking may have something to do with it. im not the violent drunk, i never start fights or anything but i just drink till i pass out and end up forgetting alot of converstaions i have with ppl which lends to semi awkward moments when you see them again and repeat yourself and they are just like " bro, you told me already" and ill try to play it off like " yeah i know, i thought you forgot" or something to that effect
Old 07-08-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mateo39x View Post
no i have not seen a dr. im 28years old and have prolly been drinking really bad for maybe 5 years but like most, i started in high school. i just didnt get really bad till i was maybe 23 or 24. and yes i really want to start getting into exercising. and i do drink tea but i mostly drink coffee. i also seem to have zero appetite right now either for the past 2 days.
Coffee will jack you up. If possible, try and get as much water in you as possible. Even if you aren't thirsty, you have been dehydrated for years.

And yes, check in with a doctor if possible. Seizures are not uncommon 3-4 days in. You don't want that.

And stay with us. Glad to have you here.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well thanks for the advice everybody, i appreciate it! goodluck and godbless!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Get some healthy food in you first off.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm 28 too, and I've been having sleep issues for a long, long time (since I was a child)

In my experience, when you're clean, plants can work really well, especially valerian, passionflower, hops and poppy california (eschscholzia). I try to alternate them.
The good thing is you can take a lot of these, they won't do you any harm, it's only plants, and they disappear quickly from your system.

Another interesting plant is St John's wort, used to fight depression. I found it helpful to have some St John's wort herbal tea an hour before going to bed, and then take some valerian for example, just before sleeping.

To help your body recalibrate, maybe some melatonin pills could help (I used them once for jetlag, and they seemed efficient, but that's all I know)

Otherwise sleeping pills work, but in my experience at first it was ok but then I got used to them and had to take more. And in the end, combined with alcohol and weed, it made me crazy at nights, and I couldn't sleep at all.

And obviously, try to do some exercise, go outside early in the morning, read something before you sleep. I know that I have to turn down my computer at least an hour before I want to sleep.

Good luck, I know how hard and depressing it is not to be able to sleep, but keep the faith, it's gonna change!

And I completely get you about forgetting conversations and repeating yourself. I do (did!) that all the time.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Melatonin

Try melatonin. It works for me. It's at the drugstore.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's totally normal Mateo.

I am on day 6 (again)and still not sleeping.I stopped in Jan and it took about 10 dys to sleep properly. When you do sleep you will be amazed at the quality of sleepyou will hve-deep, refreshing, rejuvenating, proper sleep. not drunken unconscousness.

It is just your brain re-wiring and re-training itself and it will pass.

I agree with others, don't fight it, just accept you might not sleep for few nights, try and relax.

the best thing is, you may be tired but at least you aren't tired and hungover

mybe reduce the coffee, increase your water intake and tke vitamins
Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I experienced the same thing. I am now 44 days out and am sleeping better than I have in years. By the time the end came, my sleep really sucked. I woke up constantly and had so much anxiety about not being able to sleep it was not funny. At rehab, this was a very common problem. There was one woman when I was there who slept about two hours a night for the entire two weeks.
After about 10-15 (?) days, I noticed an improvement. I do drink Sleepytime tea by Celestial Seasonings some nights. Also, and this is going to sound weird, I had to get in touch with what tired felt like. I spent so much time drinking till I passed out that I really didn't recognize what normal tired was. I expected to feel exhausted, like I couldn't hold my head up any longer. Now if it's 11ish, I just go to bed and I always fall asleep within minutes. Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol changes the brain. It disrupts REM sleep and slow wave sleep (SWS). It will take some time to get normal again. It will heal. It's a small price to pay for staying stopped. give time time. Heal well.

Hugs,
Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

When I quit drinking it took a few weeks before I was getting any real sleep. Yes, that is a huge pain.

But...I figured a few sleepless nights would not kill me, whereas continuing to drink definitely would. That helped me keep the insomnia in perspective.

And of course it passed. I've been sleeping like a baby for years.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I couldn't sleep either after I quit putting toxic poisons in my system. Milk with a tsp of honey right before bedtime was a great one for me.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbrooke View Post
I couldn't sleep either after I quit putting toxic poisons in my system. Milk with a tsp of honey right before bedtime was a great one for me.
A good idea-think I may try this too
Old 07-08-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Schiff makes a melatonin-plus supplement that has melatonin, valerian, chamomile, GABA, and I think B vitamin, that's a fairly optimized combination for getting to sleep when you're in withdrawals.

(I don't work for Schiff or own stock, it's just the one I have experience with, can get it at CostCO in bulk for cheap)

Just try to remember clearly how awful withdrawals are right now. Then, if you are tempted to start up with heavy drinking again down the line, bear in mind that when you come to your senses and quit again you get to do the whole no-sleep, cold-hot night sweats, nagging headache for three days, smell like rotting cabbage thing, all over again.

Is best to quit and stay quit, but it doesn't stick for everyone the first time around.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

yeah im also gonna try that milk with honey, never did that .. always just put it in my tea