Notices

desperate for help!

Old 06-30-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

desperate for help!

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and would like to start with why I am here. I started drinking at 16 and it was just the usual out with friends, getting into trouble and never thought any different. As I started getting older maybe 18 I started experimenting with ecstasy, drinking excessively and getting into all kinds of trouble with the law. I managed to stop the drug taking but up until the age of 24, I was still binge drinking, mostly at weekends although I started loding jobs through not making it on mondays. I am now 29 and met my partner 4 and a half years ago and by that time my drinking was getting worse. I have just finished my last binge 2 days ago where I must have had 11 bottles of wine and I was also drinking cider and using cocaine. That was in the space of 4 days were I didn't wash once and it's been like this since I met my partner although I can go sometimes 3 months, sometimes 6 months but I always end up doing it again. I would like to take control of my life as I have a son, I am in a job although I must have at lost at least ten jobs through the way I've been and my partner has told me it's over. I have arranged to attend my first AA meeting tonight and would like to ask members of the forum is they think this is for me, I will be grateful for the support I am at rock bottom.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome!! i cant say if it is for you, but i know it was for me and been workin good for a lil over 7 years now. gonna send ya a pm with a link to the big book online so you can check it out.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Gary...You're in a good place here for help...Glad you found us...Do I think an AA meeting tonight would be good for you?...It saved my life. I would have to say yes.

Take a look at this site before you go...And hang around here today to read and post.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Tom I will have a look in your opinion do you think I am an alcoholic?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i cant answer that. that is something you have to answer for yourself. there is more to being an alcoholic than just the drinking. the drinking is but a symptom of a much deeper problem. if you read the 1st 164 pages of the big book and find yourself in it, then you may be an aloholic.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Tom I will have a look in your opinion do you think I am an alcoholic?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks sapling I will have a look I would just like to ask your opinion I have already asked other peoples not on the forum and they think the AA is for people who drink 24/7 my father is like this although he has never seeked help I am scared to go and be told I don't really have a problem they can help me with
Old 06-30-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! They won't tell you they can't help you! They will welcome you too.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
I have arranged to attend my first AA meeting tonight and would like to ask members of the forum is they think this is for me, I will be grateful for the support I am at rock bottom.
Absolutely. You will feel right at home very soon.

All the best.

Bob R
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks sapling I will have a look I would just like to ask your opinion I have already asked other peoples not on the forum and they think the AA is for people who drink 24/7 my father is like this although he has never seeked help I am scared to go and be told I don't really have a problem they can help me with
Let me ask you an honest question....Do you have a desire to stop drinking?...Is it causing problems in your life?
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gary

I'm not in AA but I know from people here who are the only thing you need is the desire to stop drinking.

Sounds to me like you have that

You'll find a lot of support here too - good to have you with us
D
Old 06-30-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies and the honest answer to that question is YES!!! E erytime in my life I feel it is under control it happens again and I can't live my life like this anymore I feel like I am an alcoholic even though I don't drink everyday and can stay sober for some months at a time I do think about it
Old 06-30-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's all you need to be a member Gary...Go in there with an open mind....You will meet some incredible people that are just like you...Take their suggestions and let them help you...And you don't ever have to drink again...That's all I did.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Gary (I lived four years in Glasgow!) Nobody else can TELL you whether you're an alcoholic/addict, but if it's been causing problems in your life and you want to stop...then it won't hurt to give AA a try and you will be welcomed.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad to have you with us. Keep posting.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Gary. I have an old high school buddy who lives in the UK and we are both in AA. An ocean apart, but we are both drunks and both in AA. I found this out at my 32nd class reunion last week. We compared a lot of notes and AA is pretty much the same but maybe less religious in the UK (he in in Liverpool) whereas I am in the USA bible belt.

Read the link provided by Sapling - it is right on target.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Although AA wasn't for me long term, it gave me that initial helping hand into sobriety that I very much needed. Please get yourself to the meeting. Those Boys in 'your neck of the woods' are rock solid, i'm certain they'll really help you.
The Very Best Of Luck.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I will attend the meeting tonight and let you guys know how I get on I'm overwhelmed with the words of support already coming my way and hope I can rid myself of this demon for good!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We're with you brother!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am at rock bottom.
Congratulations! You are no longer at rock bottom. You'll have your ups and downs but you have certainly bounced up!!